161 replies to this topic

#121 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

How are the stock wheels in the kit compared to the previous releases?

Same as every version since the 1960's:  Wrong size wheels and tires (real car used 6:00-16 wheels and tires on "artillery" wheels (spoked design) where the AMT kit has always used 15" wheels and tires (same tires as included in their '32-40 Fords, '37 Chevies), and the spoked pattern disappeared from those wheels sometime in the early-mid 1960's.  For correct wheels and tires, the only source for them currently is in the Revell '37 Ford pickup/panel delivery)

Art

#122 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Same as every version since the 1960's:  Wrong size wheels and tires (real car used 6:00-16 wheels and tires on "artillery" wheels (spoked design) where the AMT kit has always used 15" wheels and tires (same tires as included in their '32-40 Fords, '37 Chevies), and the spoked pattern disappeared from those wheels sometime in the early-mid 1960's.  For correct wheels and tires, the only source for them currently is in the Revell '37 Ford pickup/panel delivery)

Art

So they're similar to what was used on Volkswagen Beetles. Great! I could use a set of these wheels on a Bug I'm working on.

#123 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

So they're similar to what was used on Volkswagen Beetles. Great! I could use a set of these wheels on a Bug I'm working on.

The bolt pattern on the real wheels was identical iirc. I'm not sure if that was intentional or just a coincidence. Adolf Hitler toured Henry Ford's factories before the Beetle started production to see how Henry was going about manufacturing automobiles.

#124 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

f_304790168-3667365008.jpegm1MH7XBva752sD6lLDQnfBw.jpgo0480032012523724319.png"artillery" wheels indeed. :huh: Who comes up with stuff ?$T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0uI2BRkHC(tlWw~~60_57.J

Edited by Greg Myers, 22 February 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#125 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

"artillery" wheels indeed. :huh: Who comes up with stuff ?

I think they may be named as such because in the past various pieces of artillery had a similar style of wheel? 

#126 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:20 AM

I think they may be named as such because in the past various pieces of artillery had a similar style of wheel? 

Yup. A repost from Wiki-pee elaborates, although a true "artillery" wheel is wood::

"The artillery wheel was developed for use on gun carriages when it was found that the lateral forces involved in horse artillery manoeuvres caused normally-constructed cart wheels to collapse. Rather than having its spokes mortised into a wooden nave (hub), it has them fitted together (mitred) then bolted into a metal nave. Its tyre is shrunk onto the rim in the usual way but it is also bolted on for security. A normal wagon wheel is dished so that in its lowest part, the spokes are perpendicular to the ground thus supporting the weight (with the axle not truly horizontal but angled downward toward the outside about 5 degrees). This is not done with artillery wheels.

250px-Humber_9_20_1926.jpg

When higher speeds and consequently higher lateral forces were attained with the introduction of motor vehicles, the artillery wheel was used in those too. By the 1920s, motor cars used wheels which looked at a glance like artillery wheels but which were of forged steel or welded from steel pressed sections. These too were usually called artillery wheels."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 22 February 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#127 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

Another great Round 2 reissue. Never built this one in the past. But, in just playing around and starting to do some of the subassembly work. I like what I'm seeing. At our November (2014) MCCM ( Model Car Club of Minnesota) meeting we're having a build AMT's latest release of the '36 Ford contest. I'd like to build mine stock, to look exactly like (other than it being a three-window, rather than five) the blue one Greg Myers posted photos of. Does anybody have any idea what color that is. And if Tamiya or others make something in a rattle can that looks pretty close?

I'm also building the Revell/Mongram '36 Ford, as the cabriolet/convertible version. Even though it can not compete in the contest. I'm not a big fan of roadsters by the mid-30's. By that time I feel that convertible looked just as good, but offered more convenience. Since AMT's soft top version is a roadster. And Monogram's is a convertible. I decided to go that way. I'm also not a big fan of Ford's '36 as five-window coupe. For this reason I've stayed away from the Dicy Tracy version in recent years. But, I do love the looks of the 36's three-window design. So I was happy to see this one come back.

Recently I've also picked up AMT's old 1/43 scale '36 Ford three-window coupe. At the contest, I plan on displaying that, along with the other two. (Claiming I left a 1/25 scale kit in my dehydrator too long. Drying the paint and it shrunk.) Plus I may have add a Hot Wheels '36 to the display too.

