Model Cars Magazine Forum

my audi r8 build.

allecb

just built my audi r8. this was such a frustrating build. first i used tamiya lacquer paints for the first time ever... im usually used to enamel. well, the paint was incredible! drying so fast, and not dripping everywhere. no primer, but it turned out good for what im used to, and the color is what i wanted. paint was really good until i had to complete this rotten model.

pieces didnt fit well. headlights were too big for the front a little bit. the engine-window-hinge-doo-hickey was odd, and directions sucked at explaining how to properly fit it.. glue bombed that whole area. windows didnt fit right, and i got glue all over those as well.. (the car is even missing one window. im gonna tear the other one off) the body didnt even fit on the chassis together completely. the wheels dont have a great stance. the decals for some reason wouldnt ever stay on the car. the mesh included was horrible to work with.

the part that DID come out very well, was the interior. my lines and pin-striping looks fairly decent, but i couldnt get a great shot. infact none of the pics are that great, it was all with my iphone.... i wish i could learn how to glue less though. how do you guys build a model, without getting any smudges, or glue-fingerprints everywhere!?!?!?

photo1fo.jpg

photo2kx.jpg

photo3gqw.jpgphoto4ctf.jpg

photo5wv.jpg

car looks really good in this pic!!!

That is areally nice color, the model looks decent. l use a doubled sheet of paper and put my glue on that. l use tooth picks to apply the amout l want to the parts. if you apply glue from the tube or bottle you get to much. l still use testors orange tube glue still. Always test fit parts and wipe your hand on a rag before touching parts. hang in there...

Have to agree. The model is decent. Trust me, it can always be worse. The color is very nice and clear!

Just remember, always test fit every part you can. Also, I try to look ahead in the instructions to see if I can change the process of anything and the way it is installed. Sometimes, you will see that the instructions call for more difficult steps than what they really have to be.

Don't get discouraged! Let's face it, we all have had bad models. Key to remember is to just slow down. If the model is giving you trouble, walk away and take a breath. A clear conscious can open up to new techniques and ideas.

Something else you may want to try with your windows. Before you are ready to glue in place, make sure your glue spots on the body of your model is free of most paint. Scraping will help to adhesion between the body and window.

Hope some of this helps. Take your time and just enjoy the build.

*P.S- Interior looks great!

thanks for all the kind words and tips.

i do know i have to slow down, i just get so ancy knowing that im getting closer to the final product. i didnt have any idea about stripping the paint off so theres better adhesion. and the toothpick is suuuuuuch a good idea.