very nice Mark!
1/16 Jewel T Altered
Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:49 PM
Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:42 AM
Looks great Mark, sorry I missed it in person last week, but will hopefully see more Thursday!
Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:37 PM
Getting some more tube into the frame and after I get the rear end mounts done I can locate the ladder bars and finish up the rest of the frame. Here is what I have done so far in furthering that process.
Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:24 PM
Here's a Paul Rowe torqueflite tranmission that I will be using with some minor clean-up mods for the Jewel T. Gotta figure out some more particulars cause Wes Ingram said that there was a clutch pedal that hangs from the hoop just behind the firewall. Sounds like a clutch-flite might be in order here and that will take some research on my end. Also, got the ladder bars done and now to get the attachment ears on the rear end so I can get more of the frame completed.
Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:29 AM
Jumping around with parts development, so here are the brake drum, backing plate and axle pieces. The drum and backing plate come from an old Pyro T-N-Tee kit. Acquired the kit in built condition, but the parts are re-storable and in this case a must have for the Jewel T build. I don't know if I will complete the brake shoe assembly yet as I haven't made a decision to display that much detail.
The parts as well as the bolt pattern are done to accommodate the Revell wheels. This wheel was used for testing and assembly of the parts created.
Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:48 AM
Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:52 AM
Just took a look at this thread for the first time. I'm on the edge of my seat now!!! Very nice build!!!
I can't wait to see more!!!
Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:49 PM
Got the opportunity to center the trans and engine today. I will need this in order to line up the drive train in the frame. Having the 1/16" (.062) aluminum rod running through the whole assembly will help to place it in the frame rails and make connection with the rear end.
These are still the master parts for the transmission and as soon as some more minor tweaks are complete then a mold will be made.
Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:37 PM
Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:44 PM
Just read this one. Looks great and can't wait to see more.
Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:14 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. I have a long way to go with this build and would like to have it done by June. I just did a Google search for how the Torqueflite is joined to a BBC and now I have to create an adapter plate. I realized there was a problem with the fit as the starter is on the wrong side for the Torqueflite and the adapter puts it on the correct side for the BBC. Important as the Jewel T employed the starter. Story told by owner is that when opponent would play games on the starting line, Jim Davis would shut off the engine, wait for them to stage, restart the engine and not suffer from over-heating.
Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:36 PM
You had better luck stripper the chrome plating and the bronze-ish undercoating off those Pyro brake drums than I did. Nice axle end stub detail.
Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:53 PM
Awesome progress Mark, watching this build with interest
Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:09 AM
Casey, Being that the parts had been glued together by a previous builder, I soaked them in brake fluid for about 5 days and this not only will help remove paint but also seems to crystalize the left over glue, making it easier to get glue parts separated. I was able to get the parts clean of the glue residue and then proceeded to soak them again in Bleach White for an additional 6 days. Bleach White will eliminate the chrome finish in just a few minutes, but it takes a much longer time to get the carrier film (brown stuff) off. I use these two processes all the time to save old builds as well as my regular builds.