#42 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think I'll watch Judge Judy and see if that case comes up!   :)

With old cars... 99 percent of the fleet must get used up and scrapped or we'd be 20 feet deep in old cars everywhere.  There have always been more cars than demand, so decent running cars do get scrapped. It goes back to Henry Ford's reverse assembly line in the 1920s. There were so many cars around then it was jeopardizing this opportunity to build new ones.  

#43 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

Got that right, just hate it when you see old iron going to scrap. The tuner rockets can go all they want.  If the old iron HAS to go, then why not have a little fun with 'em before they go!!??

#44 camarofreak82_427

camarofreak82_427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Full Name:brandan pyles

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

hey guys i got my pics on junk photobucket 

016_zps2dd77a81.jpg

drilled holes for the glow plugs and am adding more details to the block and trans its a mopar 360 out of a 77 manico 

015_zps9477c339.jpg

i am in the prosess of scratch building headers right now

#45 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Good start...

#46 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Busbey

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

Im in 66 and 65 chevelle wagons both were glue bombs
Before pic and one as there being transformed

We use derby all the time but mostly ran 70s chevy wagons

Attached Files

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

We use derby all the time but mostly ran 70s chevy wagons

MVC001S1-vi.jpgMVC002S-vi.jpg

Back when I ran the demo at Wall Stadium in NJ back in the 1980s, rules were no station wagons, no commercial chassis and no Chrysler Imperials! I liked full size Chevys, here's my 70 4 door sedan. A friend gave my partner and I this one because he bought it to use as transportation and had one issue after another.  He had the water pump go, had that replaced, then the radiator went. He replaced that and the trans started to slip so he had enough. He said it wouldn't go into high (2 speed auto).  As I was prepping the car I noticed the trans fluid was very low so I filled it up.  As I headed down into the demo pit I felt it shift!

This is an example of how to bring back a demo car.  Note the rear is packed perfectly flat. Can still see out the back and once it gets to a certain point, you can't do much more damage to it.  Also note that the hood is completely clean.  Always protect your nose.  

My cars were always pink and we called ourself the Pink E-Racer Team.  The "Russia Stay Home" was when Russia was boycotting the Olympics.

I did buy an F&F 4 door hardtop to build this one someday.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 14 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#48 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Tom i guess it depends were u live we couldnt run imperials or hearses

#49 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

We couldn't run Imperials here either.. Heck here they ran taxi's and anything else...

#50 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Yea people nowdays like the bubble top caprices and impalas the crazist car ive seen derbied was a 64 1/2 mustang in pristine condition ( i liked it getting smashed up since i dont like ford) go against built chevy wagon tanks . Mustang didnt last long vs them. Come to find out the guy was getting divorced and the soon to be ex wife wanted that car in the divorce i wander how she liked the improvements

#51 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

For the most part the demo derbies near me mainly used full size cars. There was never a shortage of beat to death LTDs, Impalas, Caddys, Lincolns and full size Mopars.  I never paid for a car, someone always was willing to donate one to me just to see or know it was destroyed.  You really didn't want to go out there in anything smaller.  Cars as large as Dusters or Novas were small in the demo. At Wall Stadium the cars battled in a field designated by telephone poles laid around the perimeter, so there were no straight aways where you could get up speed. All the hits were done at a fairly low speed, and a hit between two cars of the same size just gave you a jolt you were prepared for.  When a Lincoln hit a Nova, the Nova would spin around, and that's the kinda action where you could get hurt, sprain your neck or back.  

The smallest car I ever used was a 1973 Cougar. It didn't run well so it didn't last long. It was a donation and a hard luck car for the owner. So he was glad to see it destroyed.  I did pull off all the usable trim etc, and it went to a Cougar guy.

I did see a lot of interesting cars destroyed. This was back in the early 1980s and I remember a '56 Plymouth,  a low mile '60 Dodge and a '65 Thunderbird just off the top of my head. I have a ton of pictures in albums that I should scan and post on my Fotki page. The usual story with these was that the guy had the car and had tried to sell it for a long time with no takers.  So it eventually wound up at the demo.  I know how that goes, I had a '63 Studebaker project car that I tried to sell for a year.  In the end, I wound up parting it out for 3 times what I couldn't sell the whole car for!

MVC004S-vi.jpg

Here's the Cougar pre-battle.  The KILL RUSSIA  was the week that the Russians had shot down a Korean airliner that had strayed into their airspace. The Cougar didn't run well at all and in the perfect location.  Sideways, right in front of the stands.  We got the People's Choice award. I have all the parts in the box to build this one someday.

#52 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Here we have sub-compact clesses for the front wheel drive cars. we have truck demos for pick ups and vans. Heck we've even had combine demos awhile back....

#53 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

We have compact cars regular cars and some derbys they have outlaw derbys were u run watever car u want its basically run wat u brung

#54 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Around here in Illinois and Wisc we can't run what ya rung kind of thing. They are pretty set in their rules. Although people tweak them a bit!! :huh:

#55 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

We have compact cars regular cars and some derbys they have outlaw derbys were u run watever car u want its basically run wat u brung

Outlaw derbys sound dangerous.  People get hurt when vehicles of different sizes collide. 

#56 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Outlaw derbys sound dangerous.  People get hurt when vehicles of different sizes collide. 

Right, saw a guy in Belvidere Illinois running a Maverick with the Caddies. Maverick took one hit to the passenger side door/quarter area, ripped the car completly in two right accross the back of the seat!!!

#57 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Its funny how much the demos are in different places, i see on some of these models that they have roll cages, around here if u show up with any kind of cage you cant run, also welding anything on it you cant run, my wifes family has been running dems f since the 50s

#58 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

I hear ya, every place in the world has it's own and different rules.

#59 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

O but the outlaw derbys are awsome ive see. Cars collide so hard it flipped a car on its top and another car ran right on top another but when u derby getting hurt is a chance u take everything from whiplash to broken bones. Its part of the rush my buddies who have ran compact and fullside said the compacts hurt worse because they can get speed across the track as fast as 45 in reverse

#60 chevyfever2009

chevyfever2009

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Heres a update on my wagon got the motor to fit after sum adjusting

Attached Files