Gregg

da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Calling Mr. Johnson!!!!

Mitchel, if you haven't seen Pete Johnson's build, you should do a quick search for it, or maybe he'll be Mr. Nice and send you some links.

You are doing a great job!

Hopefully you will get some of us inspired to start working on our own ones.

I have two to finish: Hawaiian Tropic (of course), and a street version of the car, 934? I think?

All black, or maybe my favorite Lambo Orange, or ???

Sorry, I degress.

I'm glad they reissued it with the photoetch.

Makes me wish I could get some more of them.

#22 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell Huang

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I am sure I saw Mr.Johnson's builds of the 935. There are some amazing work out there on this topic. At least now I got it on it's wheels, so at least I can see its stance. The motor and rest is still in pieces, those are the items that will take forever.The PE and Cartograph decals made it a much better kit. But I did omitted a few PE pieces up to now since I felt the original molding is much better than the PE, such as the radiators.

Been hard trying to get detail picture of this variant of the 935. Most research came up with the later version Kremer K3. Most pictures that I found was on the car 4 which was on the auction block recently. really hard to find anything on car 1 and 3 which this kit is based on. But this is what make it fun.

Crazygirl, this is a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935.

Edited by mitchell, 22 May 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#23 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

a bit more progress, got the hood finally cleared and polished. Weather had been lousy for the last few week and always trying to find a window to spray. The strip on the hood and the roof is buggered up a bit and it's too late to do anything about it. Oh well.

Attached Files

#24 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

got the hood polished and the number decal on. Also mounted the PE hood pin brackets on. The way Tamiya did it is to glue another pin shape piece on the bracket but I think that look a bit too toyish, so I drilled the brackets and going to scratch build some post for the pins.

#25 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

a little bit more progress. Not spending that much time on this one lately since I got a few other 1/24 scale that I am building at the same time. But finally the exterior is together. Painted the tail and the black part of the tails, just missing the wing and some decals.

#26 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

after the body is done, took a break on this one and finished a few 1/24 scale cars in the meantime. But sooner or later, have tp finish this project so I got to the engine slowly. Here is a look at the engine up to today. Still have a lot to do on it and after mating it to the chassis. but at least now the main body of the engine is done.

#27 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

I am sure I saw Mr.Johnson's builds of the 935. There are some amazing work out there on this topic. At least now I got it on it's wheels, so at least I can see its stance. The motor and rest is still in pieces, those are the items that will take forever.The PE and Cartograph decals made it a much better kit. But I did omitted a few PE pieces up to now since I felt the original molding is much better than the PE, such as the radiators.

Been hard trying to get detail picture of this variant of the 935. Most research came up with the later version Kremer K3. Most pictures that I found was on the car 4 which was on the auction block recently. really hard to find anything on car 1 and 3 which this kit is based on. But this is what make it fun.

Crazygirl, this is a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935.

Mitchel-
Great build. I had a great time with mine and would be happy to forward any photos my build that you may want. I am not one to hijack somebody else's thread so unless you ok it I will not post photos of my build. Some of these parts do not look stock such as the front shocks. Are you using an accessory kit other than Tamiya?

#28 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi Pete, i would be really happy if you would share your picture in this thread. On this kit, just building it box stock since it's really difficult to find any aftermarket part for the 935 now. Just going to add a lot of detailing through the research that I have on hand. This kit is the later model that came with Tamiya's own PE parts. Not much PE other than some small details like fuel neck, rotor and seat belts. Shock is stock from the kit.

#29 123yokomo

123yokomo

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Full Name:Robert bearden

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

great project you got there coming together really good!

#30 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi Pete, i would be really happy if you would share your picture in this thread. On this kit, just building it box stock since it's really difficult to find any aftermarket part for the 935 now. Just going to add a lot of detailing through the research that I have on hand. This kit is the later model that came with Tamiya's own PE parts. Not much PE other than some small details like fuel neck, rotor and seat belts. Shock is stock from the kit.

My build started with the Scale Motorsport detail set and just got silly from there. It took me three years to complete it. Since you are up going to do the engine next I will throw some photos of that up first. One of the real problems with the Porsche model is that if you do a killer job most of the work is hidden by the body work. To counter this, I cut up a separate chassis and made it as a display and detailed the bottom of engine that was in the car.

Here is the cutup chassis

enginestand_zps180ad5a0.jpg

finished engine

spareengine.jpg
engine.jpg

This is my favorite shot of the whole build.

spareengine2.jpg
spareenginebottom.jpg

I'll Throw up some more tomorrow.

#31 Zeekodadi

Zeekodadi

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Zee Kodadi

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

great job so far i just got one of these kits too. im looking foreword to building it

#32 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

tks for sharing Pete. I totally understand what you meant about the motor on a Porsche, it is hidden. But your pictures will help me in detailing the can't see piece. After this one is done, might have to do more wiring on the complete 934.

#33 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

got the coolers and the turbo mounted on tonight. Here it is. Almost got all the parts on, now it's time to start the detailing and the weathering process.

#34 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Here are some shots of the cockpit and front suspension. The SMS set added a lot to the basic kit.

cockpitfromleft.jpg

cockpithighleft.jpg

cockpithighright.jpg

Frontsuspension2.jpg

#35 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

got the coolers and the turbo mounted on tonight. Here it is. Almost got all the parts on, now it's time to start the detailing and the weathering process.

Very nice Mitchell! The weathering looks very nice. When I built mine I assumed that the air boxes and piping was plastic. I later found a photo that shows them as bare metal. They look like cast aluminum.

#36 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

thanks Pete, since the motor is going to be mounted in the car and the car will look like it was being used, therefore i did some weathering. hope the results can make it look more realistic.

#37 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

If the quarter wasn't there, would have no clue it was a model!  Fantastic work!!

#38 Zeekodadi

Zeekodadi

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Zee Kodadi

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

If the quarter wasn't there, would have no clue it was a model!  Fantastic work!!

ya man the colors are so sharp looks very real

#39 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ok, one last set and I'm done, after all this is Mitchell's thread not mine. 

These are the hood pins out of the SMS set.  You have to drill out the snap ring holes.

hoodpin.jpg

This is what they look like when they are mounted.

DSCN0068.jpg

Finally shots of the completed model

Leftfrontquarter-1.jpg

leftside-1.jpg

leftrear.jpg

#40 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

No problem, this thread is open to anyone interested in the building of the 935. Your pictures has been a great help for me. Almost got the motor done today, just some minor detailing needed. Then it's the wiring in the chassis. I can see that it would be a pain in the rear end getting everything done.