#41 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Don't care for the rims, but the rest is sweet.

#42 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I actually kinda like the wheels...

#43 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

I dont like it at all. I will stick with my 2011, and probly trade it on a 2013 SS in the spring here. not a big fan of the tail lights.... actually hate them, as well as the skinny grill

As they say...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I like this a lot better. The front end doesn't look so "heavy" to me in this iteration...

#44 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Because GM Design wants those promos on the market.  Those promos would exist in some way, shape, or form with or without AMT/Round 2. 

Oh, I certainly get why AMT would have the CAD - just don't understand why Revell/Monogram wouldn't.

#45 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Oh, I certainly get why AMT would have the CAD - just don't understand why Revell/Monogram wouldn't.

Not AMT - DoAllSer.  They're just branded and sold as kits by Round2/AMT.  Designed and manufactured by DoAllSer, who also makes toys and die-casts for a multitude of other companies and brands.  DoAllSer owns and controls the tooling, not AMT, and, IMHO, that's the smartest way to do late-model cars nowadays.  Quick and easy curbsides/promos, and let the molding house do all the design work and retain ownership of the tooling.  That way you're not stuck with a worthless hunk of scrap metal 10 or 20 years from now when nobody cares about 2013 cars...    

#46 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

I actually kinda like the wheels...

Me too, but I'm not into that all black or flat black rims trend... Reminds me of our black winter steel rims. Either make them black with a  machined wheel face or paint them gunmetal. Then I'll be happy, I like the style! Otherwise I like the car quite a bit, a Z28 with a 500 hp 427... Who d'a thunk it?

#47 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Not AMT - DoAllSer.  They're just branded and sold as kits by Round2/AMT.  Designed and manufactured by DoAllSer, who also makes toys and die-casts for a multitude of other companies and brands.  DoAllSer owns and controls the tooling, not AMT, and, IMHO, that's the smartest way to do late-model cars nowadays.  Quick and easy curbsides/promos, and let the molding house do all the design work and retain ownership of the tooling.  That way you're not stuck with a worthless hunk of scrap metal 10 or 20 years from now when nobody cares about 2013 cars...    

Okay, sure.  But why wouldn't Revell have access to the same data, is what I'm getting at.  Would you know?  Did GM deny them for some reason?

#48 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

The original 1967 Z/28 was the basis for the 2014 which was a drivers car. Not a sticker package with T-tops.

Absolutely right... but everybody remembers the second-gen cars with the stickers, spats, and T-tops. Just like people are more likely to associate the car from Smokey and The Bandit with the black t-top 'screaming chicken' car rather than the white and Lucerne Blue-striped original when they hear the name 'Trans Am'.

#49 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,316 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I would expect DoAllSer/AMT to do a promo since they're actually receiving input and design information from GM, instead of Revell, which gets none.

When did they stop getting design info from GM?

#50 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Do they have to pay for it ?

Edited by martinfan5, 01 April 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#51 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

In general I like it.  I, personally, would prefer a 5 –star wheel more the BBS-like wheels.  I owned a 68 and 70 ½ Z/28 and enjoyed them immensely.  Some points on this car were interesting though compared to those two model years:

• It is a small block, but an LS-7 (427 cubic inch approx.) which would have been a big block COPO in the day instead of 302 ci that came on the 68 and 350 on the 70. 
  • Air conditioning optional.  The 68 and 70 could not have AC at all because of solid-lifter engines.  It wasn’t until 71-72 that the old LT-1 solid lifter was sold with AC and that was rare. 
  • Carbon Ceramic brakes.  Anybody see a Ferrari, Lambo or other exotic jacked for the wheels and brakes?
  • Manual transmission only. The 68 could have an M21 or M22 4-spedd tranny only.  The 70 had an option of a turbo-hydro.

I guess we’ll wait and see what the model manufacturers will do.  Brent Barrow made a good point about market for newer cars.  But I think we will see a mixture of old and new.  But there are a lot of newer cars that likely will never show up in plastic simply because not enough market or variant.

#52 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I guess we’ll wait and see what the model manufacturers will do.  Brent Barrow made a good point about market for newer cars.  But I think we will see a mixture of old and new.  But there are a lot of newer cars that likely will never show up in plastic simply because not enough market or variant.

