Best paints & techniques for replicating higher mileage exhaust?

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Just looking for the best way to capture the look of an exhaust system with, say, 50k+ miles on it. I'm more interested in seeing age & accumulation than rust. I'd appreciate seeing pics of whatever you're recommending.

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,743 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

If it's just the look of a used car you're after, and not rust specifically, remember this: a typical car's underside after a while is pretty much all the same shade of dirt. Basically everything is dark gray, unless the underside has been steam-cleaned.

#3 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

If it's just the look of a used car you're after, and not rust specifically, remember this: a typical car's underside after a while is pretty much all the same shade of dirt. Basically everything is dark gray, unless the underside has been steam-cleaned.

Not exactly so Harry. If you live in say Georgia or parts of West Virginia (ahem) you'll fing an orange tinge to the undercarriage from the red clay. Parts of alabama will give you a dark grey while Florida gives you a half sandblasted lighter grey. It's all about where you are. It is true though, that the whole underside will end up monochromatic.

#4 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

My maroon 80,000 mile ride is still maroon on the bottom side with some black components, zink looking joints and such with a rusted-up exhaust system.  It is not all one color. 

#5 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

My maroon 80,000 mile ride is still maroon on the bottom side with some black components, zink looking joints and such with a rusted-up exhaust system.  It is not all one color. 

Translation: I have decent paved roads where I live and take regular care of my ride. Good on ya! :) 

#6 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm cooking up something right now for weathered chassis and exhausts...  will post photos when I get a chance.  Involves techniques and products used by armor and aircraft modelers (Hint: AK Interactive).  

Keep an eye out, should have something posted by the end of the week (I'm ridiculously slow and a bit of a procrastinator  B) )

#7 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm cooking up something right now for weathered chassis and exhausts...  will post photos when I get a chance.  Involves techniques and products used by armor and aircraft modelers (Hint: AK Interactive).  

Keep an eye out, should have something posted by the end of the week (I'm ridiculously slow and a bit of a procrastinator  B) )

As Oprah might say to her microwave: I WANT IT NOW! :)

#8 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

:lol:  :lol:

#9 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

The best way I can think of to find what colors work for a weathered car (body shell, underside, the principle is pretty much the same) , you might spend some time with your camera, looking at the real thing.  IF you can get access to an automotive repair garage, and can get pics of the underside of say, an older car with some mileage on it, that would be a good start.

To be more specific, most all exhaust systems on production cars are made in steel, and steel rusts.  So just looking around outside a muffler shop or other garage (you might talk to the folks, explain to them what you are wanting to do) and taking some pics of old rusted exhaust systems or parts that have been removed, and are waiting for the junkman.  That alone can give you a wealth on information (a picture is still worth at least 10,000 words, I think!).  Basically though, rusty exhaust systems will be medium to dark grungy brown in color, but not necessarily the same shade all over.

Art

#10 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

It'll also depend on what kind of vehicle you're replicating. Many newer vehicles are using stainless exhausts (not sure of the exact alloy) which will discolor with the heat and road grime, but doesn't rust like the old plain steel/aluminized steel exhaust does. You might see some rust around the welded joints, but the pipes themselves, as well as the mufflers, will be fairly clean.

#11 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well, thanks to the Game of Thrones watch-a-thon and an unexpected Easter dinner with the in-laws (and my own procrastinating self)  i didn't get my little experiment done this weekend, but this is what I'm doing, just changing the colors to a dark, rusty undercoat and the misty overspray to a more road-grimy color and a little more rusty/dirty colored wash as well. 

Screenshots taken from AK Interactive Weathering Magazine Issue #3, posted under Fair Use guidelines for educational purposes. 

photo2-vi.png

photo3-vi.png

photo4-vi.png

photo5-vi.png

#12 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Well worth the wait, Brett!

Edited by Monty, 01 April 2013 - 08:33 AM.