#21 CadillacPat

CadillacPat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Parker

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

:blink: 60 secs ? Too me that seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Even doing a quick back flush takes a few minutes.

It is an exaggeration Luke, it usually takes less than a minute.

A quick back flush in between paints and colors takes all of 15 seconds.

As I mentioned above, I havent been using an airbrush very long.

But I personally Iike break to down the entire airbrush and give it a full clean after each painting session,which for me usually requires about 5 mins.

Flushing the gun and wiping the cup and needle should take you a lot less than 5 minutes.  At the most 2 minutes.

But even if you personally take 5 minutes I don't consider that a waste of time.

It boils down to how much you want to put into your projects.

From reading RattleCan versus AirBrush posts on many Forums, it is obvious that the AirBrush is misunderstood by a lot of people.

AirBrushing, learning the AirBrush, mixing paints, using good Urethane ClearCoats, all are the icing on the cake of Modeling.

CadillacPat

#22 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

hey thanks for all the info guys , i know i posted this thread but i couldnt find it after , going to get an air brush this week , and i see they have mini spray booths , might as well get that too , and again thanks for the feedback ,, Anne

#23 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

It depends.

Like a lot of people,  if the color I want is in a can, I'll simply use that.

I have a Paasche H that I haven't had a chance to play with yet that I bought over a year ago. I needed a compressor, and I have one on loan.

I would recommend a simple single-action airbrush to start out with. A Badger 250 is a good starter unit, and can be purchased for around $25.00.

Harbor Freight has a nice, small pancake compressor than can be purchased for well under list price with their coupons if you sign up for their e-Mail, and it's perpetually on special. I plan to grab one when I have a little extra money and space.

The H is also a simple airbrush- single action, and all-metal, which I like. They list for around $50.00. I had an Aztek A320, and was never thrilled with it. I never cared for the all-plastic construction, although when I could get it to cooperate, it was fantastic.

Although I don't do a lot of air-brushing, I sincerely enjoy doing it. It's fun, gives more control over the final product and can produce superb results with a short learning curve.

I would recommend staying away from the cheapies at Harbor Freight. I've read quite a few less-than-charitable things about them.

I don't know where in Massachusetts you are, but for shopping for an airbrush, if you're in the eastern part of the state, I would recommend either The Spare Time Shop in Marlborough or Harry's Hobbies in Norton.

Charlie Larkin

#24 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

From reading RattleCan versus AirBrush posts on many Forums, it is obvious that the AirBrush is misunderstood by a lot of people.
AirBrushing, learning the AirBrush, mixing paints, using good Urethane ClearCoats, all are the icing on the cake of Modeling.

CadillacPat

I have to agree with Pat here about airbrushing. It is about learning the airbrush and the paints you are using. You also have way better control of the spray pattern.

#25 935k3

935k3

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Another thing an airbrush is better at is when having to mask and paint window frames and the black trim on window units. Small parts that need  a second color masked and painted. On close  examination and airbrush will always do a better job at painting small parts than a spray can or brush will do, paint thickness is more in scale. Some parts need to be painted but should not look painted(molded plastic, vinyl etc.) and airbrush does this much better.

#26 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

ok , thanks for all the feedback , turns out a few years ago i had some work done on my house and i totaly forgot i had bought an air nail gun kit and it has a compressor , how i forgot i had this i have no idea , anyway as for the airbrush , i have been looking and there are to many to pick from , so i will go with what you guys think is the best one but i would like to keep it under 125 dollars ,,,, thoughts ?? , Anne

#27 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

Anne ,

Dixieart.com , delivered to your door , $ 63.00 . Paache H series set , single action , has every thing you need to get started .

Donn Yost

#28 935k3

935k3

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Check dDon Wheelers excellent airbrush reviews here https://sites.google...nsairbrushtips/

#29 Cool Hand

Cool Hand

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Luke

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

Paasche Talon set complete. from  Coast Airbrush

#30 935k3

935k3

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Paasche Talon set complete. from  Coast Airbrush

I will second this one. Of the four I have including an Iwata the Talon is my favorite.

#31 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

I have a Badger model #200 that I have had for 20 years and its my favorite airbrush. I also have n Iwata dual action that is gravity fed. I like my bager better because I am more comfortable with it.