#41 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I think there are a couple female members but they don't show up or post very often.

#42 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,270 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I guess for the most part models are a guy thing. Are there any female builders here ? I never noticed.

Turbokitty.

#43 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

How's this for a switch:  It was my daughter that got me back into the hobby.

She has a very close relationship with my Father, who was in the Luftwaffe during WWII.  This sparked an interest in military history, which led to building aircraft models.  When she asked for my help with her first one it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the hobby when I was younger.  Since then, we've done a couple of joint projects with me doing the painting and/or weathering.  Which is ironic considering she's an art teacher (different skill set, I guess).

She doesn't build cars but has asked me to build a couple for her.  In fact, I've been working on a 1930 Bentley that she picked out for about a year now.

Edited by Shardik, 10 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#44 Dave Ambrose

Dave Ambrose

MCM Avid Poster

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ambrose

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

I have two daughters and a son. Liz, my oldest, used to help me with detail painting. She never really got interested. Rachael, my middle child, likes to build Gundams and dioramas. My son, the youngest, is an excellent builder who likes aircraft and Gundams, but doesn't build much now.

#45 OldTimer50707

OldTimer50707

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Full Name:Lee Burrows

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I have 2 grandsons that have taken an interest in modeling.  The youngest one is into cars and the oldest is in to airplanes and ships but hey, it keeps then from being in front of a TV with video games.

#46 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

My father was not a model builder. He was a bit of a car guy, but being in the military we usually only had one family car and he was  without family in Viet Nam and Korea.  He did buy himself one cool car, a new 1966 Pontiac Lemans 2 door hardtop with a four speed. It was the family car and we left it in Turkey in 1968.

The closest we came to modeling was that my dad was a Studebaker guy and had a '54 which he traded in on a '62 Lark. He was very interest in the Avanti, but knew it wasn't big enough to be a family car so he bought a model kit.  In 1967 we used that model as a pattern to build an Avanti Pinewood Derby car. Best I recall, he never built the kit.

The rest of my modeling was self initiated and directed.  Whenever I'd show him a project I was proud of I'd get the, "If you put that kind of effort into your school work..."

#47 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

My daughter has taken a mild interest in modeling. She keeps asking when she can can get back the bench to finish here clear trailer for her polar lights 1965 Dodge buildup

just gotta clean up some stuff off the bench , get her a chair and let her at it. ( she'll be 13 next month )

Edited by gtx6970, 11 March 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#48 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

My wife say's that I'm playing with my toy's when I go down to my hobby room to build. So, no she has no interest in models.

#49 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I guess for the most part models are a guy thing. Are there any female builders here ? I never noticed.

And now, make welcome, CrazyGirl.

#50 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Dad started me.

There are days he wishes he hadn't....when I really get into a project, you can't distract me. The problem is I have dozens going at once and no real space to do it in. One more reason to move back out, I suppose.

The girls I've dated have seen it more as a curiosity than much of anything else.

My friends give me mixed reaction. Some genuinely don't care, some are in awe of what is at best average building.

Charlie Larkin

#51 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

My 6 year old Granddaughter with her first air brush job.  This is her fifth model car already.  Painted with Testors water based acrylic.  Can you tell she is proud? DSC04882_zpscce04e77.jpgDSC04881_zps9af4f587.jpgNext it's on to welding.DSC04884_zps4fddbf81.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy, 27 March 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#52 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Cool beetle in the background Ron :) ...and your helping Hand in front? I think, she is PROUD - take a look in her eyes!

My father was building loooong time ago after teh WW 2 planes of papersheet. As we (my brother and me are twins) were born, he stopped building.

My own family? i will comment this...

My wife shows no interest in the hobby herself, although she is my BEST critic.  She completely appreciates the time, effort and skills that go into what I build and gets upset with me if I am NOT building.  She looks over my finished builds and can and does point out the little flaw that I may have missed or just didn't or couldn't fix.  

...sounds like my girlfriend. And he is my biggest fan :)

She is the one, who brought me back to the hobby as i was sick. Also she give me her ideas, if i show her (always she want!) updates, what i am building. Often, when i start a new kit, i ask her, in wich direction i will build and what she is thinking about. Colorchoice, interieur etc. Take a look at my last built, the 57 Chrysler - i was "only the builder" of it. Could say, her hands to make her idea truth ;)

I often tried, that she grap a kit to build it herself...

My daughter? NO interest.

My brother is also in the same hobby. Over 300 miles difference of our homes, we meet and great via mobile or german forum.

Edited by Dominik, 04 April 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#53 Johnt671

Johnt671

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:John Romaine

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

My wife and daughter have an interest in my modeling.  Just when I get to a hard to do phase they will come in the room and start talking to me, moving things around and the worse case thing my wife did, bumped the table I was trimming BMF on causing the blade to slip across the model toward my hand.  When I yelled she got mad at me.  I think if I were to go to another country to build my models, they would follow me to share in the building experience.

Edited by Johnt671, 04 April 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#54 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

My kids have both built a couple of kits here and there but it's not their thing. My wife fully supports me in the hobby these days. She thought it was a passing fancy until she saw how serious I was about it.

#55 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

Among my family and friends there isn't a single person who is the slightest bit interested in model cars.

#56 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

CrazyGirl is another female builder here.

#57 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

My wife and daughter have an interest in my modeling.  Just when I get to a hard to do phase they will come in the room and start talking to me, moving things around and the worse case thing my wife did, bumped the table I was trimming BMF on causing the blade to slip across the model toward my hand.  When I yelled she got mad at me.  I think if I were to go to another country to build my models, they would follow me to share in the building experience.

That unfortunately, has been the experience with me and a lot of my friends. They'll come over, or if I want to make progress on something, I'll bring it with me, and it becomes "oooh, look at that!" very similar to Dee Dee in the carton Dexter's Laboratory, in which Dee Dee innocently destroys everything in sight.

Yep, I feel your pain.

Charlie Larkin

#58 Clemi

Clemi

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Full Name:Clemens Köller

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

No one in my family is building models or is interested in it. But ever when I finish a car they say "wow, this looks nice" and like my models. They find them cool but aren't interested in building self.

#59 hotrod4ever

hotrod4ever

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Full Name:Walter

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

I built as a kid.  I introduced models to both my boys.  They both built some but when the girls showed up ....they gone!   Funny thing was,  it reminded me of how much fun I had...so it kept me in the hobby to this day.  Now,  when I do  grandpa daycare,  I usually take a kit I'm working on with me and go after it when my grand daughter takes her nap.  When she awakes she always wants to help build and plays with the wheels.  She's almost 3 and we recently built the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine together,  which she always plays with!

My wife is supportive always suggesting we buy new display cases for the models and will make nice comments like... that's cool...nice paint...that's clever...wow that's really good!  I think I'll keep her!! lol

#60 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Friends...  When I showed one of my models to a friend of mine he asked how many hours were in it.  When I responded he said, "Wow! I remodeled my whole kitchen in less than that!"   I haven't added up the hours in a project since!