#21 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

As I said in the thread that disappeared, this makes no sense, given what they are showing on the website and especially given the updated version of the original 1961 box art they're displaying, which shows the roadster and says "Build it as an 'authentic' top down or top up stock roadster."
]

A direct quote, from the Model Kit Development Director at Round2, before the kit appeared on the website;

"...a coupe-only kit, with both stock and chopped 3-window tops and a handful of other original parts"

(partial quote as it contained confidential info)

The features listed on the website confirm this, so it appears to me that someone selected an inaccurate image from the vintage box

Or maybe the text is inaccurate, or out dated and the box top is correct, seeing as how AMT / Round 2 elected to show it on their web site. :o

product.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 14 June 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#22 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

The features listed on the website confirm this, so it appears to me that someone selected an inaccurate image from the vintage box

Yet another example of the picture on the box not being an accurate representation of what is actually in the box. I can see plenty of people being disapointed/upset about not being able to build the roadster version when the box cover specifically says that you can. I was looking forward to getting a few of the up tops. They look good cut down and used as an up top on a deuce roadster.

Pretty clear case of false advertising from my viewpoint.

#23 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hold on Chris, these guys don't speak for the model company's. :o cart-before-the-horse.jpg They  just have the reading's on their secret decoder rings a little off. :lol:

#24 pack rat

pack rat

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Wherry

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Chris....unfortunately I just confirmed the image is wrong.  No roadster parts.

#25 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

Chris....unfortunately I just confirmed the image is wrong.  No roadster parts.

Gee, I can't imagine why that would cause any confusion! :D

#26 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

OK, I'm confused. I thought that the 3 window was the monogram kit and the amt kit was a 5 window. I just dug out my original monogram kit and it is a three window. (hadn't really looked at it in several years) I thought that it was the one with the stock and the chopped top but my memory was not working as well as I could have hoped. Only the stock height 3 window roof is present and is the only one referenced in the instructions.

When did the AMT kit get changed from a 3 window to a 5 window (like the dick tracy issue)? Or did it have both roofs originally?  Also, the 3 window kit that has been released under the revell name a couple of times - is it the same tooling as the monogram kit? I also have an AMT 36 ford roadster that is yellow on the box art and IIRC it has both the roadster parts and a 3 window roof as well. Is that the kit that Round 2 is reissuing? Is it the same tooling as the dick tracy issue but with a different roof section?

I am totally confused now.

Toner, 

From someone who was there back in the day (as a model car builder):  AMT Corporation introduced a 1936 Ford kit in early 1961 as part of their growing Trophy Series of 3in1 car kits.  AMT's kit included parts to build either a roadster or a chopped 3-window coupe, with both the stock flathead V8 and a Pontiac 389 TriPower.  This kit also included stock "wide five" artillery spoked steel wheels and custom wheel covers, the stock grille and a custom '37 LaSalle grille.  About 1964, AMT changed out the chopped 3-window coupe top for a stock height 3-window version, and split up the kit, with the coupe and roadster appearing as separate kits.  In 1987, AMT/Ertl reissued the coupe version, this time with a 5-window top section, under a license from the movie studio releasing the "Dick Tracy" film.

AMT Corporation produced two Model A kits:  In late 1961 they released, as part of a double kit which featured the Barris-built Ala Kart show car, a stock 1929 Model A Roadster with vintage hop up parts.  This double kit continued for another couple of years, and then the Model A roadster was "split out" of the double kit, and reissued on its own, although many of the Ala Kart parts remained on the sprues (which is exactly as their '29 Model A roadster kit has been produced ever since.  In 1964, AMT Corporation released a 1928 Model A Ford Tudor sedan which was designed and tooled up by the then fledgling Model Products Corporation (MPC) who had yet to acquire their own production plant, taking advantage of AMT's far greater market penetration.  MPC later took that '28 roadster back into their house, but never released it as the Tudor, but rather they added a roadster pickup and a '29 Model A station wagon (Woodie) body shell to the tooling.  The latter was reissued several times by MPC over the years, and when AMT/Ertl bought up the MPC tooling in 1986, the '29 Model A pickup/Station Wagon being reissued several times under the AMT/Ertl brand name.

Monogram issued their first Model A Ford kit in the spring of 1961, the 1930 Phaeton, in 1/24 scale (AMT had always used 1/25 scale, never the slightly larger 1/24 scale BTW).  There being some interest in the middle 60's in model kits of antique and classic car kits, Monogram followed the '30 Phaeton with a "6-way" kit of the 1930 Model A Ford coupe and cabriolet (Cabriolet was an open coupe, fold down top with roll up windows and a fixed windshield rather than the folding windshield then traditional on roadsters with their snap on side curtains).  About 1966, Monogram issued the last in their series of 1930 Model A's in  1/24 scale, that being the 1930 Model A Ford station wagon, but this time the kit was available only as a street rod, was never produced with stock Model A parts.

Monogram released, in 1963-64 a 6-way kit of the 1934 Ford cabriolet and 3-window coupe, which IMO was the only truly accurate kit of a '34 Ford ever done (both the early 60's Aurora '34 Ford kit and the three  AMT/Ertl '34 Ford kits --3-window street rod only kit in 1975,Tudor Sedan in 1986, and the 5-window coupe in the circa 2000--have a lot of inaccuracies, some in body shapes, some in signature details such as grille and hood shapes.  The AMT '34 Ford Tudor Sedan was the stock version of this kit, the company substituting a '33 grille and hood as part of the street rod version.

