Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Porsche 935

• 1 month later...

got the strips and body work painted. it is what it is looking like right now. Got a long way to go still.

That is looking beautiful Mitchell! Would love to have this car in my stable. I myself am busy working on a long term project too......the 1/12 Protar F40. You are indeed lucky that your 935 has great detail because mine is an uphill battle for sure! Great job so far, I will be watching this intently.

a quick update, painted the red chin on the front body work. To answer a previous question, the body is molded in white. this is a reissue and overall the body is very good, only a slight wrapping close to the windshield area which is slowly massaged into the correct shape.

I did the 934 before this one, quite a few interesting change on the 935. 934 is more a street car converted to race car while 935 have parts that is built that much stronger. These kits are a gem, the engineering involved in it and it was done in the 70's.

More progress today, did the suspension and the front end of the car. Drilled the pedals instead of using the PE provided in the kit. Added seam welds at certain chassis location. Build the shock and workable steering system. And built the driveshafts, The driveshaft is an work of art, with moveable u-joints and real rubber guibos.

I built that kit when it was re-issued in 2006, this was before they re-issued it a few years later with PE.

I think I used every shade of testors metalizer on the engine and suspension. I kinda buggered up the decals and the red stripe, but I am still happy with it. I remember the multiple pieces of the wing being a bear to get smooth and it kept popping apart . The other thing that was a challenge was the window frames that attach to the doors. I was in the home stretch and rushed that part a little. Like you indicated above, the engine and the drivetrain are jewels .. the U joints and the rubber parts are functional. I always wondered what builders thought when this kit was released back in the 70s. That kit is a journey... have fun with it.

Fotki lost most of the pictures but here are a few

P7050045-vi.jpg

P7030041-vi.jpg

P8210054-vi.jpg

IMGP1599-vi.jpg

Edited by kurth

i bugger the decals a bit too, but since it is on already and claercoated already, can't do much about it. there are a few issues with the kit as you stated, the window frame on the car is fragile since I went through it with the 934. This version is the later version with the PE addition and the Cartograpgh decals. The decals are awesome, even when I sort of screwed it up already. There are more to come. thanks for sharing.

did the wiring on the fusebox on the dash board today. don't know if it is correct but just used my imagination with the wiring and the color. Also added the lenses for the gauges. There were only two lenses that fit the gauges in the kit so had to made 4 of the smaller gauges.

Calling Mr. Johnson!!!!

Mitchel, if you haven't seen Pete Johnson's build, you should do a quick search for it, or maybe he'll be Mr. Nice and send you some links.

You are doing a great job!

Hopefully you will get some of us inspired to start working on our own ones.

I have two to finish: Hawaiian Tropic (of course), and a street version of the car, 934? I think?

All black, or maybe my favorite Lambo Orange, or ???

Sorry, I degress.

I'm glad they reissued it with the photoetch.

Makes me wish I could get some more of them.

I am sure I saw Mr.Johnson's builds of the 935. There are some amazing work out there on this topic. At least now I got it on it's wheels, so at least I can see its stance. The motor and rest is still in pieces, those are the items that will take forever.The PE and Cartograph decals made it a much better kit. But I did omitted a few PE pieces up to now since I felt the original molding is much better than the PE, such as the radiators.

Been hard trying to get detail picture of this variant of the 935. Most research came up with the later version Kremer K3. Most pictures that I found was on the car 4 which was on the auction block recently. really hard to find anything on car 1 and 3 which this kit is based on. But this is what make it fun.

Crazygirl, this is a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935.

Edited by mitchell

a bit more progress, got the hood finally cleared and polished. Weather had been lousy for the last few week and always trying to find a window to spray. The strip on the hood and the roof is buggered up a bit and it's too late to do anything about it. Oh well.

post-2944-0-03786300-1369359474_thumb.jp

got the hood polished and the number decal on. Also mounted the PE hood pin brackets on. The way Tamiya did it is to glue another pin shape piece on the bracket but I think that look a bit too toyish, so I drilled the brackets and going to scratch build some post for the pins.

a little bit more progress. Not spending that much time on this one lately since I got a few other 1/24 scale that I am building at the same time. But finally the exterior is together. Painted the tail and the black part of the tails, just missing the wing and some decals.