hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Full Name:David Gusky

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hey Guys,

This is a project that has taken a few turns along it's journey.  This was the inspiration for this build.

Pierce1PT.jpg

Since at the time I began this rig, no Freightliner FL Series cab was available( I have since bought the Plaskit version, but that is for another project).  It started out with a Mack R style cab, but it looked a little dated.  I checked my "stash", and found a Plaskit Mack RD resin hood.  It was posed with an R cab for a mockup

DSCN1344.jpg

The cab was stripped, hood glued, and painted:

024.jpg

The dry side tanker body was scratchbuilt.  After the pump panel was roughed out, these photos were taken:

MackRD61107.jpg

MackRD61107C.jpg

After investing so much time in the tanker body, I realized, that it was too narrow.  I couldn't bring myself to cut it up, so I set the project aside for a while.  A fellow modeler built a great International elliptical tanker model that I really admired.  He shared his construction techniques and the following advice: "Sometimes a project comes out looking totally different from how we imagined it".  How true!  This is when I made some major changes...

Edited by hooknladderno1, 20 March 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#2 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I took a new frame and wheels, along with a New Bright 1/32 elliptical tank.

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04734.jpg

Over time, the project evolved to this:

[url=http://s176.photobucket.com/user/hooknladderno1/media/Mack%20R%20Tanker/TankerBody02.jpg.html]TankerBody02.jpg[

/URL]

Originally, the rear of the body was flat.  I thought it needed a small extension, so I added an angular piece to the outside panel on each side.

picsay-1325430533.jpg

Still, the pump panel engineering was a challenge...  Again, the project was put aside.  Then, we moved and the rig was put in storage.  Until now :D   While on vacation, This project was brought home.  Work began on roughing out the pump panel.  Here is where it sits tonight. 

picsay-1363831017.jpg

As I have a busy week coming up, I don't expect any progress until next weekend.  Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1, 26 July 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#3 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Another interesting twist in this story is that I eventually did make a few changes to the "dry side" tanker body.  I DID actually cut it in half down the middle.  I also placed it behind a scratchbuilt Pierce Lance cab that I had built.  It is a little oversized as is the tanker body, that has also been modified. 

DSC04738.jpg

As for the above tanker body, I believe I have found a solution:

1406403851_picsay-1406403851.jpg

1406403989_picsay-1406403989.jpg

The cab is from "Models by Dave".  It's raised roof makes the transition to the high hosebed of the tanker not look so out of proportion...

David

Edited by hooknladderno1, 26 July 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#4 cappy625

cappy625

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Full Name:anthony caporiccio

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

you have excellent scratch building skills,by looking at all your pictures, what ever way you go it's going to look great!

#5 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Another update.  I thought that the pump panel could use a crosslay.  So, I began trimming...

1406400796_picsay-1406400796.jpg

1406402224_picsay-1406402224.jpg

I also was not happy with the rear of the tanker body.  While looking at reference photos from similar tankers of the period, I noticed that the angular rears often featured full compartments.  So, I fabricated full rear compartments:

1406400464_picsay-1406400464.jpg

1406400699_picsay-1406400699.jpg

#6 Superpeterbilt

Superpeterbilt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Hymel

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

It looks great. I dont know much about fire apparatus, but its still a truck and I can appreciate the scratchwork. Ill be following this.

#7 mackd

mackd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Full Name:alain bradet

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Beautiful work of scracht built

#8 Chariots of Fire

Chariots of Fire

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Full Name:Charles L. Rowley

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Glad I wasn't on the truck committee Dave! So many changes!! I think it was a wise choice for the eliptical tank. It looks more like it belongs there. Can I make a suggestion for your pump panel? Try cutting a section of aluminum tubing and fit it into a hole that is sized for it on the panel. Let it stick out just a bit. It will look like a gage bezel. If you have some of those hot rod gage clusters cut one out and insert it into the aluminum tubing. Coat it will a bit of Clear and you have a neat gage.
I've also taken photos of actual pump panels, printed out the photos and then punched out the gage face to put inside a bezel. Looks realistic. Naturally you have to size the photo so that the gage face is the right size.