Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grandpa's DRAGULA

DavidChampagne

Grandpa's "DRAGULA" from the "Munsters" TV series.

The best thing about this kit is the detail on the coffin. Beautiful indeed. Almost worth the price of the kit.

The wire wheels for the front are a disgrace in my opinion. One piece and ugly. If I can find my stash of extra parts, I will replace them. They are not glued yet.

Did not like it with a parachute so I put a "BARRIS" decal there instead.

Mixed some Tamiya clear Orange and clear Yellow to detail some of the chrome.

Not exactly true to the original. but I like it.

OOPS...noticed in the pics that I need a slight touch up on rear axle. AND, should have used a cleaner towel for the backdrop...LOL.

Thanks for looking.

002_zpsa1861647.jpg

005_zpsa66071f1.jpg

004_zps3cb164ba.jpg

001_zps29c70b2e.jpg

007_zpsdac76a9f.jpg

006_zpsfe6b72e4.jpg

003_zps70b3821d.jpg

Edited by DavidChampagne

I built on of these a while back and used Coffin Purple on the inside too.

The front wheels were a bummer too ..so I gave them a light black wash.

They look like they forgot to include the back side of the spoke wheel.

Thanks for posting and keep up the ghoul work.

Nicely done! By the way, the Dragula was designed by Tom Daniel NOT George Barris. Just a little trivia for you. ;)

It gets confusing. The car came out of the Barris Studio, but was actually designed by Tom Daniel, working for Barris. So it could be said that it's a "Barris" designed car, generically... but the George Barris didn't design it.

The front wheel in your pic, Harry, are from a different kit. I still have a set of the originals and they are as you see in David's build. He said they are not glued which may explain why they have not been fitted to the tires. Probably some of the worst spoke wheels ever molded. They would not fit in the hard plastic tires without massaging. I remember as a kid I tried forcing them in the tires by bitting them. ...Vun spoke, Twooo spokes, Vif-tee spokes. Wah hah ha.

I read a Tom Daniel interview on the Munsters cars..... I hope I get this right. Barris ask TD to do some drawings and gave TD some general guideslines. Barris needed them pretty quick. TD whipped up both the Grandpa's Coffin car and the Coach. Barris build them. You can decide who should get the credit.

You did a great job, David!

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Jason, you should be able to get one at Hobby Lobby if you want one. Don't forget to bring a 40% discount coupon.

Thanks Scott and Harry. Thought I had a duplicate set of chrome from my "ED ROTH's OUTLAW" kit somewhere and planned to use those. Can't find them.

MVC-478F.jpg

Been seeing posts here and there about scratch building wire wheels. Been wanting to try using some fishing line for the spokes. Will have to give this some thought.

It gets confusing. The car came out of the Barris Studio, but was actually designed by Tom Daniel, working for Barris. So it could be said that it's a "Barris" designed car, generically... but the George Barris didn't design it.

Thank you Captain Technical! :rolleyes: Oh wait- I'm just as bad ain't I? :rolleyes:

Edited by MAGNUM4342

I read a Tom Daniel interview on the Munsters cars..... I hope I get this right. Barris ask TD to do some drawings and gave TD some general guides lines. Barris needed them pretty quick. TD whipped up both the Grandpa's Coffin car and the Coach. Barris build them. You can decide who should get the credit.

You did a great job, David!

Scott

I heard the story quite the same as you. My issue is that Barris will steal credit from anyone who doesn't have the stones to stick up for themselves and even some who do. I was really suprised that his most famous creation was pretty much done by everyone else, the Batmobile. A production designer came up with the shape, Bill Cushenbery did the modifications and the prop department added all the doo-dads! ^_^

David, I love the shade of gold you chose here. VERY close to the original, and the trimwork on the lights sets it off nicely. B)B)B)

Edited by MAGNUM4342