For the time being that may be ture, but whats going to happen when the current baby boomer builders are gone and no longer buying kits of subjects that are hitting the 80 year old mark?,  are they just going to go out of business, or maybe realized its time to start tooling up newer subjects more then older stuff

Edited by martinfan5, 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#53 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

^"But why wouldn't Revell have access to the same data, is what I'm getting at. Would you know? Did GM deny them for some reason?"^

^"When did they stop getting design info from GM?"^

^"Do they have to pay for it ?"^

The DoAllSer/AMT promos are the exception, not the rule.  GM's marketing dept. wants promos of new Vettes and Camaros out there.  They used Revell for their promos from 1999 to 2008 (which included not just the usual Corvettes, but other classic GM cars that now make up the bulk of Revell's SnapTite line), then switched to DoAllSer/AMT.  GM's really the one footing the bill for these.  It's more a case of they want a plastic promo model on the market and Revell and AMT have the connections to get it done. As for why the switch from Revell to DoAllSer/AMT, I can't answer that.  Probably a lowest bidder type of thing. Before 99 it was MPC for many years (since early 70's?) through all the mergers and name changes winding up, of course, as AMT/Ertl.         

Any full-detail glue kits that Revell or AMT want to make are a different story, they'd have to find a 1:1 and go measure and photograph it, just like it was an old classic.  It's possible that they might be allowed some access to design information or to come to the factory and measure a 1:1 on the line, but they'd have to come get it on their own dime and their own time... 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 01 April 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#54 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

For the time being that may be ture, but whats going to happen when the current baby boomer builders are gone and no longer buying kits of subjects that are hitting the 80 year old mark?,  are they just going to go out of business, or maybe realized its time to start tooling up newer subjects more then older stuff

Right, and even now, I can't imagine there is much interest in the '20s-50s subjects amongst modelers my age (early 40s) and younger...alas, there aren't many modelers my age and younger compared to the Baby Boomers.   I'd love to see a lot more subjects of the current century tooled up..

Seems very short-sighted for model companies to focus too much on the older subjects, IMO.

Edited by Rob Hall, 01 April 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#55 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Right, and even now, I can't imagine there is much interest in the '20s-50s subjects amongst modelers my age (early 40s) and younger...alas, there aren't many modelers my age and younger compared to the Baby Boomers.   I'd love to see a lot more subjects of the current century tooled up..

Seems very short-sighted for model companies to focus too much on the older subjects, IMO.

Same here, and I am in my 30s,  I have nothing against those subjects, but hello, its 2013.

I will continue to support the Japanese model companys more then I will Revell/AMT , why , because they tool up subjects that are either current, or within the last decade.

#56 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sure, but why spend money on kits of current cars when they don't sell very well now, and they probabaly will never be classics 20 years from now?  if they turn into desirable classics then, make a kit then. Witness Revell's all-new Fox Mustang which I'm sure will spawn several variations after the first '91 5.0 LX notch-back hits the shelves in a couple months.  They'll have a winner on their hands with that kit, I'm sure. 

You dance with who brung you, as we say where I grew up. Make today's models for those who are buying models today, and we'll cross that bridge when get there.   

When folks say that they should make more current cars, this is how it comes across to me, as someone who has spent the past decade in the model business -

"Hey Revell and AMT - remember that time you almost went out of business, and that other time you almost went out of business, and that other, other time you almost went out of business?  We want you to go back to making he same decisions the way you were that time you almost went out of business and make models like the ones that you made that time you almost went out of business" 

I'm 35, and I have nearly 0 interest in any American road-going car from later than 1971. My main focus is in 50's and 60's rods, customs, and gassers, with some interest in factory-stock cars of that era as well. 

There's a declining interest in current cars among younger people, and there is a corresponding decline in model kits of current cars to go along with it.  But period hot rods, customs, gassers, rat-rods, suede-rods, what-ever you want to call them are generating much more interest with folks my age and younger.  If we're going to get younger folks interested in model cars, we first have to get them interested in cars, then give them models of the cars they are interested in. 

But why would anybody under 40 be interested in Corvettes or Camaros?  When's the last time folks under 40 could afford to buy the real deals?  It's the so-called AARP crowd that I see having more interest in Vettes and Camaros nowadays, Vettes especially...       

Edited by Brett Barrow, 01 April 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#57 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm 35, and I have nearly 0 interest in any American road-going car from later than 1971. My main focus is in 50's and 60's rods, customs, and gassers, with some interest in factory-stock cars of that era as well. 

