Welcome to DIY Floor Mats & More. This tutorial will hopefully open up some ideas. The steps in this tutorial are very easy and very basic for what I consider a rewarding end. So let's begin.
*Note: This is a general How To. This is by no means the only way to create Floor Mats & More. This is what I have started using as it is very cheap and very versatile.
I will be making a Truck Bed Cover. By all means, lets your imagination run on this one.
- Flexible Cutting Mats (3 Pack @ WalMart for $4.97)
- Model you are working with
- Sharpie/ Pen
- Scissors (Hobby Knife for more precise cutting) *Be Careful.*
Now that you have your materials needed, let's get started.
1. Here is the packaging for the Flexible Mats:
2. Here is my materials. If you feel you need the assistance of a cat, use your own or contact your local animal shelter for further help. As you can see, I already have my template drawn in the lower left hand corner. Templates can be made in a number of ways. I find that white masking tape is my #1 Go To. You can also use your ruler to measure out your template. Guesstimate and trim as needed.
3. Cut out your template using a pair of scissors or Hobby Knife (these particular mats are very thin and very easy to cut so move slowly).
4. After cutting out your template, do some test fitting before you commit to the final product (gluing). Once you are happy with your final creation, glue as needed and enjoy.
After Thought: As far as I know of, these mats can be painted easily. If you have any other ideas/ uses for the Flexible Mats, by all means post them below. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Also, I would like to see your creations using the Flexible Mats so that the community can build on the topic.