#41 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for your positive replies. I moved a bit forwards with this build again. One of the shortcomings of the kit in my view is the thick windows framing. There is no such thing in the real bus. It is more like a wall with windows cut in. In order to get a look like that, I covered the windows with a 0.3 mm sheet which I glued to the frames and then I cut off the windows.

P6270392_zps73f44c7d.jpg

P6270390_zps4578735f.jpg

P6270391_zps518dc48d.jpg

Now with a surfacer applied it looks like this.

P7200633_zps0fb3040d.jpg

P7200634_zps7969d096.jpg

P7200637_zps097e2763.jpg

P7200636_zpsd0303e78.jpg

P7200639_zps1af2d32f.jpg

It needs a bit more work on the shape and surface but I think that this modification helps the interior look better.

#42 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Beautiful!

#43 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

Looks fantastic! Keep up the good work.

David G.

#44 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Definitely looking good, Man....Really starting to come together....

#45 griffin

griffin

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:christiaan wagenaar

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

damm thats a lot of work for an modification that nobody notiches haha.

But you know its there and that is what counts.

gr chris

#46 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hey there, London doubledecker bus is back. And I had to go pretty far way back in history of this forum to find my thread. I left the project resting for a while. Somehow I was not able to come up with a decent quality of the paint job. I won´t go in details. Nothing seemed to work for me while I tried to get a nice and shiny coat. So, I took a few months off but I couldn´t stand the shame anymore. I said, one last shot  and let´s keep on riding no matter what.

So, here I am with the best coat I could get and determined to finish this London pride.

P4141965_zps3f43242b.jpg

P4141962_zps6c5eefc0.jpg

P4141968_zpsaba7d7d2.jpg

The "Piccadilly Circus" sign in the back is not quite straight but I´ve noticed it too late. The front part with the grille broke into three parts the other day and it needs some more treatment. Here it is with the PE details.

P4141958_zpsb6272a88.jpg

P4141954_zpsc60b2394.jpg

P4141973_zps48b48c91.jpg

And the tail part with lights and license plate.

P4141977_zps2e4b03eb.jpg

That´s all I got for now. This and the hope in a smooth ride.

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Great work!  I think I want one of these bus kits!  Maybe I'd do mine as one of the open top Philadelphia tourist rides.  In fact, I think I'll go down town and take a tour for research purposes! 

I wouldn't worry about the exterior paint work.  Those busses were used and abused. I've heard that the colors on panels varying depending on resprays under poor conditions.

#48 alangarber

alangarber

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Garber

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

Wonderful job

#49 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Great work!  I think I want one of these bus kits!  Maybe I'd do mine as one of the open top Philadelphia tourist rides.  In fact, I think I'll go down town and take a tour for research purposes! 

I wouldn't worry about the exterior paint work.  Those busses were used and abused. I've heard that the colors on panels varying depending on resprays under poor conditions.

I didn't know they used them (one) in philly take lots of photos I'd glady pay you for a cd/DVD of photos maybe you could smoosze someone and get into the maintenance yard and really crawl around it. I know you love that. Talk to you at NNL East. Brib ya with food. I know plastic would work better. But I'm buying all that I can find food I can live without. :) 

#50 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I didn't know they used them (one) in philly take lots of photos I'd glady pay you for a cd/DVD of photos maybe you could smoosze someone and get into the maintenance yard and really crawl around it. I know you love that. Talk to you at NNL East. Brib ya with food. I know plastic would work better. But I'm buying all that I can find food I can live without. :)

Vince, I'm not sure, someone else mentioned them in Philly.  When I was downtown for a conference last September I saw open top double deckers, but I didn't take much notice since I saw them from the back.  May be later model than the Route Masters, but worth a look. And good enough to take a tour with. First I've never ridden up top of a double decker, and second I've been here for four years and have yet to really investigate the city. Heck we only got to Lancaster to see the Amish because we had Aussie visitors last fall!

#51 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

I guess I´ve just killed this project. I forgot to paint the yellow stripe beforehand, so I did over the red coat. I had to run the masking tape over the rivets and other surface details and decals. I was afraid of bleeding colour under the masking tape. So, the first layer was clear. Then the white base to kill the red. And finally the yellow. Unfortunatelly, I´ve never done this before and when I peeled the tape off, I got this:

P4232007_zps6dd6f2f3.jpg

P4232004_zps1c3b7a13.jpg

P4232002_zps92ed4adf.jpg

P4232000_zps9f982225.jpg

P4231998_zpsc3f78f12.jpg

I should have used decal instead. Now, I don´t know. I don´t think I´m able to fix it unless I strip the coat completely off. Suggestions are welcome. 

#52 Bowtienutz

Bowtienutz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Full Name:Vinnie
    I'm trying to be good
    0 warning points whatever that means.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

try taking some wax or rubbing compound to the area with a fine tipped swabbed. They are made just for this purpose but if you done have them try making some by cutting a swab down with an Xacto knife take your time.  I've rubbed out worse than that before 

#53 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

Very nice looking work.....Definitely, a lot of kit.....I've thought about purchasing one of these, but never did....I just might have to break down and get one....

#54 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

To be honest the yellow just looks like world weary paint that has been hastily repair a number of times!!! I have yet to start mine....the kit is intimidating!

#55 Trucker_tim

Trucker_tim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Kracht

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

How did you get your PE parts are you in the states or over seas. Looks like a great job by the way.

#56 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Tim, I am in the middle of Europe, in the Czech Republic. The home country of CTM, the Czech Truck Model Team. They produce and sell these PE parts. You can order straight from them or through the Model Maker Shop.

#57 Trucker_tim

Trucker_tim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thanks I have started on the kit but was interested in the PE parts. Just didn't know how to get my hands on them

#58 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Jarda,

Before you strip all the paint off and start again.  Have you considered getting some yellow stripes from Microscale Details www.microscale.com These would cover all the imperfections in the yellow paint and give a very crisp fine edge to the yellow stripe.  I have started using their stripes on many of my builds, the quality is excellent.

By the way excellent work so far!

#59 Trucker_tim

Trucker_tim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hey Truck I was looking over the modelmakershop all I can find are the floor boards

#60 Trucker_tim

Trucker_tim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Just e-mailed with the Czech guys will be placing an order soon