I doubt if your view is the norm...    I would suspect most car enthusiasts your age would be interested in many cars of the last 20 years..cars they grew up around, not their grandpa's cars....certainly the car enthusiasts I know in real life my age and younger are interested in cars of the modern era.   Not everyone is stuck in the past or has their head in the sand.

Edited by Rob Hall, 01 April 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#58 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

The DoAllSer/AMT promos are the exception, not the rule.  GM's marketing dept. wants promos of new Vettes and Camaros out there.  They used Revell for their promos from 1999 to 2008 (which included not just the usual Corvettes, but other classic GM cars that now make up the bulk of Revell's SnapTite line), then switched to DoAllSer/AMT.  GM's really the one footing the bill for these.  It's more a case of they want a plastic promo model on the market and Revell and AMT have the connections to get it done. As for why the switch from Revell to DoAllSer/AMT, I can't answer that.  Probably a lowest bidder type of thing. Before 99 it was MPC for many years (since early 70's?) through all the mergers and name changes winding up, of course, as AMT/Ertl.         

Any full-detail glue kits that Revell or AMT want to make are a different story, they'd have to find a 1:1 and go measure and photograph it, just like it was an old classic.  It's possible that they might be allowed some access to design information or to come to the factory and measure a 1:1 on the line, but they'd have to come get it on their own dime and their own time... 

Ah, alright then.

That explains it. A number of things actually, so thank you.  B)

#59 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Same here, and I am in my 30s,  I have nothing against those subjects, but hello, its 2013.

I will continue to support the Japanese model companys more then I will Revell/AMT , why , because they tool up subjects that are either current, or within the last decade.

I don't disagree with you.  I brought this up to Revell the last time I met them.  I suggested models such as newer BMW sedans, new Impala SS, modern pickup trucks (especially HD types), Cadillac CTS-V (including wagon and Crossover), modern SUV/COV's.

They won't NOT consider them, but only have so much R&D and tooling dollars in any year.  And there is that 50,000 kits to sell to break even.  The die cast market and actual buyer demographics contribute to final decisions.  Along with those of us who favor selected genres. 

A lot of people were stroked by the recent 50 Olds and 57 Ford.  None of those two "float my boat" and I passed on them.  I still feel good about the fact that a segment of the market had a need fulfilled with quality product.  Meanwhile, I'm still hoping for 1/24-5 Ferrari FF, modern BMW M5, Modern BMW M3,  Porsche Cayenne, Maserati Quatroporte, etc.  And I also build older cars, as well.

Revell is only around 11 miles from my home.  Almost in the back yard.  At the recent Ferrari Expo held in Hinsdale Illinois there was a bunch of modern model cars, some racing and some street (mainly Ferraris).  A Revell leader was there and I and a couple of others brought up, in our opinion, the "crying need" for these types of cars, even if some of them are curbside.

Fujimi and Aoshima do a large majority of their 1/24 scale models as curbside, or semi-curside (engine inserts).  Here is what I did to a curbside Fujimi M5 about 20 years ago:

My92BMWM5.jpg

A lot modern engines are hidden by those ubiquitous plastic covers to hide all the electronics.  Admitedly, I like detailing, but am currently building a Fujimi Fiat Abart 695 Ferrari Tributo.  Converting it to US spec and detailing the interior is still a lot of fun.

I just suggest we continue to let our voices be heard and hope that some of the newer models we would like to see come to fruition.  Don't lose faith!

Edited by Exotics_Builder, 01 April 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#60 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Brett, I mean no disrespect to you so dont take it that way ;)  but you are coming off like you are speaking for our age group (gen x)  unless you have some hard fast proof, I am calling BS, just because a small percentage feels that way, does not mean everyone does, I know I sure as hell dont feel that way.   Its this one sided view on things that is so upsetting, and the reply of , well I thats how I feel and I am speaking for everyone else

Revell can keep their head in the sand and ignoring all the under the age of 50 builders, and my hobby money will continue to go to Japan, I am not asking for every kit to be of something current, but least a few current things(80's to now) would nice, and I don't mean reissue stuff either,  I would be ok with those to at this point .

Gerry, well least they are open to newer subjects, and believe you me, I do understand it all cost money, and they are going to spend the money on subjects that will return a profit for them, but one day, and I think it will be in the next 20 years or so that their cash cow of buyers is going to run dry, and then what? 

Edited by martinfan5, 01 April 2013 - 12:23 PM.