29 replies to this topic

#21 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

Back in the 1980s when I ran the CAD room, we would cut the drawings with a metal straight edge and eXacto blade.  I asked the department secretary to order 10 packs of blades, you know the packs with 10 blades in them... well, order comes and she ordered 10 of the 100 packs.  I still have no 11 blades today!

Geez Tom that's not a DUH moment, that's a gift !  I can't count how many times I get all ready to BMF and DUH...I have no new blades ! Then I go to my local Wal-Mart to get some blades..and they have none.  I swear there is another model builder in my town buying up all the #11's at Wal-Mart !  :unsure:

#22 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,474 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

I have so many duh moments l can't remember most of them...

#23 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts
  • Full Name:^^^^

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

One that has happened to me more than once- I'll install the interior and chassis and be working on some of the final assembly stuff, then I'll look over and see the shifter still laying on the workbench.

Sometimes it spills over into when I'm mailing stuff out for a trade- last week I sent something out, and realized I'd put my own address in the 'ship to' space and the other guy's address in the return space. Fortunatelly I caught that before I sent it.

#24 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

Worst one for me ( it happens on a regular basis btw ) is I'll walk into a room , or up to the bench , or up to the tool box or look into the fridge .

Only to stand back and say to myself, Now what was it I was after again?

Model wise I'll open a dozen models kits looking for that certain whatchamacallit, only to find a dozen other things I was looking for at some point earlier in time. Then when I get back the the bench , I'll realize I never looked for the item I went looking for in the 1st place. So the process starts over , and over, and over

#25 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

When I was 12, I decided to take on the AMT '57 Ford. I had seen a couple other modelers do this kit up as a two-tone car, and I decided to take it up a notch by two-toning mine with candy paint. The plan was to use Pactra Candy Strawberry over silver on the roof and the body under the trim line. The rest of the car would be unpainted white styrene.

I don't recall having built a model with opening doors before then, but for some reason I was concerned that the door edges wouldn't get good paint coverage unless I sprayed them separately, so I masked the body off, then, despite the late hour, I decided to mask the doors as well. When that was done I mounted them on opposite sides of a piece of cardboard to reduce the chances of any overspray reaching them.

The good news: Hardware store masking tape, meticulously applied, did a great job and gave me a crisp line of separation.

The bad news: I had gotten a little too anxious to get paint on the thing and masked the high side of one door and the low side of the other. Sadly, the first light coats were already on it before it dawned on me. I didn't know of any safe paint removers back then, so the kit got put away & never got finished.

I wish some of those old Pactra colors were still available...

Edited by Monty, 26 March 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#26 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Going to the hobby shop and coming home with a kit you already have several of but forgotten about several times over .  

Nothing like having a few spare parts.   

#27 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Mas Cerveza's and then bidding $150 on a glue bomb, then realizing the next morning "what in the double hockey sticks did I do?" Actually it happened again this week. Bid $50 on a vintage Blue Beetle that is not all that nice.

#28 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Mas Cerveza's and then bidding $150 on a glue bomb, then realizing the next morning "what in the double hockey sticks did I do?" Actually it happened again this week. Bid $50 on a vintage Blue Beetle that is not all that nice.

Here's something that would help.  I put all my bids into esnipe.com.   Aside from being able to do 6 second snipes without being there,  you can modify or cancel your bids anytime prior to the actual snipe.  So if you do go a bit crazy and later relent, you can go in and cancel the bid.

#29 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Sounds good Tom.

#30 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

OK, almost done re-organizing the model room and with it, all the parts, tools, paints and such  ....... now i can't find a darn thing!!