#41 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell Huang

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

got the trunk lay out today and also the dash on. Slowly progressing toward the end.

#42 flo9mr

flo9mr

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Full Name:Edward Flores

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

wow! thats all i have to say... unreal detail

#43 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

got the hoses and bunch of other small details done in the front end today. It's getting close.

#44 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

the work is absolutely inspiring. I have to ask why the rear chassis cross member had to be cut. Is that scale or a function of the SM upgrade???

thanks,

joe.

#45 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

the work is absolutely inspiring. I have to ask why the rear chassis cross member had to be cut. Is that scale or a function of the SM upgrade???

thanks,

joe.

Joe- I think you may be talking about my photo of the engine on a stand.  I cut the chassis cross member off just to show the work on the engine.  If I had left it in place it would have blocked the front of the engine and all the turned metal pieces would have been hidden.  There is a very slight fit issue with the turbo heat shield.  It needs to be very precise.  Hiding all that work just wasn't in the cards for the display.

#46 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

Joe- I think you may be talking about my photo of the engine on a stand.  I cut the chassis cross member off just to show the work on the engine.  If I had left it in place it would have blocked the front of the engine and all the turned metal pieces would have been hidden.  There is a very slight fit issue with the turbo heat shield.  It needs to be very precise.  Hiding all that work just wasn't in the cards for the display.

Thank you for the response. I agree, hiding that work would have been a shame.

Regards,

joe.

#47 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

mated the engine and the chassis together. It is basically done, just minor details to finish up. 4 years of struggle and laziness.

#48 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Very nice clean build! These large kits can be a struggle. I don't thing anyone who has not built a large scale kit knows.

#49 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Large kit has issues just like small kit has it's own set of limitation. But with these big scale, the details can really be brought out to shine.Just a few small details to be put on and then some tweaking then I will call this car done, Pulled out my 1/12 Rosso NSX already. that one is up next. And thinking of some crazy stuff to do it. In truth, this kit is so well engineered especially it came out in the late 70's.The few issues with this kit, the window frame engineering is sort of strange and difficult to put on. Some of the rubber pieces are weak (they tend to break into pieces), I disconnect the steering since it wouldn't last past a few turns. If the steering gears and linkage can be built in metal, then it will be amazing. Other than that, it is great kit.

#50 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

And on this kit, I bypass the screws on the body and the body can still be split easily. The screw on the body and the chassis is also a downfall of this kit.

#51 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

finishing up some small detail on this car. drill the adjustment slot for the aero end plates and some more detailing on the car itself.

#52 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

And on this kit, I bypass the screws on the body and the body can still be split easily. The screw on the body and the chassis is also a downfall of this kit.

I agree. Two big Phillips head screws in the side of the body are really not the way to go. I redrilled the holes to fit plastic rod. I used a short piece glued into the body and filled the holes on the outside of the body and then just press fit the body to the chassis. This came in very handy later on when I had to repair some damage at a contest. The body popped off very easily giving me good access.

#53 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I use the same method on this and the 934, like you said the body can be easily taken off and the rods are strong enough to support the weight of the body.

#54 mind-9

mind-9

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Dirk

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

Mitchell,

I,m not a big fan of Porsches :wacko: but the way you build this one is great.

Good feeling for detail ferry nice build.

Gr

Dirk

Edited by mind-9, 23 August 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#55 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Move this car to the underglass and big boyz section already. But one more thing I did to it is the tires. Scrubbed it up. Need to go shop for some aftermarket tire valves and glue some weight on the rims. This car is basically done.