Jim_Kampmann

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Kampmann

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Paul,

You are correct, the S & M Duster was white. Pretty much the same kit as the Mopar Missle but in white plastic. My Calif. Flash is molded in orange. 

Jim Kampmann

#22 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Paul,

You are correct, the S & M Duster was white. Pretty much the same kit as the Mopar Missle but in white plastic. My Calif. Flash is molded in orange. 

Jim Kampmann

Jim,

So maybe my Mopar Missile is in fact the Sox and Martin car. Or they could have come both ways but that may explain what GTX has then. Also the Flash car is a 72, the Missile and the S&M car were 73's

Paul

#23 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the review , Casey !

The 1973 annual has been my "white whale" , with the '74 and '75 right behind . Always far-out of my financial reach !

My only *problems* I have with these Duster (and Dart Sport) kits is :

1.) Absolutely no brake master cylinder ! Not ever a hint of one !

2.) 4 speed transmission with automatic console and shifter !

As far as I'm aware , a 1976 Duster kit never materalised ! Only -scale- difference would be the grille ; and in "1:1" would be :

1.) Ambre-coloured parking lamp lenses ;

2.) Foot-operated parking brake , and ;

3.) Windshield-mount interior rear view mirror

Also , for 1976 , the 360 was relegated to option status , and was no longer its own , separate model . The 360 could be had with any trim level Duster (and the 1976 Valiant "A38" police package , but that's another story ...).

Its h.p. rating was sublime for 1976 : 220 hp ! How so ? True dual exhaust and no catalytic converters !

Edited by 1972coronet, 22 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#24 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for this thread. This answers a lot of questions I had about the MPC 72 Duster kit I'm slowly restoring. Mine was built as the race car and I was planning to build as the Arlen Vanke Duster. Mine is molded in yellow and has the stock interior and no hole in the hood but has the hood scoop pictured. Dis the race cars come in yellow and have a Hemi in them?

#25 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

My only *problems* I have with these Duster (and Dart Sport) kits is :

2.) 4 speed transmission with automatic console and shifter !

Actually the console is the same from the automatic with exception to bigger hole for the shifter in place of the auto gate, (the upper console plates are interchangable btw and still available aftermarket resto) and there is a cutout on the drivers side at the bottom for clearance of the tunnel hump for shifter clearance. Therefor it could be fibbed a bit and changed to resemble a 4 spd console with minimal work.

Paul

#26 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I want to say the S&M car was white also? 

This appears to be a sealed inside original Sox & Martin Duster Pro Stock kit, molded in white:

SnM73Duster1.jpg

#27 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Actually the console is the same from the automatic with exception to bigger hole for the shifter in place of the auto gate[.]

Therefor it could be fibbed a bit and changed to resemble a 4 spd console with minimal work.

Paul

The only problem with that is that , in Darts , et al. , consoles with 4 speed trans were dropped after the 1969 model year (does anyone know why ???) . The only exception to this that I've seen was the Mexico-plant-built , Mexican market 1970 Dart GTS , 1971-1976 Valiant Super Bee . I'll see if I can find a photo to share :)

#28 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Paul mr68gts - Here's a link to "1:1" scale forum wherein the Mexico Super Bee is being discussed ; and about 1/2 way down the page is a group of photos which show that 4-speed / console combination .

(I'd LOVE to have a Mexican Super Bee some day !)

http://www.challenge...415/index2.html

#29 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Nice Review.......I have 3 of the '75s unbuilt.....And everything you have pictured in the post .....I spent a small fortune on mine....That's just the kits....Promo's I have a 71' 72' three 73's....Every color 74' 6 total....And one 75' Dart....And 2 76' Darts.....I have almost four grand invested in my promo/kit collection.

#30 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

I just pulled my Leal Flash duster apart to ck plastic. Mine the body and hood is molded in red , interior is white.( exact same interior as the S+M 1973 Duster) Chassis is some generik tubbed version so it's of no use. So I agree it's probably a hodge podge of parts. (I'll still keep it all the same)

My S+M car is most definitly white and my Missle Duster is most definitly black plastic. I've never seen either one in any different color.

The best I can tell is the Missle and S+M cars are the exact same kit save for plastic color and decals.

#31 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hmm,

Never paid attention to that. I've only seen 2 4 spd dusters. One had a console out of earlier dart and then the one I saw in the wrecking yard had no colsole brackets so no console.

The only problem with that is that , in Darts , et al. , consoles with 4 speed trans were dropped after the 1969 model year (does anyone know why ???) . The only exception to this that I've seen was the Mexico-plant-built , Mexican market 1970 Dart GTS , 1971-1976 Valiant Super Bee . I'll see if I can find a photo to share :)

#32 Pete L.

Pete L.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Linszky
    JSMCC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the exstensive detailing of the kit contents. I had a few of them "back in the day" , I thought  they were a pretty good rendition of the Pro Stockers from the era...I especially liked the Grump's Camaro.

#33 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

I just bought a 1972 Duster 340 MPC Annual from eBay (paid a princely sum for it , too) in very good condition ; 100% complete . Oddly , the included instruction sheet was in two languages , primarily Francais (French) with American English subtitles ; "Airtex" or something ? It's not at all a problem ; matter of fact , I find this to be quite novel , as it harkens back to the days when French was the international language (until English replaced it ~10 years ago) .

But , I divulge ...

I'll have to look at its contents again , as I wish to ascertain its moulded colour . Obviously it's yellow ; however , if it is indeed (GY3) Curious Yellow , then it's a goof ! Curious Yellow was a 1971-only colour !

