23 replies to this topic

#21 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

She said 90% of lost international packages are because of poorly written customs forms. If you write clearly on the forms there shouldn't be any issue.

I try to avoid having to manually fill out the USPS Customs forms, as the USPS clerk has to enter all the information manually, which makes for a slow process. The forms are simple, though, and you can use peel and stick address labels in lieu of hand writing the addresses, too, which helps a lot.

With eBay's system, it's three clicks and done for International labels.  :)

#22 DirtModeler

DirtModeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Full Name:Michael S. Crowley

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

I talked to some folks earlier this evening at dinner. She said 90% of lost international packages are because of poorly written customs forms. If you write clearly on the forms there shouldn't be any issue. I'm taking along my mother. :lol: I can't write to save my life! :lol: 

Step 1: Stop writing the customs forms:

https://cns.usps.com...ionAction_input

Use that online customs form, and never fill one out by hand again.

Shipping went up quite a lot.. it killed a lot of my international business as a result.  I had to eat about $50 in shipping for a few orders after the switch before i could get the prices changed on my site and on ebay.

Everything went up, it's a real shame.

#23 gbdolfans

gbdolfans

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Full Name:George Bluhm

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi Kevin,I have sold on E-Bay for a few years now.I have shipped to Sweden,Germany,Australia,and the Philippines.I was able to help a guy in Australia get some kits he wanted.Everything worked GREAT!!!! Go by his feedback rating and number.Use customs number for tracking.It doesn't get the package to his door,but it shows you sent it and when.

I love shipping to other countries to help out fellow modelers.I charge only what it costs me and it has been close.I have had to eat a few dollars once or twice,but,it was my fault for not being accurate in shipping info.

Trust him and maybe you will get a friend.

George

#24 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

I've bought about 100 kits from US online sites in the last 15 years and average postage cost (without insurance or tracking) was $12. Now it's $26 so I simply don't buy kits anymore. (A new US kit in Switzerland now costs $45 if you can find one).

The Swiss Post Office no longer offers uninsured package delivery which effectively more than doubled prices so I can no longer trade either. I traded some tyres with a guy last year, unaware of the price-hike. He sent his in a small box so I did the same. He paid $4.50 postage, I paid $18. Plus he had to wait more than 3 weeks.

BTW - All those 100 kits got to me unscathed so, in my opinion, insurance and tracking are really NOT worth the exhorbitant extra cost.