Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint booth just got here

And the booth is only as good as the painter. I turn out pretty good results outside on warm un-windy days. Just sayin'. Guess I'm not too concerned about the paint particles going into the atmosphere... I'm a very bad man.

i would also think it would be next to impossible to get sufficient concentration of flammable propellent or solvent vapors while painting a model to cause a problem. BUT (big but) stranger things have happened. When in doubt, heed the instructions. The lawyers put a lot of time into them. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been using the exact same spray booth for a good 18 months now throwing everything from enamels to 2k clear coats at it and its yet to explode or have any kind of an issue.

Its a generic spray booth sold around the world under a number of different names.

Line the inside of the booth with white freezer paper and change it once in awhile it keeps the booth free of permanent paintbuild up.

X2 on that.

When I needed a new filter I took out the one in the booth and went along to a local supplier of filtration material and bought a square metre off his bulk roll of equivalent material.

Buying it like that and cutting them to size at home costs me $1.65 a filter compared to the $15 each they wanted for a original replacement part locally.

I got one too. I think it's great for the money, shhh, I got mine for $29.00 retail. I think I stole it!! I shoot only Acylics but clean up with lacquer tinner, no issues. But watch out for what I call spray back, when you spray too close to the outer limits of the shroud, you may get some in the face!

Line the inside of the booth with white freezer paper and change it once in awhile it keeps the booth free of permanent paintbuild up.

X3 on that, I've had the same booth for a couple of years now, it's had acrylics, enamel and lacquer used through it, and still no explosion here .... the filters cost around £4.50 over here, I'm just ready to swap it again, this is only the 2nd time I've changed it, I do take it out from time to time and give it a good vacuum, just makes them last a little bit longer,

SprayboothLined.jpg

Doesn't look as new as this now ..... but still works perfectly, so yes, you've got a good buy.

oh i love the paper idea ,,,, thanks for posting that pic ,,,, do you mind if i use that idea , i am gonna anyway :lol:

Not at all, it will save the plastic getting ruined by any overspray, the paper is easy to change when it gets too dirty, I usually pop a sheet of newspaper on the base, over the greaseproof paper, as it's easy to change.