#21 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I live less than four miles from the Main street lots where it was filmed, that area is almost totally unrecognizable from the late '70s.

-MJS

#22 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

"B" movie? Nah, that's classic stuff!

Notice on the box top it says :

"Impossible to Assemble"

Promo gag that garnered a cult following.

#23 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

The car pictured on the box is a '67 Galaxie, but that's not what is inside the box. The USED CARS kit was a giveaway item made to promote the movie. Inside the box was a bag of plastic parts from a late-Seventies MPC kit. Some of these contained Dodge pickup kit parts, most contained a Camaro kit. One I saw had the bag of parts from the Camaro but the plated tree from the Dodge pickup. The instruction sheet was a joke item with "tips" on prepping a used car. The kit wasn't meant to be assembled, and probably couldn't be assembled with what was in the box. I don't think all of these kits had plated trees, clear parts, or tires.
As an aside, in the mid-Eighties a pilot episode was filmed for a potential USED CARS series. Nobody picked it up, and I'm not sure it aired on network TV. The pilot is available if you know where to look for it (I've seen it; it's not worth bothering with). At the time, I had heard that if the series had aired, AMT had (or was going to get) licensing to produce a series of three or four USED CARS kits. Supposedly, one would have been the '66 Buick Wildcat (this was before that kit appeared in the AMT/Ertl Customizing series). No idea if any of this is true, but the series was never picked up anyway...

#24 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Either the original this post is about didn't sell or there's another on up on the bay right now.

#25 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Before this thread I had just seen bits and pieces, since then I have seen the entire movie. Does anyone know if they make a 1977 Mercedes like the one that they blew up in the movie? I would love to make a diorama of that commercial.