161 replies to this topic

#21 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Another kit that I'll have to buy at least two. At the rate they keep finding and releasing these kits, added to all the kits I already have I'll never live long enough to build them all.

#22 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I just wanted to add an important difference between the original AMT 3-window/roadster kits (both chopped and later stock height) and the 5-window that has caught me out several times. When AMT re-tooled the 3-window into five window form they also lengthened the cowl, thus shortening the hood. Over the years various resin re-pops of the separate chopped top and an entire chopped 3-window body have been offered. Unfortunately, if you tried to adapt the 3-window roof or 3-window body to a 5-window kit you had to add material to the back of the hood piece. Norm Veber at Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland did it right by offering a replacement hood along with the chopped top for the AMT as a complete set. I'm assuming that part of bAMT's restoration is once again including the longer hood in the kit. If I recall correctly, the roadster-only edition had the longer hood in it.

Other important pieces that disappeared during the 5-window conversion and making a comeback in the new release are the custom full cover hubcaps already mentioned, and the fender skirts which are very pretty.I have had my eye out for an original .issue AMT 36 kit on eBay for quite some time but they always get bid up to quite high prices so I have avoided them. This is really great news. I've always thought the AMT version was a better looking car than the Monogram/Revell offering with nicer skirts and overall lines, although the Monogram kit has a far superior chassis and drivetrain and a more authentice looking "LaSalle" grill option.

#23 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Another kit that I'll have to buy at least two. At the rate they keep finding and releasing these kits, added to all the kits I already have I'll never live long enough to build them all.

Join the club.

#24 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Full Name:Ellen Shaver

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bernard, that's some very useful information ! I really never noticed any of that either . I'm now going to have to go an dig out old builds and take a look !!!!! Thanks .............

#25 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

I don't know why they're using the roadster box art, I'd guess they will draw up some new "retro deluxe" box art for this release.  Here's the sell sheet which hopefully answers a few questions about what will be in there -

AMT824-vi.jpg

#26 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

anyone have a picture of the "artillery wheels" mentioned above?

this kit has me breaking my 'no-new-kits-for-awhile' rule

#27 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

anyone have a picture of the "artillery wheels" mentioned above?...

Here are the stock wheels from the AMT '36 Ford kits:

Without hubcaps:

DSCF4588-web.jpg

With hubcaps:

Details-1-web.jpg

#28 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

I don't know why they're using the roadster box art, I'd guess they will draw up some new "retro deluxe" box art for this release.  Here's the sell sheet which hopefully answers a few questions about what will be in there -

AMT824-vi.jpg

Looks like a roadster to me. :P

#29 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,275 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

At least they put "Actual product/packaging may vary from preview image shown." But it's still like putting a picture of a Ford on a Chevy kit box.

#30 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

i just remolded all american resins 36 phaeton. i got the dick tracy kit to fit the doner parts and was puzzled that the hood didnt fit. but i modified the kit hood and i should have the phaeton transkit out next week.

#31 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Will that be with an up top, down top or a chopped top ?

#32 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

At least they put "Actual product/packaging may vary from preview image shown." But it's still like putting a picture of a Ford on a Chevy kit box.

Probably that will be the box art they're going to base the new "Retro Deluxe" artwork on, so they just used it as a mock-up image. Box art is usually one of the last things to get done and it'll be December before it's out, so I imagine the actual box art is still a ways away from being finished, if they've even started...

Edited by Brett Barrow, 19 June 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#33 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Reading through this it sounds like the 3 window / roadster is an inaccurate combination anyway. Maybe they will offer a 5 window / roadster option down the road as that looks to be the better combination (both used the shorter door).

I wonder how hard it would be to kitbash this with the Revell '37 truck to make a '36 pickup? The cabs look very similar so maybe just a hood / grill swap?

#34 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

them amt 36 fords kits is a cool kit its omost better then the ther' 40 ford kit ,they just built great :wub:

#35 Deano

Deano

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Full Name:Dean Eubanks

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Probably that will be the box art they're going to base the new "Retro Deluxe" artwork on, so they just used it as a mock-up image. Box art is usually one of the last things to get done and it'll be December before it's out, so I imagine the actual box art is still a ways away from being finished, if they've even started...

Aw, Brett!  Why do you have to go and throw water on a good rant? :D

#36 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

The instructions show both the chopped top AND the roadster version. ^_^ $(KGrHqJ,!rgE-dIYuygzBPuZEsIuyw~~60_57.J

Edited by Greg Myers, 19 June 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#37 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Reading through this it sounds like the 3 window / roadster is an inaccurate combination anyway. Maybe they will offer a 5 window / roadster option down the road as that looks to be the better combination (both used the shorter door).

I wonder how hard it would be to kitbash this with the Revell '37 truck to make a '36 pickup? The cabs look very similar so maybe just a hood / grill swap?

Where would you get the grill ? 1936_ford_pickup_27667695.jpg

I was thinking making it more like a pick up where the car front end was used. Don't have any pictures though.

#38 kevjoh

kevjoh

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Drag City Casting [Ed Fluck] does this grill, just got one earlier this week. It's a two piece moulding, grill is separate from the housing. The quality is 110% perfect, you wouldn't get anything better, check it out http://public.fotki....-city-casting-/

#39 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

Aw, Brett!  Why do you have to go and throw water on a good rant? :D

Oops, sorry.  The internet's no place for the voice of reason...  :lol:

#40 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

is this kit on the shelves? how come that guy has box art & instructions?