While AMT Corporation introduced 1940 Fords to the model car marketplace first (the coupe in 1959, Tudor Sedan in 1960), the only 1940 Ford pickup was done by Monogram, released about 1963, as a customizing kit, and with a unique twist:  This kit first out available in either of two colors, turquoise and red, the color of the model on the box art indicating which was inside.  This kit could not be built entirely stock from the get-go, as it had diamond tufted custom upholstery on the seat and inner door panels.  The first issue of this kit was the only one, just as with Monogram's '34 Coupe/Cabriolet) to have a stock front axle and stock wheels and tires, all subsequent reissues having a dropped front axle and a variety of aftermarket street rod wheels and tires over the years; the '40 Pickup having its hood and tailgate customized with louver detail.  Monogram modified the '34 coupe, in 1986, to at least loosely represent the ZZ-Top coupe, with it's chopped top, a smooth hood & side panels, and a so-so '33 grille.

Art

#27 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for sharing that with us Art.

#28 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Art, that clears up a bunch of my confusion. I wonder if Revell holds the tooling for the original monogram 6-way kits or just where it has gotten to? I would love to see the Model A's reissued, including the 28 Tudor sedan if the tooling has not been completely destroyed during the changes that were made. I have a real 1:1 29 Tudor sedan and I would love to have a styrene kit of it. there are only minor differences between the 28's and the 29's. I have purchased several of the original kit trying to piece together enough to build one good one. not quite there yet but working on it.

I'm still going to buy at least one of the 36 roadster from AMT even if it does not actually have the roadster parts in the kit.

#29 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Another kit that I'll have to buy at least two. At the rate they keep finding and releasing these kits, added to all the kits I already have I'll never live long enough to build them all.

#30 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I just wanted to add an important difference between the original AMT 3-window/roadster kits (both chopped and later stock height) and the 5-window that has caught me out several times. When AMT re-tooled the 3-window into five window form they also lengthened the cowl, thus shortening the hood. Over the years various resin re-pops of the separate chopped top and an entire chopped 3-window body have been offered. Unfortunately, if you tried to adapt the 3-window roof or 3-window body to a 5-window kit you had to add material to the back of the hood piece. Norm Veber at Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland did it right by offering a replacement hood along with the chopped top for the AMT as a complete set. I'm assuming that part of bAMT's restoration is once again including the longer hood in the kit. If I recall correctly, the roadster-only edition had the longer hood in it.

Other important pieces that disappeared during the 5-window conversion and making a comeback in the new release are the custom full cover hubcaps already mentioned, and the fender skirts which are very pretty.I have had my eye out for an original .issue AMT 36 kit on eBay for quite some time but they always get bid up to quite high prices so I have avoided them. This is really great news. I've always thought the AMT version was a better looking car than the Monogram/Revell offering with nicer skirts and overall lines, although the Monogram kit has a far superior chassis and drivetrain and a more authentice looking "LaSalle" grill option.

#31 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Another kit that I'll have to buy at least two. At the rate they keep finding and releasing these kits, added to all the kits I already have I'll never live long enough to build them all.

Join the club.

#32 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bernard, that's some very useful information ! I really never noticed any of that either . I'm now going to have to go an dig out old builds and take a look !!!!! Thanks .............

#33 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

I don't know why they're using the roadster box art, I'd guess they will draw up some new "retro deluxe" box art for this release.  Here's the sell sheet which hopefully answers a few questions about what will be in there -

AMT824-vi.jpg

#34 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

anyone have a picture of the "artillery wheels" mentioned above?

this kit has me breaking my 'no-new-kits-for-awhile' rule

#35 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

anyone have a picture of the "artillery wheels" mentioned above?...

Here are the stock wheels from the AMT '36 Ford kits:

Without hubcaps:

DSCF4588-web.jpg

With hubcaps:

Details-1-web.jpg

#36 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

I don't know why they're using the roadster box art, I'd guess they will draw up some new "retro deluxe" box art for this release.  Here's the sell sheet which hopefully answers a few questions about what will be in there -

AMT824-vi.jpg

Looks like a roadster to me. :P

#37 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

At least they put "Actual product/packaging may vary from preview image shown." But it's still like putting a picture of a Ford on a Chevy kit box.

#38 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

i just remolded all american resins 36 phaeton. i got the dick tracy kit to fit the doner parts and was puzzled that the hood didnt fit. but i modified the kit hood and i should have the phaeton transkit out next week.

#39 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Will that be with an up top, down top or a chopped top ? 148ford1936phaeton.jpg

#40 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

At least they put "Actual product/packaging may vary from preview image shown." But it's still like putting a picture of a Ford on a Chevy kit box.

Probably that will be the box art they're going to base the new "Retro Deluxe" artwork on, so they just used it as a mock-up image. Box art is usually one of the last things to get done and it'll be December before it's out, so I imagine the actual box art is still a ways away from being finished, if they've even started...

Edited by Brett Barrow, 19 June 2013 - 09:15 AM.