#1 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I ran into this ebay ad today and couldn't believe my eyes. What do you think guys...is it hokum?

T2eC16ZyEE9s5jGJoBRKrpvgPg60_57.jpg

#2 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

That is actually a promotional piece for the movie.  The kit inside is just a Camaro or something.  I love that movie!

Edited by Tom Geiger, 28 February 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#3 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

So there really was a kit? I mean the guy showed pics of a bagged model but I kinda thought this was one of those homemade boxes made as a gimmick or something. Well i'll be a monkey's uncle! :lol: 

#4 Von Don Koolkat

Von Don Koolkat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Don 'Koolkat' Graham

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Back when it was a current kit, my sealed one had a funny car kit in it when I opened it. I was highly perturbed, to say the least. The 'point' was you don't know what you are getting when you purchase a  'used car', and you may get ripped off. Someanager's idea of a practical joke, I'm sure? It is a rare kit - it's reputation got around.

Edited by Von Don Koolkat, 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#5 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I ran into this ebay ad today and couldn't believe my eyes. What do you think guys...is it hokum?

T2eC16ZyEE9s5jGJoBRKrpvgPg60_57.jpg

I couldn't see the picture that you posted, but I wonder if it is the same picture that was printed in one of SAE's April issues...

#6 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yep its a real kit only thing is it had a mid to early 70s Camaro kit inside it....had one as a kid wish I still had at least the box.

#7 von Zipper

von Zipper

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Smith

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

That kit is real-and so is the price.

Great movie, I saw it at the drive in when it first came out-and just bought a CD copy from Barnes and Noble ($8.50) since you started this post.

Funny Stuff !

#8 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name:Michael S. Crowley

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Love that movie.  

The part where they are fishing for guys from the other car lot and smack that guy in the face with the $5 bill tied to a fishing line made me soda coming out of the nose lose it with laughter.

#9 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Funny I haven't seen or hear this movie in 20+ years about two weeks ago I put it on my netflix and since doing so It has popped up 2-3 times in conversations and such

#10 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Guaranteed used cars!  We guarantee they're used and we guarantee they're cars!

#11 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

So two guys got Camaro's and another got a Funny car. I wonder how many different kits were used for this? (yes "used" was a pun :D ) Anyone get anything different?

#12 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I love Toby

Edited by Austin T, 28 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#13 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I was thinking that the kit was more in the area of a hundred bucks, not five hundred. I don't care how rare they are, that's insane level prices. I would rather spend fifty dollars making up the box art, that's all that is really worth the money.

And Used Cars was not a B movie, its a great movie that is almost a classic. Any movie with an Edsel, Pinto and a 57 Chevy is a great movie.

#14 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

And Used Cars was not a B movie, its a great movie that is almost a classic. Any movie with an Edsel, Pinto and a 57 Chevy is a great movie.

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as i'm concerned yes, it was a B movie.

#15 Deano

Deano

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Full Name:Dean Eubanks

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

That 'kit' has been on my grail list for years and at that price will remain so.  No way I'd pay that even if I could!

#16 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

So two guys got Camaro's and another got a Funny car. I wonder how many different kits were used for this? (yes "used" was a pun :D ) Anyone get anything different?

I thought I read some years back in SAE.....before they became "that other forum" that these were promotional items sent out to reviewers, theaters, and such to push the movie.  About the only thing the kits had in common was the lid, instructions, and that there was a car in the box.

#17 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's out on video?

I'll have to get that. I remember when CBS ran it when I was about ten or so. I thought it was one of the funniest movies I ever saw.

Now that I'm an adult, I'm sure it'll be even more funny and I'll get the jokes Dad didn't want to explain to me.

Charlie Larkin

#18 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Fun movie!

#19 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

That Movie was filmed just west of downtown Mesa Arizona. The carlot across the street was Darner Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge. An Icon in mesa for probably better than fifty years. The dealership was taken away from the Darner family in about 2008 when Chrysler did the reorganiztion thing. The building has some old classic Chrysler cars in it but remains unused. The Wigwam trailer park, and the old carlot. used for the film were both torn down shortly after the movie was filmed. The trailer park, used to sit about 5 miles to the west of Mesa in nearby Tempe Arizona, close to the ASU campus.

#20 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

That Movie was filmed just west of downtown Mesa Arizona. The carlot across the street was Darner Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge. An Icon in mesa for probably better than fifty years. The dealership was taken away from the Darner family in about 2008 when Chrysler did the reorganiztion thing. The building has some old classic Chrysler cars in it but remains unused. The Wigwam trailer park, and the old carlot. used for the film were both torn down shortly after the movie was filmed. The trailer park, used to sit about 5 miles to the west of Mesa in nearby Tempe Arizona, close to the ASU campus.

Cool! Thanks for that bit of history Gabriel. B)