Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Edsel - - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

Thanks Tom, Mike John and Don. Love your comment on the "lumpy vinyl roof Tom. Yeah John, it's coming along. I'm hoping to have it finished up by tomorrow sometime.

OK we've got an update today. The clearcoat is polished, the BMF work is done, the paint is touched up where needed, the headliner is painted and the glass is in. Pics follow...

58EDSELHEADLINERPAINTED1024x758_zpse911a

58EDSELBODYFOILEDANDWINDOWSIN1024x712_zp

The paint job is not the best I've ever done, nor is the BMF job, but it'll have to do.

I started gluing on the headlights, side grilles, taillights & backup lights. I also glued in the PE honeycomb grille mesh where the kit's molded in grille was. I glued the chrome horsecollar grille to that, and then glued on 5 small chrome bullets in the center of that onto the mesh. IT LOOKS SO FREAKIN' COOL...!!! Sorry, no pictures of it yet...... you'll have to wait for the Under Glass Pics for THAT reveal. Another day and it'll be done.

Thanks for following along.

I got the idea for the bullets in the grille from a Googled picture of a mild custom '58 Edsel, which is how I'm making this one.

Thanks a lot for all your encouraging comments everyone.

Yes John, the foiling does get to be a chore on the 50's land yachts that I've been building. I have to replenish my supply of fresh BMF. The last couple of sheets that I opened were so crinkled and the foil tears where the crinkles are. It's so bad that I can't use about a third of the sheets... what a waste..!!

Grant, the car should be finished tomorrow and I'll post pictures then. Tonight I mounted the body to the interior / chassis assembly and installed all of the engine compartment doo-dads and details. Pretty much all that's left to do is attaching most of the chrome stuff on the body, the continental kit and lake pipes.

David, the kit glass has locator pins to hold them in but I always use a couple of small drops of non-fogging CA glue to tack them in and then go around the edges with Elmer"s Glue using a toothpick.

Thanks Dan and Bill. Dan I actually can't wait to finish this one up so I can REALLY get going on the '58 Caddy from our trade. I've started work on the Caddy's engine and chassis but that's all aside now so I can finish up this Edsel.

• 2 weeks later...