#41 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Ya never know what will happen next!   This is a good thing for the hobby. It puts more old tools in the hands of people who respect it and know how to use it.  Good for Round 2!

As far as the mythical warehouse fire, I don't believe it. That's just Ollie's back story to make the inventory sound more exciting and protect future retail sales for Lindberg / Hawk by calling the kits damaged goods being sold at a discount.  Note that their story said the warehouse was in California, while the company manufacturing operation was in Michigan.  Also note that it would be suspicious none of the desirable kits made it to Ollies.  I believe they had just built up too much inventory that didn't sell and they had to liquidate it.  Unfortunate that the quantities they dumped will satisfy market demand for some of those kits for a very long time!

The fact that they had issued a lot of old obscure kits with no rhyme or reason leads me to believe that's all the tooling that's currently viable.  We can wish for reissues of the cool old 1/32 70s cars and the Mini Lindys, but we'll just have to wait and see. And I don't think we need those old rubber band powered Bonneville cars, they were a drug on the market last time around. 

#42 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

On that subject, What ever happened to the "New" IMC????

In limbo might be the best way to put it. Steve Goldman is probably the person in the best position to comment:

http://www.modelcars...ic=49120&page=3

#43 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

The 1/20 kits get a bad wrap for being the wrong scale, but darn it they build into nice models. There's quite a few of them that I wouldn't mind doing if they came around again.

Not that far from the 1/18th scale diecast either ( parts etc.)

#44 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

The 1/20 kits get a bad wrap for being the wrong scale, but darn it they build into nice models. There's quite a few of them that I wouldn't mind doing if they came around again.

You might get your wish if this one makes it through the transition and into production:

http://www.modelcars...ic=67210&page=2

#45 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

The fact that they had issued a lot of old obscure kits with no rhyme or reason leads me to believe that's all the tooling that's currently viable

Why so pessimistic Tom ?

#46 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

@Tom Geiger: The warehouse fire was real, believe you me. I went to a Marden's store during the selloff when they had a 40' shelf section full of the kits and you could definitely smell the smoke on them.

#47 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I just wonder if this sale involves the manufacturing facility in MI where the bulk of Hawk/Lindberg's models were made (pretty much everything tooled pre-J. Lloyd-era).  Could this mean we could see production of AMT and MPC kits return to the US?  Hmm...   :huh:    

#48 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Why so pessimistic Tom ?

Not Tom, but it would stand to reason that if other tooling existed and was viable they would have already issued it...

Edited by Rob Hall, 20 March 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#49 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Just as long as the Lindberg 1964 Dodge/Plymouth kits don't vanish I'm good.

I 'wish' they would update/modify/change the tooling to make a 1964 Dodge 2 door hardtop and a 1964 Plymouth 2 door sedan though

#50 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Just as long as the Lindberg 1964 Dodge/Plymouth kits don't vanish I'm good.

I 'wish' they would update/modify/change the tooling to make a 1964 Dodge 2 door hardtop and a 1964 Plymouth 2 door sedan though

And a '65 Plymouth, '63 Dodge and Plymouth, etc.   Though those are all readily available in resin, it would be nice to see them in styrene.

#51 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

The fact that they had issued a lot of old obscure kits with no rhyme or reason leads me to believe that's all the tooling that's currently viable

Why so pessimistic Tom ?

Not Tom either, but the fact that they had Ernie Petit and his 50+ years of industry experience working for them during that time and that's all they could come up with.  I think anything else is going to have to be restored or repaired.  But that seems to be Round 2's thing, so who knows? 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 20 March 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#52 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

And a '65 Plymouth, '63 Dodge and Plymouth, etc.   Though those are all readily available in resin, it would be nice to see them in styrene.

I'd be good with any or all the above, especially a 1965 Plymouth,,

#53 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

@Tom Geiger: The warehouse fire was real, believe you me. I went to a Marden's store during the selloff when they had a 40' shelf section full of the kits and you could definitely smell the smoke on them.

And yet I have more than a dozen of those kits - I tended to buy every '64 Dodge I could find for the Slant 6 - and not a single one smells the least like smoke.  I'm not going to come off like a fire expert, but having worked my fair share of house fires two things are universally true.  EVERYTHING smells heavily of smoke, and almost everything is a wet sodden mess.  Unless it was a minor fire, in which case they didn't need to liquidate anything if it wasn't damaged.

The reason that so many people don't believe there was an actual fire-fire is that suspiciously just a few months after the warehouse "burnt down" and they sold off the inventory to Ollie's and other wholesale outlets the four-year overdue long promised Dodge Charger Police kits MAGICALLY appeared on the market.  It's almost like they needed that cash infusion.  Plus if you talk to people who were involved with Lindberg closely they tend to talk about that time with a wink and a nod and you can't ever find anyone who will deny that something hokey didn't occur.

#54 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

The fact that they had Ernie Petit and his 50+ years of industry experience working for them during that time and that's all they could come up with.  I think anything else is going to have to be restored or repaired.  But that seems to be Round 2's thing, so who knows? 

Exactly.

The '64-5 Mopar B-bodies, the '66 Chevelle SS, the '53 Ford, and the '67 Olds 442 are all kits Round2 could use in their inventory, though the '67 is very close to the AMT '66. Not sure how the '90s 1/20 Lindberg kits will be utilized, if at all.

I just wonder if this sale involves the manufacturing facility in MI where the bulk of Hawk/Lindberg's models were made (pretty much everything tooled pre-J. Lloyd-era).  Could this mean we could see production of AMT and MPC kits return to the US?  Hmm...   :huh:    

Good point. I think Steve Goldman might be able to shed some light on this, as he mentioned the facility in the Lindberg topic.

#55 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,283 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Round2 buying Hawk is a good thing so we don't lose another model company and all those kits...

#56 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

I see nothing but good coming of this.

Charlie Larkin

#57 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Kinda glad to see it.  Lindberg made some really good kits.  The 1/20 scale kits were all nice, and the more recent 1/25 scales like the 53 Ford and 63 Dodge were also really nice.  Hopefully this keeps those kits alive even if they don't keep the company name.

#58 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

As far as the mythical warehouse fire, I don't believe it. That's just Ollie's back story to make the inventory sound more exciting and protect future retail sales for Lindberg / Hawk by calling the kits damaged goods being sold at a discount.  Note that their story said the warehouse was in California, while the company manufacturing operation was in Michigan.  Also note that it would be suspicious none of the desirable kits made it to Ollies.  I believe they had just built up too much inventory that didn't sell and they had to liquidate it.  Unfortunate that the quantities they dumped will satisfy market demand for some of those kits for a very long time!

I've been skeptical of this "fire" as well, Woodland Scenics had an exhaust blower catch on fire and it forced them to shut one building down for a day or two and did no real damage and the industry press as well as their local paper were full of stories about the fire almost immediately.  However, there's never been any mention in the industry press of a fire involving either J. Lloyd/Lindberg or a Southern California distributor that would have had "$5,000,000 worth of Lindberg models" in stock as the Ollie's story claimed.  It was a "fire sale" alright, but just not the kind that involve actual fire! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sale 

#59 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, whoopee, yahoo !!! Glad to know the tooling wont be melted down for scrap.

#60 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

I am going to be devils advocate looking into the future... everyone is all excited and nostalgic for now until the models finally do make it back to shelves again and everyone complains about accuracy issues and difficulty to assemble the kits