Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember the B movie "Used Cars"?

I was on evilbay today and found a Columbia Pictures movie promo of Kurt Russel's "USED CARS" movie. It actually has a model kit in the box but is not even close to what is on the out side. It is just a movie promo not intended for actual construction. Here's a link if you want to bid, He's asking $200 OBO. I think it's great. I think it's probably the same model kit that they used for the Kenny Rodgers' "SIX PACK" promotion, an early 80's Camaro Stock Car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURT-RUSSELL-USED-CARS-MOVIE-1980-MODEL-CAR-BRAND-NEW-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-/131291610795?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1e9196feab

usedcarmodel3_zps0dd603a5.png

usedcarmodel1_zps7c638a8d.png

usedcarmodel2_zpsc6451ee2.png

Edited by rsxse240

That is neat, haven't seen one for many years! The way I heard the story was it was a promotional thing and the box art was the best part. The "kit" inside was anything, possibly not even parts from the same kit or the correct/enough parts to build it into anything. I'd still like to get one though.

And the instructions were just as funny part, if you can find a copy - I'd like to see them posted on that Fotki page.

(I wonder if the person who thought up this promotional item saw that "$257 Ford" model kit piece from National Lampoon? <_< )

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This promotional item contained one of several different MPC kits from the era, anything from street cars, NASCAR, or dragsters were put in. The "kits" were often just a bunch of parts from the regular version of whatever made it in the box, almost never complete and buildable as supplied, and sometimes even included a tree or other parts from other, unrelated kits. Back in the late '80s, I turned one down for $10. As it turned out, not one of my better decisions.

-MJS

He is asking for "BEST OFFER" so the worst he can do is say no to your offer. I would love to see one of you guys collect this. I am going to see if I can find it on Netflix. If I do, I may end up bidding on the model. lol, unless it's like ANY of Kurt Russel's early stuff and I can't sit through the intro. hahaha

Good lord, somebody bought it! The seller should change their handle to "rudyrusso". :lol:

Saw one of these a couple times at the kit collector show in Orange County, CA many years ago - the seller wanted around fifty bucks for it then ("Fifty bucks never killed anybody", but it would have injured my budget too much...).

I was on evilbay today and found a Columbia Pictures movie promo of Kurt Russel's "USED CARS" movie. It actually has a model kit in the box but is not even close to what is on the out side. It is just a movie promo not intended for actual construction. Here's a link if you want to bid, He's asking $200 OBO. I think it's great. I think it's probably the same model kit that they used for the Kenny Rodgers' "SIX PACK" promotion, an early 80's Camaro Stock Car.

And the "lucky" winner of that auction is a good friend of mine...

Great movie. Even funnier if you worked for car dealerships back in the day. Some of the stuff portrayed in that movie was not far from the truth on things that use to happen in car dealerships. Especially in the used car departments. It was exaggerated, but close to true stories I had heard, or in some cases even seen. There use to be some very interesting characters in the car business back in the day. Not so much today.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Can you get him to scan and post the instructions pleeeeez?

To be brutally honest, I doubt he would do that for this forum. You can thank the site and magazine owner for the way my friend views this forum now.

I guess treating people badly even on a model car forum can have unforeseen repercussions.

Amazon has the DVD, and I used to have two of the "vehicles" used in the movie. I worked as a grip on the film, and bought the 3-wheel Westcoaster US Mail truck and a clapped-out Dodge Coronet from the Propmaster. Great popcorn movie!

Are there any other surviving cars you know of from the movie - in particular the two '58 Edsels used in Luke's last scene? (I don't mean the '59 that was blown up, but the two '58 four-doors (one Pacer hardtop, one Ranger sedan)?