#61 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Wouldn't you be able to find propeller nose cones among RC suppliers? Or maybe US drone manufacturers?

#62 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Getting close to finished on the wing structures... for the upper wing, all I still need to do is form the curved wing ends and attach them:

upper-wing_zpse4278bf9.jpg

On the lower wings, I created the curved wing tips by laminating several strips of the same birch veneer that I covered the fuselage with. It was easier to get the tight radius curves using this method than to try and soak and bend a solid piece to shape:

lower-wings_zps073175aa.jpg

I still need to add all the wing trailing edges (actually a piece of stiff wire), then sand and form the leading edges so that they are rounded in profile. Since this model will be covered (not a "skeleton" like the kit is intended to be built), I'm leaving out all of the internal wing detail... a whole network of pulleys, brackets, metal tubes and tensioning cables that was used to keep the wings stiff. Since none of this detail will be seen on a "covered" model, I see no point in spending the time and effort to include it. Also, since I'll be covering the wings, I didn't have to be too careful when applying glue... I flowed a lot of it into every joint, since it doesn't matter whether or not you see any glue. It all goes bye bye when I cover the wings!

More to come...

#63 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Top wing done...

top-wing-done_zps707364be.jpg

#64 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Your grid is in inches I'm guessing ????

#65 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Your grid is in inches I'm guessing ????

Yes.

#66 dpride

dpride

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:David Pride

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't usually get too involved in aircraft but I like the look of your model.

If I ever built a model for myself ( we have made many for work) it would be a GeeBee racer......because they are unstable hot rods. :)

I also followed Burt Rutan's work for a while.

#67 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

I sanded the leading edges of the upper wing so that they're all round in profile, and added the trailing edges of brass rod and aluminum tape straps (included in kit) to hold them to the ribs.. Too bad all of this cool looking structure will be covered... never to be seen again!

finished-upper-wing_zps18d1c85a.jpg

#68 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Front cowling made from a section of plastic Easter egg:

cowling_zpsedf6c17a.jpg

#69 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Clever idea with plastic egg. Looks like it worked out well.

#70 rustbucket82

rustbucket82

MCM Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Full Name:Jared Wagner

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

and I thought my Wingnut Wings kits were nuts, Very nice work Harry.

#71 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Structure of lower wings done. If I was building this model as intended, these would be finished and ready to install:

lower-wings-finished_zps56e0a4ce.jpg

But I'm building a covered version, so all of this structure will disappear forever. Too bad! The "bones" look cool.

#72 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Amazing work Harry !!  Looking foward to seeing more.

#73 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

More on the way.

#74 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I don't know how you can juggle so many projects at once, and do each one so well. This looks like the toughest project I've seen you do, harder than a Pocher, and if I had the skill I'd do it the same way to put canvas on it.

#75 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't know how you can juggle so many projects at once, and do each one so well. This looks like the toughest project I've seen you do, harder than a Pocher, and if I had the skill I'd do it the same way to put canvas on it.

This one is tougher than a Pocher, but probably because I've built a lot of Pochers and sort of know what to look out for... but I have never before built a model plane that wasn't a typical injection-molded plastic kit, or has anywhere near this much detail, so this is literally virgin territory for me. Especially the covering of the fuselage and wings. Never done that before!

#76 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

ok... keep in mind that I have never done this before, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it "wrong," or at least not the way model airplane guys would do it. But the end result is what counts, not how I got there!

First I bought a piece of muslin fabric (no, not Muslim... muslin  :D ). To cover the wing, I cut out a piece slightly larger than the top surface–I will first cover the top surface, bringing the edges of the fabric down and around the wing edges, glue the fabric edges onto the underside structure of the wing, then cut a piece the exact shape of the wing and use that to cover the underside of the wing (and to hide the folded-over fabric from the top surface). First step is to glue the fabric all along the leading edge of the wing on the bottom surface of the leading edge by applying drops of CA right on top of the cloth. The CA soaks right into the cloth and grabs on to the wooden structure. Remember, in this photo you're looking at the bottom surface of the wing facing up, leading edge away from me:

upper-wing-a_zpsb75a83aa.jpg

Now I take the cloth and fold it under the wing. The wing is still bottom side up, leading edge away from me, same position as it was previously, The only difference is that now I have the cloth folded under the wing. I now take the edge of the cloth closest to me (the trailing edge of the wing) and tape the cloth down to my work surface like so:

upper-wing-b_zps6b8c2e95.jpg

Now comes the slick part! With the cloth taped down, I take the wing and flip it over, flip it towards me, so that the wing is now laying on my work surface right-side-up with the leading edge facing me... and then push the wing away from me. Remember, the cloth is glued to the leading edge of the wing, but not yet to the trailing edge, and the loose (unglued) side of the cloth is taped to my work surface... so as I push the wing away from me, it stretches the cloth evenly and consistently across the wing from front to back. Once the cloth is stretched, I apply dabs of CA all along the trailing edge of the wing, to "lock down" the cloth:

upper-wing-c_zpsdb016efc.jpg

Now all that's left is to trim away some of the excess cloth and fold the edges of the cloth over the edges of the wing structure and glue those loose edges on the underside of the wing. Then I take the second piece of cloth, the one I cut to the exact shape and size of the wing, and glue it to the underside, to cover both the underside of the wing and the edges from the cloth on the top side that were folded over and glued to the bottom side. It sounds complicated reading it in words, but actually it's a pretty straightforward process. Again, maybe not the way it's "supposed" to be done... but this is my first time, so I basically made this up as I went along, relying on logic and common sense.

The lower wings were done in the same exact manner:

lower-wings-done_zps3c7da033.jpg

More to come...

#77 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,532 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Real Nice Wings Harry!

B)

#78 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I look forward to seeing the finished model, Harry.  I was fortunate to see a reproduction Albatros actually flying several years ago.  In fact, I believe it was the same one you showed in your first post.  Those planes are amazing to see in the air.

At the 31 minute mark, you'll see the Albatros:

#79 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I agree, Joseph... those WWI planes are just so cool! And to my eye, the Albatros is the coolest one of them all. It was neat to see it take off in the video you posted, even if it's "only" a replica.

Right now I have the wings covered, they're ready for paint. I should have a new update within a few days.

#80 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Looking terrific. Makes me want to haul out my videos of The Blue Max and Dawn Patrol (but the best of those is Howard Hughes' 1930 "Hell's Angels," with staged dogfights filmed without miniatures or special effects, marred by some actual fatalities).