#21 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Bill's right. I use a scriber along the trim lines before primer and paint. It makes trimming the BMF sooooo much easier.

#22 Johnt671

Johnt671

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:John Romaine

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

I removed the foil from my 61 Impala and used the tape method and the scribe method.  Both gave much better results than I first got.  The tape was tricky to line up but easyer to trim, while the scribe method was the easier but my knife slipped once.  I need to try the t shirt method to help brace the as holding the body on my right leg and cutting with the left hand isn't good good when the blade slips. 

Thanks again for the great tips.

Edited by Johnt671, 19 March 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#23 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Fiskers makes a handle like that you can find in the stationary section at Walmart

And while you are there, don't forget the new pack of #11 blades.  I can't stress how important a new blade is if you don't want to ruin your foil and paint.  An old blade can get jagged and tear the foil or "hop" as you drag it along.

#24 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:54 AM

I try to use the blades once maybe twice for foiling. The first sign of dragging they go in my old Altoids tin for other uses that they are perfectly fine for such as sprue removal and scribing.