Scott Aho

#128 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

... the blue one Greg Myers posted photos of. Does anybody have any idea what color that is. And if Tamiya or others make something in a rattle can that looks pretty close?

I think Tamiya TS-15 Blue will get you really close to that.

#129 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Matt. I'll take a look at that.

Scott

#130 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

Actually, it's TS-44 I was thinking of - Brilliant Blue.

#131 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Full Name:Túlio Lazzaroni

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Okay, here we have the 5-window body in beige and the 3-window/roadster body in white plastic. As you can see, the 3-window/roadster body's door goes all the way to the kick-up in the body while the 5-window's door is about 7 scale inches shorter.

DSC_1347.JPG

Here is an overhead shot showing the bigger leather roof and different cowl line.

DSC_1348.JPG

New-tool hood on old-tool body, showing gap.

DSC_1349.JPG

Even the windshield is a slightly different shape!

DSC_1350.JPG

I received the 3-window body long ago as a built up so I have no idea which issue it is from. The 5-window body is from the 2002 reissue. Also, the most recent re-issue (2005) still has the roadster up-top.

I recently discovered that there are two kinds of five window tops. One with the short cowl and one with the long one.

Discovered it by accident while rebuilding a Dick Tracy edition of the kit this week. On last week I just finished a build on the 2002 edition, and boy, the tops are very different. The windshield is different, the quarter windows are different, even the curvature of the rear of the roof is different. 

Take a look, the Dick Tracy kit is in black, and the 2002 is in yellow:

14194981544_c6527a2f53_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14191764351_e0fc4cf0ac_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215193603_5d000ffbec_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215196283_99f0074867_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

#132 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

That color is Washington Blue. You can have it made at 1:1 car paint shops. They can even put it on a spray can for you. 

#133 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Actually, it's TS-44 I was thinking of - Brilliant Blue.

Washington Blue is very close to TS-15. I guess TS-44 is a little on the light side. 

Over white primer I would go with TS-15.

Over gray primer, maybe TS-44.

Even tough, the ideal would be to have the paint mixed at a car paint shop, and airbrush the body. Usually I do this and ask for synthetic enamel paint, that doesn't harm plastic, and with the appropriate reducer, will dry in a couple of hours. 

#134 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:22 AM

This is a regular color in the MCW Automotive Finishes line (www.mcwautomotivefinishes.com); #3630, 1 oz for $7.50 plus shipping. 

Having done a similar comparison myself, for all but the most accurate contest build, Tamiya TS-15 is a pretty close representation of Washington Blue.   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd, 16 May 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#135 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Tulio's post shows the wide disparity in the two tops!  

#136 Robberbaron

Robberbaron

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert J. Barron

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I recently discovered that there are two kinds of five window tops. One with the short cowl and one with the long one.
Discovered it by accident while rebuilding a Dick Tracy edition of the kit this week. On last week I just finished a build on the 2002 edition, and boy, the tops are very different. The windshield is different, the quarter windows are different, even the curvature of the rear of the roof is different.

Yikes! You're not kidding about the differences! That's pretty bizarre, anyone know the story behind this? My only guess is that the tooling for the 5-window top from the Dick Tracy version must have either gotten lost or damaged beyond repair, forcing them to retool that part of the kit? Somewhere packed away, I have the version with an awful silver/pink buildup on the box art. I believe that was released only a year or two after the Dick Tracy version, so I'm guessing it probably has that earlier roof. Anyone know for sure?

I'm no expert on 36 Fords, so I'm trying to figure out which one looks more correct. After doing a bunch of google image searches of 1:1 5-windows, it sure seems like the earlier top from the Dick Tracy version is more spot on. Just compare the windshield of the blue 1:1 picture in post #147 to the side-by-side pics of the windshields that Tulio posted. Looks like the windshield in the newer (yellow) version is way too rectangular, and the overall roof is too flat. The quarter windows in the newer roof don't seem quite tall enough, either.

As I said, I'm no expert on these cars, but that 2002 release would have been right when RC2 was steering the AMT franchise into the ditch, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them botch a repair attempt like this. Still have to admit, I wouldn't have been able to notice a difference if Tulio hadn't posted the side-by-sides, but it sure jumps out once you see them together.

