#1 TurboKitty

TurboKitty

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:Michelle Blanchard

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I've been working on this off and on since about 2009, but I wanted to finally make a WIP thread for it in an effort to help myself get motivated to finally finish it LOL. It's about 90% finished as it sits, but I need to buy some more paint, flocking material, and a few other things before I can finally call it done. The first pic is from 2010 when I was trying to choose the wheels and paint color for it. I remember it was going to be either Pearl White or Black, but I decided to go with a GM Blue Metallic (can't remember the exact name but it is part of the DupliColor line and I bought it at Advance Auto). The NISMO decals are from Hobby Design, and the sheet I bought has the stripes and hood decals in 3 different sizes. They are very nicely printed and easy to work with. On with the pics: 

300zxkit1.jpg

After primer and 1st coat of paint, (with wheels from the Nissan 350Z NISMO kit. Apologies for the blurry cell phone pics): 

0911100343.jpg

0911100340.jpg

Fast forward to last year, the interior was painted using Krylon Fusion in Khaki Tan. I still need to mask parts of the seats and door panels to finish them with Satin Black. The floor will be getting tan flocking material added, and once I get them, photoetched interior accents. The decals were applied, turn signals and other accents were painted, and the "glass" was masked off and painted where black areas are on the 1:1 car. I used clear blue on the backs of the projector lenses to make the headlights appear as if they are fitted with HID's, and used a black permanent marker to trace the outside of the headlight lenses to give them a more realistic look. The exhaust tips are cut from metal tubing as well. Yes, the model is a little dusty since I don't have that many display cases, but the pic doesn't do the paint justice! 

IMG_4563_zpsc69296e9.jpg

IMG_4557_zpsf803e39a.jpg

IMG_4566_zpsa629443f.jpg

I need to add some more black weatherstrip detail, paint the marker lights on the fenders and quarter panels, add the wipers, mirrors, etc. For something a little different I decided to cut the T-Top assembly out of the roof since I'm working on a sliding ragtop using thin grey or tan fabric. Yes, I work a little backwards sometimes LOL. The engine is assembled and painted, but I'm waiting on a pair of resin turbos, intercooler, and then gonna have to figure out how to bend some metal tubing for the turbo piping :), and get it all wired up so unfortunately no pics of that yet. Let me know what you think, good or bad. Thanks! 

#2 Sam I Am

Sam I Am

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Grabenhorst

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Looking sharp !!  That interior will really 'pop' with the second color.  B)

#3 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

This is looking great!! Nice work!

#4 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I like the color and the red decal trim ,, really nice. That paint does look like the kind that falls down in photos but is spectacular in person.

#5 shucky

shucky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeLuco

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Looks like a real clean build Michelle! Like the color and you put one of my favorite sets of wheels on it. Keep up the great work!

#6 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Looking good, nice to see you back here

#7 TurboKitty

TurboKitty

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thank you for the positive feedback guys, much appreciated! I really need to make some bench time and get back to building like I used to ;)

#8 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

That is one of the best looking cars of the 90's. keep up the great work

#9 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

That is one of the best looking cars of the 90's. keep up the great work

Agreed

#10 TurboKitty

TurboKitty

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Quick update, I made a (non functional) sliding ragtop to give the Z a unique Euro look instead of the T-tops the kit is molded with. I made it using a grey eyeglass cleaning cloth, cut to shape, and backed with 4 pieces of wire to add strength. The wire is spaced evenly apart and held in place by masking tape that I colored grey with a fabric marker. Using a ruler I then folded the fabric in segments to replicate the folds of an open ragtop. Overall I am pleased with the results :) I am planning on adding something to replicate weatherstrip and the sliding mechanism as well.

Attached Files