Missing Photobucket albums

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Greg,  You are right, I am the problem, just don't know what I am doing.  I have never used the bulk up-loader and I've never used albums, only once. 

Thanks again Harry, I guess I will just have to go to Photobucket and try a few times. I think I have been in too much of a hurry on their site, just wanting to get back to the forum with minimal time spent.  I'll work on it, thanks again.

Like Harry said.....you will get it. PB is really not all that hard or bad. They have been busy the last 3 months, listening and MOST real issues are non issues now. The old page style was kept, bulk uploader is better ...finally!

Think of PB as a bunch of books, with pictures in them

#22 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Could be worse you could be stuck in the rudderless inflatable dinghy that is Fotki where we've been missing a random selection of photos (tends to be about 1/3rd of you're total images for everyone) since after Sandy hit.

Last I heard they were building a server farm in Estonia if all places because they couldn't afford the post-Sandy rent in NYC.

The opinions all seem to side with the idea that the photos are all gone, and they're just leading people on in hopes the re-up their accounts so they can offload their photos when they come back.

Edited by niteowl7710, 29 March 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#23 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think I've got mine pretty well sorted into albums and updated now.  All the new one's I will put in albums from now on, I think that was part of my problem  they were all in one bucket.  (pun intended)   I like the NEW Photobucket now, best part it's still free for limited use.  Who knows what that means but, I did find out I had only used about 24%.  Question now is, is it worth it to go back to all your posts to check and see if your pictures are there?  I find that most of the time people quit commenting on mine after about a week.  I never have checked how many views there are after that.  Or should I go back just a little and check?  I spent one entire evening on photobucket I think.

Edited by rmvw guy, 31 March 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#24 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I see a lot of you referring to "my photos".

Do you not realise that once you have uploaded an image to Photobucket it then belongs to them?

#25 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,384 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I see a lot of you referring to "my photos".

Do you not realise that once you have uploaded an image to Photobucket it then belongs to them?

INCORECT!!!

This is from Photo Buckets Terms of use page, this is the first sentence within the content and privacy paragraph

Content & Privacy

You retain all your rights to any Content you submit, upload or display on or while using Photobucket. This means that you own all the Content you post and are responsible for its settings:

http://photobucket.com/terms

Now, I am not one those legal persons :lol: , but that says that your photos remain yours

Edited by martinfan5, 31 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#26 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Yes, but it also says in the third bullet after the line you quoted;

"When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, stream, post publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose."

So combine those 2 quotes and what do you have?

To me it says that they can do what they want with your pictures (including making money) but if there are any comebacks from that use then you will be getting the subpoenas not them...

#27 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

To me it says that they can do what they want with your pictures (including making money)...

That is correct. If a viewer likes your photo, they can order merchandise from the photo hosting site with your photo on it; mugs, t-shirts, magnets, etc.

My GF is a dog breeder and takes wonderful photos. Her photos of her dogs from her photo hosting site started showing up on merchandise being sold by a vendor at dog shows and she had no recourse to stop it. Yes, she still owned the rights to her photos but her photo site also has been given permission, per her membership, to do whatever they want with them, including selling them commercially.

#28 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Yes, but it also says in the third bullet after the line you quoted;

"When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, stream, post publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose."

So combine those 2 quotes and what do you have?

To me it says that they can do what they want with your pictures (including making money) but if there are any comebacks from that use then you will be getting the subpoenas not them...

Ahh, I missed that part, my mistake

#29 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,763 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

If you want your images to remain your images, set your albums to "Private."

#30 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

If you want your images to remain your images, set your albums to "Private."

People can still copy them when they're posted in places like here on the forum, they just can't directly view them in your album.

#31 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

People can still copy them when they're posted in places like here on the forum, they just can't directly view them in your album.

Correct, but that will stop people from buying prints or whatever else with your photos , I think thats what Harry was saying make your albums private for

#32 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,763 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Correct, but that will stop people from buying prints or whatever else with your photos , I think thats what Harry was saying make your albums private for

Right. Setting your albums to private keeps the images only in your albums, the public can't see them (or steal them!).

Of course, once you post an image on a public forum or anywhere else online that's open to public viewing, you're basically giving everyone access to your image. But at least by having your albums private, you can control which images you allow the world to see (and potentially save onto their own computer).

#33 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

So if you don't want anyone to use YOUR image...WATERMARK IT!!...takes a second or two in PS or any editor, and rarely will anyone remove a watermark on a copyrighted image, use it and not be caught...

#34 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

So if you don't want anyone to use YOUR image...WATERMARK IT!!...takes a second or two in PS or any editor, and rarely will anyone remove a watermark on a copyrighted image, use it and not be caught...

How do you go about doing water marks, or is that to much to put in a reply here?

I do have PS and might just do that

Edited by martinfan5, 01 April 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#35 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

How do you go about doing water marks, or is that to much to put in a reply here?

I do have PS and might just do that

with PS you can make a text file or make it a brush..Whatever way you do it, add it to a layer over your image..to get the look, reduce the layers opacity. This tut will give you some ideas...I use white letters, fancy font..., and put them in low contrast parts to make them harder to remove....(there are lots of tuts to remove watermarks! :( )

http://www.photoshop...ects/copyright/

#36 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

with PS you can make a text file or make it a brush..Whatever way you do it, add it to a layer over your image..to get the look, reduce the layers opacity. This tut will give you some ideas...I use white letters, fancy font..., and put them in low contrast parts to make them harder to remove....(there are lots of tuts to remove watermarks! :( )

http://www.photoshop...ects/copyright/

Thank you Greg,  yes I know I could of googled it , I was being lazy :lol:

#37 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Ahh, I missed that part, my mistake

No worries.  That's what they want you to do.