#22 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

This is a short tutorial on how to make the 41 Chevy grille a lot better looking.

You will need some mini files, an exacto saw blade and handle, a #61 drill bit and pin vise,some scrap plastic for repairs, Tenax, a good primer like Mr. Surfacer or Tamiya grey and some gloss black Tamiya paint...... and of course Alclad Chrome (don't forget an air brush).

Here we go.....this is what you start with:

StartHere-vi.png

Strip the kit chrome (I use bleach)....

Start by drilling out the surface between the grille bars with a #61 drill.  WORK SLOWLY!!!!!!!

Work from the INSIDE to the outer surface.....trust me.... go the other way and disaster will strike...

Like this.......I carefully sawed out the area between the holes with the exacto mini saw blade (fits the #11 handle).

HalfWay-vi.jpg

You end up with this.....

GrilleFullNoPrime-vi.jpg

Clean up the bars with mini-files....and shoot with grey primer.........you get this....

I also added vertical support rod from scrap behind the upper grille area as well....

GrilleInPrimer-vi.jpg

Once the primer is dry shoot the grille with SHINNY GLOSS BLACK paint...... DO NOT USE GREY PRIMER as the base....

It simply does not work well.....unless you want the grille to look like it was painted with silver paint.....

Use Alclad Chrome and lay down several smooth coats at a steep angle so the lacquer will not bounce and spread.....

Polish lightly with a kleenex and......

Final result....... (before and after) you be the judge.... I think it was worth it!!!!!  

Regards Bill (Duntov)

SidebySide-vi.jpg

One more of the final product.....you can see the vertical support bar that I added....

Perfect-vi.jpg

I did a similar approach but didn't drill all the holes.  Iused a fine razor saw that fits in a No 11 Xacto handle.  Same effect.  But really tedious.  But the hood hinging to be realistic is the next challenge.

#23 Taxdude

Taxdude

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Farrand

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'm going to have to try this and I don't even have plans to build a 41.  Probably will once i'm done

#24 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Excellent tip!!!

Thank you for posting it!!!!!!!!

#25 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

yes on my second build on this truck i really want to try this thanks for sharing.

#26 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Bill-

I'm in the process of building a 41 right now and I am definitely going to have to try this. The difference is night and day.

Later-

#27 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

I made the mistake of opening the end slots and the frame broke in the lower passenger corner. sigh ....