Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Ford F100 finished

Sweet ride. how did you "wood" the bed?

Thanks for the complements,

I found some perfect sized strips of bass wood at "Caboose Hobbies" here in Denver. I cut them to size, and then got some "Evergreen" channel strips cut them to size, then simply glued the strips to the plastic bed. The way that I made the wood look more like real Oak was I used a double ended pen I found at Hobby lobby, the name is "Prismacolor" premier. The color is "Goldenrod" and I used both ends to make it give it the grain, then metalized the plastic strips to give them that look. With the graining I went over it numerous times to get dark and light grain. The Basswood comes in allot of precut sizes, and what I used was I think is 1/32". My dad had a PU like this back in the early fifties, same color, and the bed was refinished by myself and my dad, so that is the look I was after.

I really enjoyed this build, and will be doing another one soon.

I think you did a good job. Look into some Bare Metal Foil for the trim and take your work to the next level. Also, spray paint everything you can. Bottle paints and brushed should be for detailing only.

Thanks to all for you kind comments, I recently started modeling after a 40 year hiatus. I am learning allot thanks to this and other forums. I built the PU here with testors...never again! Came of age I suppose. I tried some new stuff with this truck, such as the wood bed and rails, wooden dash. I am taking baby steps here building because I am learning all over again. I will attempt BMF on my next build, and your right about spraying everything possible. Using paint and brush to do the carriage makes it rather muddled, not sharp. I am going to do a 50' F100 next. Can't wait.

Did you have as much trouble with fit as I am having with this kit? My hood was too wide and my frame was severely warped.

Your build came out very nice though. As others have stated, the color contrast with the wood is nice, and those "stakes" on the bedsides are a nice touch.

Did you have as much trouble with fit as I am having with this kit? My hood was too wide and my frame was severely warped.

Your build came out very nice though. As others have stated, the color contrast with the wood is nice, and those "stakes" on the bedsides are a nice touch.

All of the parts went together well. Nothing wrong with the hood, or frame, went together like it's supposed to. Did you get yours from a hobby store? I wonder if you got a model that had been sitting close to a heat source, last summer I bought one it had been sitting in a window at the guys place I bought it from the thing looked like I was on acid trip because it was so warped. Take it back if you bought it from anyone other than a person like I did. 12.00 bucks down the drain!

The color is almost the exact color that came on some of the 55's, here is a link that I used for the color on the exterior, it's the one on the left.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?photoid=227399&.jpg=

Thanks for the nice words. I was hoping that some of the people on here would be rough on me to make me do better, but still appreciated.

I used some basswood thinking 1/32 square, to make the side posts. I was going to put them on all straight and purty then I remembered the PU my dad had, we had hauled a large Black Angus Steer to have it butchered, he almost tore off the side boards and posts before we could get him to back out into the cattle chute. I think he knew he was about to be made into juicy steaks!

Edited by cobramike

I'm already pretty deep in the build, and the warpage was "workable". I was just wondering. I managed to bend the hood and twist the frame so that they fit. I did buy it from a hobby store but it was nowhere near a heat source- maybe it was just a "Monday morning" kit.

lol, maybe the Autoworkers in Dearborn were on strike. Too bad though you had these problems. Good luck, and when finished be sure to post it so I/we can see the pics. Hang in there.

MIKE , NICE FORD ! I,LL BE LOOKING FOR THAT 50,S TRUCK ,THAT,S A NICE KIT ,ARE YOU DOING THE STOCK OR CUSTOM ONE?

I really like the stock one, but am really on the fence as to which way to go. I just started it and I need to make a decision soon. I have a '97 Mustang Cobra Mod motor that I am thinking, if I go custom I'll drop that motor in it. There seems to be plenty of room, will keep updates on here also.

I am keeping with it, I just contacted Revell to send me a new radiator support piece as mine had a huge dimple in it. So this model is going on the back burner for now.

Wow that's crazy that you even have a prob. with the support also! Have you tried fitting other parts together yet? Since your having all of these problems I really would ask Revell to replace it. These problems are things I for sure didn't have.

MIKE , NICE FORD ! I,LL BE LOOKING FOR THAT 50,S TRUCK ,THAT,S A NICE KIT ,ARE YOU DOING THE STOCK OR CUSTOM ONE?

I am doing it as a custom. Takes allot of sanding. I am putting in a '97 Mustang Cobra engine, wanted to make it blown, but can't find a correct blower. Took some cutting to get that 4 cam motor squeezed into it. I'll post some pics later.