72 replies to this topic

#21 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,222 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

There's a kit number and everything. I wonder what happened to it?

Revell had the start on the same one!

I'm guessing they got wind of Revell's nearly exact same kit and didn't follow through with theirs. Maybe whatever MPC had started turned into the Action Snaps kits, so at least they got something out of their effort?

Fascinating stuff, these "ghost" kits.  :)

#22 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Like in the real car buisness...

model kit makers "spy" & get infos on rivals, no doubt that the "APACHE" project developement was "terminated" when MPC got the news that Revell in L.A. was already on the exact same case circa the same years.

Note the serial product number of the APACHE kit,....just following the brand new reetooled SM version of the PETTY Charger, in '78...gone today! ;)

Also check out the other ghost kit....1/20 '56 Ford Pickup with dirt bike in box :wub:

#23 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

After cracking open the Sodbuster kit I discovered that the fender emblems are actually Custom Deluxe 20 instead of Scottsdale 10 interesting!

#24 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,222 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

One thing I didn't care for on the MPC stepsides is the fact the bed and fenders are all molded as one piece. I suppose this helps keep everything aligned, but the detail just doesn't seem to be as nice, at least compared to the Revell 1/25 and Monogram 1/24 scale multi-piece beds.

Here is the decal sheet for kit number 1-0416. Feel free to copy/move/use this at will, Chris:

MPCChevyShortbedORSSPup1-0416.jpg

#25 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Casey, is that kit molded in white? It is the only one in this series that I'm not sure about. I have a built-up 4x4 kit that didn't have any decals on it and is molded in white...

The bed in the Revell kit is a California Stepside and nowhere near an accurate representation of the actual GM bed. The Monogram beds are nice and would be my choice to try and build an 8' stepside bed (they did exist). Yes, the Monogram kits are nice and have the advantage of a full-detail Blazer/Jimmy, but quirk for quirk I still say the MPC kits are the best bet for a good scale squarebody.  B)

Here are the Sodbuster decals:

sodbuster_decals.jpg

Edited by kataranga, 09 March 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#26 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Wish I had known some of these had Custom Deluxe trim.

At one time I was trying to do a copy of a classmate's 1:1.

#27 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

Only the Sodbuster has Custom  Deluxe and it's only the fender emblems. The interior is still Scottsdale with buckets and console, and the wrap-around trim panel under the rear window is absent.

#28 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Only the Sodbuster has Custom  Deluxe and it's only the fender emblems. The interior is still Scottsdale with buckets and console, and the wrap-around trim panel under the rear window is absent.

The Ground Shaker is the same way, only molded in blue instead of yellow.

#29 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have one of that release, it is molded in white.

#30 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Now that you mention it, that makes sense as it is the only other one with the 81-82 grille. Thanks for correcting me, Bill! :)

#31 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

There's an eBay auction up for the first issue of this kit that you can check out here. A very good look at the chrome tree and decals. Pretty steep starting price, mind you.

#32 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,222 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

The box shows a 2WD truck but I seem to remember someone claiming that this is actually a 4WD; can anyone confirm/deny? Edit: Thanks to 1972coronet for confirming that this was indeed the only 2WD offering!

2WD truck Rally wheels:

125ChvyRally1.jpg

Custom grille and rear step bumper from one of these kits:

73upChvyPUparts.jpg

#33 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Are you the one that paid $69.99 for that kit?  ;)

#34 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Is there a 73 -74 grill available for these?

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,222 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Are you the one that paid $69.99 for that kit?  ;)

No. The Rallys were a surprise inside a parts lot eBay buy, and the grille and bumper from a swap meet parts bag, so closer to $6.99.  :D

#36 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

Is there a 73 -74 grill available for these?

Oh how I wish there was. MPC never offered it and I have yet to see one cast in resin. I have seen someone make a 73-74 grille for the Monogram trucks with photoetch mesh; the scale difference between the two probably wouldn't be that noticeable and you'd be able to get away with using the same mesh. 

I'm hoping to get a hold of a Blazer kit someday, might have to wait for the reissue to come out. I want to see if the 75-76 grille from the Blazer will fit the pickups. Also, if the pickup grilles will fit the Blazer. 

#37 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I just checked them, using the original issue 4x4 pickup and the last reissue of the Blazer. The grilles will swap, no problem.

#38 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

This is great news! A 75-76 pickup can be made to match the Monogram kits. With some finagling one can also build any Blazer from 75-82 with fender swapping and modifying the roof from fully removable (73-75) to half-cab (76-91).

#39 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Okay, so, a glaring error that has been staring me in the face if I had just paid attention. I was fiddling with my kits and noticed something strange:

DSC_0724.JPG

The top grille is from the original 4x4 issue. The middle is from the Dust Devil and the bottom is from the Mule Skinner. It looks like for the Dust Devil release they added the chrome surround on the bottom for the 1979 grille, which continued for 1980 as well. Apparently depending on the trim level one got either round or square headlights, which fits in with what Ford and Dodge were doing right around the same time period.

#40 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

One last thing Chris, The grille in the last version of the kit with the blue model on the box is the one from the Hardcastle truck, not the Fall Guy truck. It was the last version before the blue one so it's just what was in the kit. 

After talking about this Tuesday night at the club meeting I dug around to try and find a picture of the Fall Guy box contents. Once again, pj-toys pulled through! 

fallguy1.jpg

The grille in the Fall Guy kit is different than the Hardcastle and later AMT issue trucks. The Fall Guy grille is the 81-82 style while the Hardcastle and later issues are 83-84. The bumper is correct in the Fall Guy kit but wrong in the AMT kit. The grille must've been a separate insert and someone goofed when adding the later grille to the Fall Guy chrome tree.