36 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Let's start with the 1971 MPC Plymouth Duster "Mild & Wild" kit, which could be built one of four ways- stock, custom, drag or "wild put on".  The "wild put on" version consisted of Zingers! style overscaled parts which were all the rage in 1971 and gave any model bedecked with them that zany, outta-sight, cartoony look eight year old boys craved in 1971. The kit was molded in yellow and was a good1/25 scale representation of the real car, right down to the Rallye wheels, 340-4 barrel engine, bucket seats and console.

The 1971 "Mild & Wild" boxes are interesting and different due to the box top art being oriented vertically, rather than the usual horizontal orientation:

Posted Image

The 1972 Plymouth Duster was largely unchanged, save for eliminating the custom option, leaving  the kit as a 3'n'1 with stock, drag and "wild put on" build options. It was again molded in yellow, but the drag version was "Akron" Arlen Vanke's Super(?) Stock car this time around. Drag slicks were included, but the stock Rallye wheels were the only wheels present, making for an odd looking drag car.

Posted Image

The 1973 MPC Plymouth Duster kit once again included three building options- stock, street machine, and Super Stock drag racer. The "wild put on" parts were gone, replaced by more serious racing and performance equipment, such as under-bumper ram air tubes, hood scoop, rear spoiler, chrome-plated stock and Fenton mag wheels, and an extra 426 Hemi engine to go along with the carried over 340 small block. Also changed for 1973 was the plastic color, and the kit was now molded in white.

Posted Image

The 1974 Duster annual was again a 3'n'1 kit with stock, drag, and street machine options, with examples of each shown on the box top. A custom street machine grill and rearend, venturi stacks for the dual-carb Hemi engine, a high-rise shrouded hood scoop, and a new rear spoiler were all new for '74, as were the big 'n' little Motorwheel Spyder mag wheels. The '74 was again molded in white, and a smaller decal sheet with new "Block Buster" graphics was included:

Posted Image

The main changes for the '75 Duster annual kit were the decals and new optional 6-slot(!?) wheels, all of equal width/depth, replacing the previous year's Motorwheel Spyders. The same three building options from '74 were carried over (okay, the street machine version was now called "custom"), and the kit was again molded in white:

Posted Image

As far as I know, there was never a '76 Duster annual kit, as the F-body Plymouth Volare was launched in '76 as the A-body Duster's replacement. MPC did release annual '76-'80 Plymouth Volare kits, but the F-bodies deserve their own topic, so this is the end of the line for the MPC Plymouth Duster annual kits...or is it?

I'm not sure how closely the MPC Pro Stockers series kits are related to the annual kits, so if someone can educate us on those, they may be added to this topic. 

#2 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Nice seein' those old Duster kits as I've had a few of them back-in-the-day.

#3 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I must've been one of the few kids who didn't care for the "wild" options on the'71, but the thing that really puzzled me was something you noted as well: why go to all this trouble to offer "wild" options if you're not going to offer anything other than stock wheels.

I'm waiting to see the rest of the sprues you've got. When I finally got around to buying a mid-'70s MPC A-body (the box called it a Dart, but I think the grille still said Plymouth) I found that it had some interesting "custom" parts: Trans Am fender air extractors and chromed Pontiac Honeycomb wheels. I was only 14, but I knew enough about cars to know that that was wrong.

#4 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

You're not alone Monty. While I always prefer a nice set of mags to stock wheels, I usually prefer a clean looking car without alot of showy jazzed up items added on.

#5 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I must've been one of the few kids who didn't care for the "wild" options on the'71, but the thing that really puzzled me was something you noted as well: why go to all this trouble to offer "wild" options if you're not going to offer anything other than stock wheels.

I think the answer to that lies on the different sections of the chrome trees. If we consider the quadrant with the bumper to always be the upper right quadrant, the lower left quadrant changes through the years, with the air cleaner, fan, and goofy gas tank half pieces disappearing in '73, replaced by a second set of wheels and the two-piece Sport mirrors. 

#6 Mopar Mike

Mopar Mike

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Cashmon

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Casey,

If you don't have enough storage room you could always send one or two my way.

Mike

Mopar To Ya

#7 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Nice pics..I have all of those except for the '71.  I also have a '73 Pro Stock kit molded in orange, got it as a partially built parts kit, box and decals missing.

#8 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

I see on the 75 kit box, it has a clear hood scoop. Anyone know if it was actually clear in the kit ?

