#41 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, for me it's a LOT of the above.  Definitely research on the vehicle you're working on, to get the details right.  Realistic engineering, in that it shouldn't sit ridiculously low, shouldn't be chopped so much that you couldn't see out of the windows, nor should the steering wheel touch the seat.  A model should look like, if it was a 1:1 vehicle, it could actually be driven.  The workmanship should be neat, and clean throughout the ENTIRE model, chassis, engine compartment, interior and exterior...  that includes paint and/or foil work throughout the entire model.   I also think that color choices are important, meaning that interior and engine compartment colors should compliment the exterior of the car.  Think and plan it out before you just dive in.  When I start a build I usually have a mental picture in my mind's eye of what I want the finished model to look like, and then I work to make that vision happen.    

#42 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

One thing that makes a model shine for me is also when I can sand out the back of a grille.

#43 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Actually finishing one! Lol!

#44 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just a pinch of love :wub: .....................................Oh.......and a pile of cash!!!! :blink:

#45 RatRod

RatRod

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Full Name:John Bissinger

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

For me, one thing that bugs me is mold seams. They will make or break any model in my opinion. I will sit for hours cleaning every single part of mold lines, and getting every part to fit as perfectly as possible. If it's a chrome part, I'll just Alclad it when I'm finished. One thing to always remember is to give yourself room for whatever paint your using, for instance, if it's just a light coat of metalizer, that part will fit good, but if it's paint, or an Alclad finish, that part will grow with every coat, so you will need to keep that in mind, and remove more material before painting.

#46 DR JAY

DR JAY

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Van Nostrand

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Scale realism is important to me for my builds: resin ignition coils or CD modules that are closer to the size of tackle boxes in
1:1 look out of place to me- no matter how well they're cast. Vent window posts that haven't been thinned to a more realistic size
also stand out for me.Plug wires that scale out to the size of heater hoses and aftermarket fasteners that are way too big catch my eye. I would never criticize another's build for the presence of these details; I just concentrate on my builds not having them. We
all build to our strengths and tastes and should have fun while doing it and not worry about what others may think...unless you build for shows.

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,670 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

For me it's about taking that strange image I have in my head and building it in 3D.  If I look at the model sitting on my workbench and I've achieved that,  I'm happy.  I do try to make my builds a bit different than I've seen similar vehicles.  I like to find a new idea or unusual slant on the subject.  

And for me, I weather everything.  The degree of weathering depends on the subject and it's age. Even new cars have some dirt on the chassis and minor surface rust on bare parts.  Seeing and duplicating that adds to the realism of the model.

#48 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,881 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

A couple of additional thoughts based on some terrific builds I've seen on this forum...

1. Engines and chassis -- use a wide variety of subtle metal shades to differentiate metal components from each other. Here, research is your friend.

2. Many parts of a kit have 1:1 separate pieces molded together. Take a craft knife to lightly score around those separate pieces...

- In the interior, score around handles and armrests, as well as deepening the seams on pleated seats

- In the engine compartment, score around all the stuff that's molded on the firewall, such as hoses, electrical parts, etc., and carefully mask for painting. This visually "lifts" those parts away from the surface behind them and adds precision. There's a very good tip on this forum by Gluhead about opening up door handles, with the same idea in mind --

http://www.modelcars...ic=71690&page=1

Edited by sjordan2, 19 March 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#49 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

... "We all build to our strengths and tastes ..."

Great turn of phrase. This should be our mantra.

#50 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

Okay I have one other one I want to add... filling seams and removal of miold lines and ejection pin marks. Some folks do amazing paint and details work but forget these little basics. Nothing like fully wiring and plumbing the whole car and the oil pan, bellhousing and trans are still split through the middle, or a flawless paint job with mold lines across the c-pillar of the top.

#51 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

i always "de-chrome", but it's distracting to see a chromed assembly with mold marks. i understand the conundrum, but the camera tells all.

#52 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,441 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

For me........................originality. That's pretty darn to accomplish in the world of automobiles, but I want folks to see my work and say, "Wow. That's different." If nothing else.

#53 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

Something else I've been doing the last year or so is giving my windows a slight green tint. It's a subtle touch, but looks nice when I get it right. The first windows I did were too light and practically un noticable. But, I finally got a system down now that works easily and gives me the right amount of tint.

#54 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

Sand that tire tread! Make her look like she's at least been for a test drive. :D And don't forget the valve stems. ;)