So what's the real story on "Reverse Engineering" ?

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've heard this term used over the last few years and the idea seems really great to bring back some of those lost treasures we keep talking about, lost in "The Fire" and "The Train Wreck" et. al.

So what's going on? I've heard both yes it was, and no it wasn't, on the Carl Casper Undertaker Dragster. :huh:

$(KGrHqFHJBcE-d(-K6qTBPyuKoo!m!~~60_35.J

#2 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I believe we just saw an example of RE, when Polar reverse engineered the General Lee to the Street Charger and then back to it's original form of the Petty Charger. It involves taking an existing kit and engineering a new or refurbished mold to resurrect a section that was too damaged or re-engineered too many times.

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 28 March 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#3 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I believe "Reverse Engineering" is where an existing old kit is used to copy to cut new molds.

#4 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

reverse engineering is what the soviets did with a B29 superfortress, they disassembled it then copied each part and made their own version.

Edited by blunc, 28 March 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#5 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Reverse engineerering is what our military did with Velcro, Electronics, and Carbon Fiber found in the recovered Roswell UFO. ;)

#6 darquewanderer

darquewanderer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I believe we just saw an example of RE, when Polar reverse engineered the General Lee to the Street Charger and then back to it's original form of the Petty Charger. It involves taking an existing kit and engineering a new or refurbished mold to resurrect a section that was too damaged or re-engineered too many times.

Actually that's not entirely true. The Dukes of Hazzard ran around in a second generation '69 Dodge Charger. The other is a third generation '72 Charger base line car, as it still had the '71 C panels, but with '72 SE grille and taillights (incorrect for the '72 base). Originally offered as a Petty and a, IIRC, Bobby Baker clear-bodied NASCAR full race cars that they ran in late '72 and '73. Later sold as a molded in black Super Charger with a blown 426. All had the full NASCAR race suspension. In the latest offerings the kits are being issued in reverse order from the originals. The only changes between the two '72s bodies was the type of plastic, clear vs. colored. The only RE involved was for the interior, engine (components), tires and rims, some of which may have come from other kits altogether. The Dukes of Hazzard '69 borrowed the chassis and engine from the '72 race version and has never been issued in any other form.

For a better example of RE look at the Dave Burkett i.e. AMT/ Model King 1959 Chrysler Imperial. The body molds were found, but no chrome molds. Burkett paid to reverse engineer the new mold from an original issue chrome tree. One reason the curb-side kits were so expensive.

#7 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

It is the process of taking a part and using it as your blueprint. You would just measure that part and make your prints from it.  

#8 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

DSCF0008-2.jpg

I think James has the right idea. My point is that is not reverse engineering , nothing more than opening or closing molds to come up with the desired parts. and by the way, I had a heck of a time gettin' that flag offin the roof o' my car.

#9 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

It is the process of taking a part and using it as your blueprint. You would just measure that part and make your prints from it.  

That's how I understand it. Now, has this ever been done?

#10 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

James may have the right idea as far as reverse engineering, but he sure doesn't know Chargers! :lol: 

#11 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

Exactly. Using a finished product or part, taking measurements off it, and using the measurements and info to create the tooling to recreate that product or part. The "bad guys" do it all the time with captured military equipment.

#12 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Every day .

As a model car kit , now that's a good question. 

They say in the history of airplanes some of the early kits were copies. 

#13 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

reverse engineering is what the soviets did with a B29 superfortress, they disassembled it then copied each part and made their own version.

That's what I always think of when I hear the term. Joke was on the Ruskies though. By the time they got it all sorted out and copies built, they were obsolete in the fast changing post war world of aircraft. (Nelson Muntz anybody?)

#14 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

The Chinese are masters at "reverse engineering".  Everything from soup to nuts. We design it and engineer it, they copy it, mass produce it, export it back to the US and sell if for cheaper and put the original guy out of business.

#15 Monte's Motors

Monte's Motors

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Boarman

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

We capture alien UFOs and go backwards til we find something we can replicate. LOL Had to

#16 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Simple.  You start with a finished production piece, and use it to create a new production line. In the context of model kits, let's say a mold has been lost or irreversibly damaged and the original masters can't be found, but company X wants to make that kit again. They go on eBay and find a mint un-built example, then use it to create a new mold from that.  Or it could work with parts, too.  Find an original kit with the parts and use it as the master for new ones, instead of finding the original molds or masters.

#17 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Take a look at the Lindberg (ex-Palmer) '40 Ford coupe, then take a look at the AMT '40 Coupe. Looks like the Palmer folks re-engineered their kit from AMT's. In fact, if I recall correctly, quite a few parts actually interchange between the two, even though every part is different between the two kits.

#18 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Full Name:Don Mueller

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

• The lady across the cul de sac is from India. Her father is a gazillionare. Made his fortune reverse engineering and then producing auto parts. They're not ashamed of it.

• Some resin casters are reverse engineers.

Edited by wisdonm, 29 March 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#19 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Some resin casters are reverse engineers.

Our dirty little secret eh ? :o

#20 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

For a better example of RE look at the Dave Burkett i.e. AMT/ Model King 1959 Chrysler Imperial. The body molds were found, but no chrome molds. Burkett paid to reverse engineer the new mold from an original issue chrome tree. One reason the curb-side kits were so expensive.

I wonder if this wasn't done for the AMT '25 T Double kit because I'd heard for years that some molds were lost.