#21 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

started to detail the engine bay. and engine (yes the manifolds are an orange, i tryed to make them look like the paint was burning off of them since thats how factory was) and started on the chassis.
modelcars_007_667297.jpg

Jason, I'm going to make a suggestion that will improve the look of your engine & help you with future builds as well. While I can certainly respect someone making their own distributor & adding spark plug wires, the size of the wires can have an effect on how accurate a given model looks. In your case, the plug wires look to be the size of battery cables. Here's a recent thread on determining the correct size of wiring to use for this: http://www.modelcars...56674&hl=wiring

In answer to your question about preassmbled cap & wire kits, a lot of us
use these guys. http://www.madmodeli...stributors.html

Again, I hope you'll take this as a helpful suggestion instead of seeing it as criticism.
I like how you're doing the exhaust manifolds and the engine bay. Can't wait to see it finished!

Edited by Monty, 05 April 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#22 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Carns

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yep, the brake set up is from the 68/69 dart. And this is my first try for the wire setup. I used phone wire. Cause I seen that site on here the other day when looking around. I seen the price of one and just decided to try to make my own. And I'm always open for criticism :) They are on the thick side though...

#23 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Yep, the brake set up is from the 68/69 dart. And this is my first try for the wire setup. I used phone wire. Cause I seen that site on here the other day when looking around. I seen the price of one and just decided to try to make my own. And I'm always open for criticism :) They are on the thick side though...

I'll give you this: at least you get how plug wires lay. I've seen a lot of "angry spider" wiring setups over the years.

#24 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

I can't remember the color code that my 68 was, but I think it was called frost green maybe. I've had a couple of 70 Darts and they where EB7 blue. This blue here is pretty close to it.

this GTX is looking killer, beautiful paint, love the same color interior. that was done alot more than people think.

side note - i had a 69 hemi runner that was F5 (frost green metalic) w/ 2 tone green interior, bench seat, 4 speed car. origional owner street raced, said he wanted something that was "unseeable" as he put it.

#25 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'll give you this: at least you get how plug wires lay. I've seen a lot of "angry spider" wiring setups over the years.

Thanks, but I think I am going to look around some more for thinner wire to use.

this GTX is looking killer, beautiful paint, love the same color interior. that was done alot more than people think.

side note - i had a 69 hemi runner that was F5 (frost green metalic) w/ 2 tone green interior, bench seat, 4 speed car. origional owner street raced, said he wanted something that was "unseeable" as he put it.

That's pretty much how my GTX was. But it was 440 auto with no options what so ever. Man steering, man brakes. AM radio, but it did have a light package. Some lady school teacher bought it brand new.

#26 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Nice progress and work so far..

#27 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Not much of an update. Did get a set of red lines for it, and put the rear end under it. Also took my wire setup off and got a prewired unit, waiting for it to get here. I used my wire for the breather and pvc valve. Need to get to town to get paint for the wheels soon. The int i got to put the shifter in it. Most likely will get further on it this weekend.

modelcars_005_610198.jpg

#28 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Couldn't resist setting the body on the chassis to see what it would look like.  Crappy picture, but oh well. Think it may look good once done.

modelcars_001_405578.jpg

#29 Mopar - D

Mopar - D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Slade

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Jason your GTX is coming together nicely and will look very sharp when you get er done.

#30 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

That'll be a very nice model when you're done.

Charlie Larkin

#31 pandamonium2112

pandamonium2112

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Toone

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Looks good so far. I agree with the exhaust color, nice realistic look. Good call on the interior (dull coat over gloss) gives off the semi gloss look. You can also shoot flat colors and put a clear gloss over it for a slightly different matt finish.

Answer to the distributor question: I get mine from www.detailmaster.com The kit comes with the capability of wiring for a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine. As far as wire goes. I have drilled out box stock distributors with a tiny bit and used motor winding wire from Radio Shack. It comes in a variety of colors and is a pretty good replica of a 6mm plug wire set.

Keep building. You got the basics down. Now just find all the tricks that the masters use.....

#32 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

very nice! kinda makes me wish i hadnt used mine as a chassis for my JoHan superbird body, but i just had to have a 1/25 superbird even if it meant giving up my first model(amt 67 mustang) and kitbashing.

#33 TFchronos

TFchronos

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Lewis Mason

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

Very nice and clean, can't wait to see it finished.

#34 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Was waiting in the distributor to come but isn't here yet. So i tried agian with one i wired up. I found beading wire at walmart. This is my first time going detailed like this on a small scale model. I've done it to a 1.8th scale before. But this was a challenge for me being this small. I'm not happy with the rad hose, and will probably redo it.

modelcars_001_843811.jpg

#35 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Almost there, need to finish a few things

modelcars_003_317169.jpg

#36 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Looks good.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575, 17 April 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#37 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

It's finished. Well mostly, i broke one of the shocks for the rear and couldn't find any to replace them so they just won't be on there. And couldn't find an acceptable pie pan for the aircleaner. And forgot the rearview mirror lol.  Over all i'm happy with the outcome of it. Sure it could be better, but for the quality of the kit and my first time going into detail like that under the hood, it don't look so bad. But here it is.

modelcars_001_817321.jpg

modelcars_002_490844.jpg

modelcars_003_62164.jpg

modelcars_005_283843.jpg

modelcars_007_707489.jpg

modelcars_006_466308.jpg

#38 Platerpants

Platerpants

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Full Name:Jake Bridges

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

very nice

#39 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Thanks. And since i'm pretty new here. Do i make a thread in the Underglass section? Although i'm thinking this maybe fine.

#40 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Your GTX looks sweet 'n' clean, and I like those wheels. You don't see them in 1:1 very often.