#21 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

"Only the engine and chassis could be carried over from that kit to do a 2011+ car..would have to tool up new interior, body, glass, trim, wheels, etc. Plus, was that tooling even Lindbergs---it first appeared as a Testors kit back around 2007..."

The folks who were responsible for that kit's original release at Testors moved to Lindberg/Hawk when J Lloyd bought them. So the later Super Bee and Police Chargers are Lindberg, but the original R/T and Daytona are Testors.

Interesting...always wondered what was going on there...

#22 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Seems that Testors funded the initial tooling costs, but when Lindberg was purchased from Testors I would have assumed (dangerous I know) that the tooling came with them.  All of the Testors Chargers I have say "Molded for Testors by J. Lloyd Inc" on the side.  I think the only Charger tooling that Testors kept was the diecast tooling which it released in the police variation literally YEARS before Lindberg burnt their warehouse down to finally run the plastic kit.

#23 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Dodge%20L-700%20Little%20Red%20Wagon%20LDodge%20L-700%20Flatbed%20Trailer%20&%20

Edited by Greg Myers, 20 March 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#24 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

i guess the lindberg part is good news but a big ho hum for the Hawk stuff...i dont recall them ever putting anything out of any true merit, basically cheap toys.

#25 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

The Hawk stuff doesn't appeal to me either..with the Lindberg kits of the last 15 years or so ('53 Ford, '64 Dodge & Plymouth, '61 Chevy, '66 Olds, '66 Chevelle, etc) I have enough to meet my needs, but if they start tooling up variations of these...  I can't imagine the 1/20th stuff that Lindberg did in the '90s will return..some interesting subjects, wrong scale.

I do admit I have a soft spot for the '70s 1/32nd Lindberg snap kits (Granada, T-Bird, Charger, etc) because those kits are where I got my start in this hobby as a kid back in the day..and the HO scale Mini-Lindys are fascinating.

I do wonder if any more of the old IMC tooling exists... I'd love to see some of their '60s racing cars return (GT-40, Chapparal, Lola, etc)..

Edited by Rob Hall, 20 March 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#26 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I do wonder if any more of the old IMC tooling exists... I'd love to see some of their '60s racing cars return (GT-40, etc)..

I think it was mentioned some of it went to Union in the '70s and hasn't been seen since, but some seems to have made it to Union and back to Testors. I want to say the ex-IMC '48 Ford was released by Testors after Union released their kits, but not sure...

We know the IMC Dodge L-700 tractor and all three trailers (flatbed, cargo, and tanker) still exist, as well as the Mustang II and Cougar II concepts, the 1/20 Beach Buggy, and the LRW Dodge A-100, so I bet there are others. I think the Avenger would be great to see again, but not likely to happen.

Maybe Round2 could put together some type of Budd Anderson deal together, and re-pop some of the kits he was personally involved in while working at IMC, MPC, and AMT?

I think there have been more HAWK kits released in the last few years than Lindberg, with the Silly Surfers, Bonneville racers, and some other character figure kits, too.

#27 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

You just know that kit's tooling is going to be cleaned up, maybe backdated a bit, and be reissued under the AMT label in the next five years.

This is big news, and it's a sign Round2 is doing well and is financially healthy. I don't have a lot of love for many Lindberg-original kits, but some of the IMC kits have some interest to me. Maybe the Bullhorn T will be back on track, too.  :)

That Bullhorn is a great kit albeit 1/16th scale, 1_925a19d44ec2eb03211389419dc0fa2b.jpgWith all the other stuff in 1/16th , lots of potential.

Edited by Greg Myers, 20 March 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#28 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I bet that kit's tooling is going to be cleaned up, maybe backdated a bit, and reissued under the AMT label in the next five years.

I would think they would issue Lindberg items under the Lindberg brand...Round 2 generally has been consistent lately with use of the AMT brand, the MPC brand, Polar Lights..though the '34 Ford truck I can definitely see reissued as an AMT w/ period box art..I'd bet 99% on that one, and I'm not a gambler... :)

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'd bet 99% on that one, and I'm not a gambler... :)

Not takin' that bet.  :D

I wonder how much name recognition the IMC brand has, or maybe it's less about recognition and more about association for IMC, at least as far as people associating the name with kits like the Ford GT and L-700, which I recall people mention were very detailed but quite fiddly to assemble.

#30 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

I got to thinking about this--it seems to me that the Lindberg '90s era kits ('53 Ford, '61 Impala, '64 Dodge & Plymouth, etc) were the first kits Lindberg ever did in 1:25th...previous Lindberg-branded 1:25th models were ex-IMC, Pyro, or Palmer tools....maybe there is something obscure I'm missing, though.

Not takin' that bet.  :D

I wonder how much name recognition the IMC brand has, or maybe it's less about recognition and more about association for IMC, at least as far as people associating the name with kits like the Ford GT and L-700, which I recall people mention were very detailed but quite fiddly to assemble.

True enough...IMC was long before my time, the only IMC origin kits I have are later Testors or Lindberg reissues.

Edited by Rob Hall, 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#31 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

I Like this, Hopefully many of the good kits will get re-issued.

I would Not be surprised to see the IMC label again with this news.

The Dodge L700 still has that logo on the Mud flaps!!

At least the ones I have do!

On that subject, What ever happened to the "New" IMC????

#32 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

On that subject, What ever happened to the "New" IMC????

Sounds like that effort never got off the ground from what I've read elsewhere.  One of the principals pulled out or something like that.

#33 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

100_1453.jpgramchargersfordjcarkit.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 20 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#34 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Forgot something,

There are some Good Hawk items.

They had the 'Washington Mint' series diecast.

(Probably the Testor's Lincoln mint line)

I saw a few I wanted. 66/67 Charger, 49/50 Mercury Convertible

Some were in Kit form too.

Too bad about the 'New IMC'

I really wanted the 3 car kits they were suppose to start with.

#35 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

The 1/20 kits get a bad wrap for being the wrong scale, but darn it they build into nice models. There's quite a few of them that I wouldn't mind doing if they came around again.

#36 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

It would be cool if Round 2 could update and "accurize" some of Lindberg's reissues of classic Pyro kits like the Auburn Boattail Speedster and '48 Lincoln Continental.

#37 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yea, I have 2 of the Baywatch Pickup & one of the Michigan State Police Jeep Cherokee.

Only problem with either, I need to replace a few parts for the Jeep.

They were mis-molded/Short-short. 

#38 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

Seems that Testors funded the initial tooling costs, but when Lindberg was purchased from Testors I would have assumed (dangerous I know) that the tooling came with them.  All of the Testors Chargers I have say "Molded for Testors by J. Lloyd Inc" on the side.  I think the only Charger tooling that Testors kept was the diecast tooling which it released in the police variation literally YEARS before Lindberg burnt their warehouse down to finally run the plastic kit.

Testors never owned Lindberg, they owned Hawk.  Ernie Petit and a few other guys from Testors came to J. Lloyd to run the model brands. 

#39 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

The new "IMC" (Iowa Model Cars) was Ernie Petit and he was going to release some ex-JoHan stuff.  No relation to the old IMC. 

edit - "Illinois Model Co."  my bad.

Edited by Brett Barrow, 20 March 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#40 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Would be nice to see the LRW in it's original release as a telephone company truck, complete with a phone booth.