#61 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I myself find nothing wrong with a third party place like mentioned.  I always renew my stuff early so I have time to spare and dont have to worry about having it by a certain date.  Convenience to me.  Probably for the fact Ive lived here most my life and its what Im accustomed too.  Speaking of New Jersey I do LOVE the fact a civilian cant touch a gas pump in NJ its a state law they pump your gas for ya ha ha ha.

#62 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

They dropped emissions testing quite a few years ago here, I think the air quility is better now than it was then.

what I heard is that MN realized 60% of it's pullution omes from other states and canada

#63 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I almost had a cool 81' El Camino, would have been my first car. Good paint, bed, chassis, no rust, and in budget. But it wouldn't pass emissions. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

#64 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think going in at the end of the month was the big reason you had a long line. Of Course, Chicago is a big place and contains millions of automobiles. Here in Wisconsin, we have the same dilemma, the Milwaukee Metro area, which includes Milwaukee County Waukesha County, racine County and Kenosha County. Another nice thing they threw at us this year is they no longer have dedicated places to have your car tested. Now it's done at the dealer or mechanic shop. Tell me that isn't going to be fraught with fraudulent test data. The failure rate has already increased. Me thinks these places are selling expensive work and parts to a captive audience.

Has anybody in Wisconsin had experience with the new system yet? The idea sounds stupid beyond belief; the garage/mechanic/car dealer gets paid something like $2 to test the car and they are paid by a state contractor and not the state itself. The local paper had a story about great all the new testing places thought this new program would be and they were excited about all the business it would generate for them. Then a couple months later the same shops were complaining that the $2 they get paid doesn't cover all their costs. The old program seemed to run smoothly, so of course it had to be changed.

#65 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Speaking of New Jersey I do LOVE the fact a civilian cant touch a gas pump in NJ its a state law they pump your gas for ya ha ha ha.

I still grumble every time I pump gas in PA!  It took my wife like 2 years to learn how. The first year she refused and made me fill the car for her. Only now is she competent and confident that she does it without griping or proudly telling me she did it herself!  Both of my daughters calculate how to get to my house in PA and back to NJ without getting gas.

Gotta admit, I do enjoy sitting in the nice warm car and watching someone else out in the cold rain pumping the gas! And note that the gas prices in NJ are among the cheapest in the nation.

It is a big political issue. The two opposing sides are big oil companies (who want self service) and the Independent NJ Gasoline Dealers Association (who don't want self service).  In every state that they've turned over to self service, the big oil companies have refused to renew leases and took back the stations from the independent dealers. They turn the bays into a convenience store and can run the whole operation with one person inside the store.  They always would spread propaganda that gas will be cheaper with self service, but the price dips momentary and then is back up again.  So who wins?  Big oil!   I know a lot about this topic because my family owned a service station. 

#66 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Oregon has the no self service thing also...I remember the first vacation I took there being surprised when someone came out to put gas in my rental car, very strange after being used to self-serve for many years.

#67 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Oregon has the no self service thing also...I remember the first vacation I took there being surprised when someone came out to put gas in my rental car, very strange after being used to self-serve for many years.

Yes, Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that have full service.  With the economy in the toilet, it might be a good time to rethink it.  If the entire country went full service think about how many jobs would be created.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 31 March 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#68 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Yes, Colorado does the same thing.   Here in AZ my 2000 was about $120 for two years but my 2011 was about $650 for the first year, less the 2nd year...

I'm trying to wrestle my mind around having to pay $650 to register a vehicle for a year... I just can't do it. What is the logic behind this registration system? It obviously is not based on GVWR like most sane registration systems.

Thankfully NB does not have any sort of emissions testing whatsoever. Given that the entire provincial population is <1 million, I don't think it's something we'll ever have to worry about. :)

Every vehicle no matter the age has to have an annual vehicle inspection, checking for safety and mechanical compliance. Specifications are more strict for heavy vehicles and buses and taxis have to be inspected every six months. License plates stay with the vehicle however if you purchase a used vehicle that has a current registration but do not have an MVI within the last 30 days you have to give up the plates.

MVIs can be performed by any auto mechanic licensed with the province. The fellow that I get to do mine has a shop up the road from my parents's place; just a one-guy operation and he's not an advertised shop or anything. All auto-related services such as registration renewal, new plates, driver's license renewal is all done at a provincial service center that also handles all kinds of services.

Oh, and, ALL alcohol is sold through provincial stores. There are two types: mainline stores staffed entirely by provincial employees and agency stores in a local convenience store staffed by store employees. Agency stores have to be a minimum distance from a mainline store to get a license.

#69 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I live in Az also and have had my wagon since 92. It's been in the family since 82. Since it is older than the OBDII cars it has to go on the rollers and has the dyno test. I hat going because the test opperators never do the proper test. Since it is a 71 they do not have to do any equipment inspections. They are not even supposed to test the gas cap (that applies to 74 and newer in AZ). I do have to have a cap thou. So may times I have had ispectors fail me for the cap and I have even had an ispector try to fail me for not having an (evaporitive emmisions system) He was looking for the charcole canister but it was not factory for Plymouth in 71. I have a fuel vapor line that goes to the breather on the valve cover. Once I pointed that out to him and even showed him the vapor line. I usually wait till the end of the day and go through then. One of the stations is open till 7pm and I go in at 6:30-6:45. There is usually no line and by then they are tired and just want to go home. Since they are usually dead and have to open up the Dyno lane for me I get the experienced operator, sometimes.

#70 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yes, Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that have full service.  With the economy in the toilet, it might be a good time to rethink it.  If the entire country went full service think about how many jobs would be created.

Not sure those are the jobs that mean a whole lot to the economy :)

It's kind of annoying in Oregon and I have been reprimanded for pumping my own fuel.
Why not give people a job pushing my shopping cart? What about mowing my lawn - no more on your own, you must hire somebody to do it.

#71 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Oh, and, ALL alcohol is sold through provincial stores. There are two types: mainline stores staffed entirely by provincial employees and agency stores in a local convenience store staffed by store employees. Agency stores have to be a minimum distance from a mainline store to get a license.

Hey, I'm up in BC this week - no beer in the store??? In WA we passed legislation ALL alcohol available at retail stores! You can get beer, wine, whiskey at grocery store. Also, vehicle license fees used to based on vehicle value, so fees were $500-600. Voters reversed that and now it's about $60. It was a huge it to a lot of state funded services.

#72 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

It's kind of annoying in Oregon and I have been reprimanded for pumping my own fuel.

Back when this issue came up on another board, guys jumped in to defend their 'right' to pump their own gas.  It's a Tom Sawyer painting the fence thing to me!  

And that's how the big oil lobby got self service approved in states.  They put out propaganda telling folks that their state was infringing on their 'rights to pump their own fuel'.  Then the dumb as rocks contingent said, "OMG, the state is taking away my rights!" and voted for it.  

That's like voting to do away with waitresses in restaurants. Wouldn't you rather go in the kitchen to fetch your own food?