#137 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yikes! You're not kidding about the differences! That's pretty bizarre, anyone know the story behind this? My only guess is that the tooling for the 5-window top from the Dick Tracy version must have either gotten lost or damaged beyond repair, forcing them to retool that part of the kit? Somewhere packed away, I have the version with an awful silver/pink buildup on the box art. I believe that was released only a year or two after the Dick Tracy version, so I'm guessing it probably has that earlier roof. Anyone know for sure?

I'm no expert on 36 Fords, so I'm trying to figure out which one looks more correct. After doing a bunch of google image searches of 1:1 5-windows, it sure seems like the earlier top from the Dick Tracy version is more spot on. Just compare the windshield of the blue 1:1 picture in post #147 to the side-by-side pics of the windshields that Tulio posted. Looks like the windshield in the newer (yellow) version is way too rectangular, and the overall roof is too flat. The quarter windows in the newer roof don't seem quite tall enough, either.

As I said, I'm no expert on these cars, but that 2002 release would have been right when RC2 was steering the AMT franchise into the ditch, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them botch a repair attempt like this. Still have to admit, I wouldn't have been able to notice a difference if Tulio hadn't posted the side-by-sides, but it sure jumps out once you see them together.

I agree with you Robert, but I don't think they lost the tooling, or it got damaged. 

Believe you or not, I think Disney had the rights for that top (Dick Tracy edition) and AMT had to tool another one, with different measurements to be able to issue a five window without having to pay Disney. If I had to bet, I would put my money on this hypothesis. 

#138 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yikes! You're not kidding about the differences! ...  anyone know the story behind this? ...

A lot of this has been gone over in various places. The 3-window coupe has a longer door length and shorter cowl (longer hood) than the 5-window and roadster. Also the curvature of the rear edge of the hood is less pronounced and shallower than on the 5-window coupe. AMT got the 5-window right but messed up in the 3-window/roadster options in the original issue. They had two top pieces, a chopped 3-window top and cowl assembly, and a roadster door top/cowl piece and shared a common lower body. This meant that the door on the roadster was too long (rear edge too far back). In 1:1, the shorter 5-window door is identical to the roadste's in both dimesnion and locationr. Recently I finished an AMT roadster and I used a 5-window lower body in order to get the door length right. Just before that I had done an AMT 3-window coupe with the longer door. Here are 2 profile shots so you can compare the correct shorter 5-window/roadster door with the correct 3-window door. Incidently, AMT got the dimensions right compared to the 1:1's once you get the pairings straightened out...

AMT chopped 3-window coupe with standard kit long door lower body: 

DSCF2710-web.jpg

AMT Roadster with correct short door achieved by substituting lower body from AMT 5-window kit

DSCF2921-web.jpg

A few years ago I did a chopped '36 Ford 3-window using a Jimmy Flintstone body which is a re-pop of the AMT 3-window. I used a 5-window coupe kit (post-Dick Tracy ERTL re-issue) as the donor so I had to add quite a lot of material to the kit hood to make it fit. Here's a picture I posted at the time here on the MCM board:

DSCF4890-web.jpg

#139 Robberbaron

Robberbaron

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert J. Barron

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Bernard, you are correct regarding the door length differences between the 3-window and the 5-window versions, along with the cowl/hood differences, which, as you mentioned I have seen discussed several times (by the way, two beautiful examples that you posted, I particularly like your wheel choice and stance for that 3-window).

What I found fascinating was that there are 2 totally different 5-window roofs that were tooled, and apparently the lengthening of the cowl/shortening of the hood happened for the second version. See belo for the new pics from post #154 of the two different 5-window versions side-by-side. Until Tulio posted those, I'd always been under the impression that all the 5-windows had the long cowl. Also note that the overall roof shapes are very different, including the windshields and quarter windows. My (uneducated) opinion is that the first (Dick Tracy) version in black looks more true to the 1:1.

14194981544_c6527a2f53_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14191764351_e0fc4cf0ac_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215193603_5d000ffbec_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

14215196283_99f0074867_c.jpgRestored 1936 Ford by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Edited by Robberbaron, 19 May 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#140 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

...What I found fascinating was that there are 2 totally different 5-window roofs that were tooled, and apparently the lengthening of the cowl/shortening of the hood happened for the second version. ...

Thanx Robert. All I have to say is "curioser and curioser"!