I'm planning to paint it either TB3 Basin Street Blue (similar to Petty Blue) , or maybe I'll end up blasting it with Curious Yellow , even though it's "incorrect" .

It's a very cool kit ! While I do pine for a primo 1973-1975 , this will definitely suffice in the interirm .

As Casey stated ; it would be super if Round2 were to retool the Motor Wheels Spyder for the pending 1971 Demon 340 !

#34 doggie427

doggie427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Location:currently 10th dimension;considering a move to the 13th
  • Full Name:wayne sauchuk

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

I just bought a 1972 Duster 340 MPC Annual from eBay (paid a princely sum for it , too) in very good condition ; 100% complete . Oddly , the included instruction sheet was in two languages , primarily Francais (French) with American English subtitles ; "Airtex" or something ? It's not at all a problem ; matter of fact , I find this to be quite novel , as it harkens back to the days when French was the international language (until English replaced it ~10 years ago) .

Canadian MPC kits in that time period always had the instructions (and sometimes the boxes) in French and English

#35 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

They're all the same kit (original Demon, '71-'75 Dusters, '75-'76 Dart Sport).  A few things of note:

-the California Flash kit had a stock interior bucket (rear seat molded in), as did the other three '72 Pro Stock kits.  For '73, MPC opened up their wallet and tooled "gutted" interiors, though the same one was used in the Barracuda and Challenger, and as a result was way too narrow for the Challenger.  The Duster unit fits well.  MPC didn't get to the molded-in exhaust systems until '74 (in the case of the Duster, I'm not sure they did; the sections on either side of the driveshaft were molded as part of the chassis in the stock kits).  The Sox & Martin Duster was a '73 Pro Stocker, the Mopar Missile was issued for '74.

-the inside of the Demon hood is exactly the same as the Duster's.  The inside of the Duster hood bulge is there, making the Demon hood (no center bulge) awfully thin at the center.  The original Demon is a "grail" kit for a lot of folks, but, truth be told, it wasn't very accurate.  The front bumper/grille doesn't fit very well, the hood is too flat, and the front wheel openings are incorrect.   

-the '73 Duster kit did not come with the vinyl hoses mentioned in the box art.

-the hood scoop in the '75 Duster kit was not molded in clear.  The box mentions that it is shown in clear only to show the intake setup that came in the kit.

-there was no '76 Duster kit because the tool had been converted to the Dart Sport by then.  The Duster was issued in the first group of '75 annual kits, then the conversion was done and the Dart issued later on.

#36 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for this thread. This answers a lot of questions I had about the MPC 72 Duster kit I'm slowly restoring. Mine was built as the race car and I was planning to build as the Arlen Vanke Duster. Mine is molded in yellow and has the stock interior and no hole in the hood but has the hood scoop pictured. Dis the race cars come in yellow and have a Hemi in them?

The Arlen Vanke decals were included in the '72 annual kit, as was the hood scoop and a roll bar, but no other racing parts were included. 

#37 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'd love to find a '74 so I can build my grandmother's car. All I'll need to do is figure out with what or how to make the bench seat and apparently, swap in a TorqueFlite.

That and those blasted updated "Coolie-Hat" wheel covers.

Do I even want to know how much these are trading for?

Charlie Larkin

#38 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Going though old posts and ran across this one. I'm not biggest Mopar fan, but I love Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports and their successors the Volares and Aspens.

It's cool to see all of different boxes for the MPC Duster annuals. and parts for some. I remember buying a yellow '72 Duster kit in the fall of 1972, after the new '73 kits were out. Because it was "last years" model I got it on sale. Bought it from the Gagers hobby store at the then fairly new Rosedale shopping center in Roseville, MN. A few months later, at the 1973 World of Wheels show at the old St. Paul Civic Center, I entered it in my first model contest. A buddy and I brought our best models to the MPC sponsored contest. If you were a kid and brought a model to the contest, I believe you got into the show for free. Because of this, my buddy's young brother, who was not into models, slapped together the Zingers Dodge Van kit. The next day we went back to get our models at the end of show, and to see if we won anything. Both my buddy and were skunked. But, his kid brother? He won a trophy!

Anyhow, fun to see that old '72 Duster kit again. I am a little surprised that the '71 annual was the first Duster kit that MPC released. It looks like they ignored the bookend Dusters. The 1970 and 1976. Duster was a big hit right away. So I wonder why we didn't see a kit of it sooner?

Last, my first new real car was a Spitfire Orange 1977 Plymouth Volare Custom. A beautiful car, with a black bench seat interior, with silver inserts were you sat. And it had a black vinyl top over the front half of the roof. 225, Torqueflite, AM radio, and air. The car was a piece of junk. But, it sure looked good. It didn't last long, but I still have the promo model painted in the same Spitfire Orange.

Ah... The memories.

Scott Aho

#39 Robberbaron

Robberbaron

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Robert J. Barron

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

The main changes for the '75 Duster annual kit were the decals and new optional 6-slot(!?) wheels, all of equal width/depth, replacing the previous year's Motorwheel Spyders...75Duster.jpg

Kinda curious about those 6-slot wheels. The only 1:1 6-slots that I know of were made by American Dragmaster (different company than American Racing), but I've never seen them reproduced in scale. If the ones in the Duster kit are accurate versions of Dragmasters, they'd be good candidates for one of the resin casters to start repopping.

Edited by Robberbaron, 20 April 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#40 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

You have a pic if the actual wheels?