IF if is ,,,,,,,I NEED one of those scoops bad.

ps, not all 1972  kits were molded in yellow. Mine is molded in Curious Yellow ( aka Cintronyella ) which is more of a greenish  yellow when compared to the 71 kits color ( I have both as unbuilt / builders )

1972 on the left- 1971 on the right in all 3 pictures. subtle differences are - sidemarkers, and interior patterns and tail lights were the most obvious differences between the 2 kits

dusters-a.JPG

duster-c.JPG

duster-b.JPG

Edited by gtx6970, 22 March 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#9 towtruck

towtruck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:John Goewert.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

good to see these old kits again.. thank's for pic's and review..great post ! :D   

#10 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

All I can say is COOL! But then I'm a Duster freak. I have a few of those kits.
Two build ups of the 73 and 74 and 75 kits I got in a rebuilder state. Used one
of the 73 kits to do my 1:1 car.

#11 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Thanks for posting this "kit-history lesson".  I've always thought that these old MPC kits actually got the shape of the roofline and overall body molded a little better than the late-1990's kit issued by AMT/Ertl. 

Yes, the AMT/Ertl kit was much better in 340 engine, chassis and interior detail, but the body's roofline just wasn't right along the side windows... these MPC kits did a better job on that!

#12 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

I see on the 75 kit box, it has a clear hood scoop. Anyone know if it was actually clear in the kit ?

IF if is ,,,,,,,I NEED one of those scoops bad.

No, it was molded in white, in two pieces. You can see both halves in the third pic of the '75 kit post.

Thanks for the info, too, Bill.

#13 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,300 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

Thanks for posting this "kit-history lesson".  I've always thought that these old MPC kits actually got the shape of the roofline and overall body molded a little better than the late-1990's kit issued by AMT/Ertl. 

Yes, the AMT/Ertl kit was much better in 340 engine, chassis and interior detail, but the body's roofline just wasn't right along the side windows... these MPC kits did a better job on that!

There is a lot to love about '60s-70s MPC kits, IMO...

#14 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I certainly agree, Rob!

#15 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

as far as the prostocks go, the California Flash is pretty much a stock 72 Duster with the wheels and hemi specific parts. Not sure about the Sox and Martin since I do not own that one but I think it is similar to the Cal Flash Duster only in a 73. The Mopar Missle has a lot more specific parts in it for that version. Chassis plate has the exhaust removed. Interior tub has the rear seat deleted and made to look like riveted metal. The rest of it is pretty  much the 73 Duster. Missing the stock pieces of course.

#16 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

I just ck'd all mine, I have builtups of the California Flash duster, Sox-Martin Duster and Mopar Missle dusters,

All have the same interior - race ft bucket seats and no back seat. with virtually no interior door panel design molded in . Just window and door handles cranks.  I bought them as builtups so I can't say for sure if any / all / none  of them came that way from MPC or not

Both my Ca.  Flash and S+M Dusters are molded in white, Missle duster is molded in black

#17 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Looking at your photos Casey it looks like the 71 Demon shares much of the same tooling as the 71-72 Duster kits.  Compare the chrome trees.  I'll bet the engine, chassis and probably the glass is identical too.

3cb3ba24-6f55-44aa-9646-c1bdb8282217.jpg

72Dust3.jpg

#18 Funkster

Funkster

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Funck

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Casey

That is not a devil on the back panel. The Duster had a sub model called the "TWISTER", that is a picture of a twister. The Demon had a decal of the devil on it?

#19 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Casey

That is not a devil on the back panel. The Duster had a sub model called the "TWISTER", that is a picture of a twister. The Demon had a decal of the devil on it?

I originally had "dust devil", but I wasn't sure what its official name is.

I thought it might get too messy if both the Duster and Demon/Dart Sport kits were all in one topic, despite the fact both Plymouth and Dodge '71-'76 A-bodies, both real and in 1/25 scale, share many parts. I sure hope Round2 decides to put the Spyder wheels from the Duster back onto the chrome sprue as an optional set of wheels when the '71 Demon is backdated.  :)

#20 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yours may be a hodge podge of parts then because I know for certain the cal flash had a stock interior. Like I said, the S&M car I dont know for sure. So I'm betting that you actually have 2 S&M kits or posibily a mixture of all of them to get the kits you have. My Mopar Missile is white plastic. I want to say the S&M car was white also? The Cal Flash I have is red.

DSC_0859_zpse6edb943.jpg

DSC_0856_zpsa5b1a1c6.jpg

DSC_0858_zps7cb63e1f.jpg

DSC_0857_zps1d3cc2ca.jpg