#1 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

I built this back around '84 or '85 in a spare room in the mobile home I lived in .  Every body thought I was crazy and I guess I was ,  but it sure was fun and my 9 yr old son loved it !   It was pretty tight in a 14 x 12 room so the whole thing slid back and forth on kind of a rail system made from 2 x 4's .  It's four lanes with four 20 volt transformers supplying the power .

And yes ,  there is a train too !

1_zpsd17e1a14.jpg

2_zpsf9a8d779.jpg

3_zps4181ef67.jpg

4_zpse993ae40.jpg

#2 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

6_zps26ef2171.jpg

7_zps35fac58b.jpg

8_zpsbfb6e651.jpg

9_zps5a30dde5.jpg

#3 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

10_zpse435003e.jpg

112_zps03036f30.jpg

#4 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Nice craftsmanship.  Is that a car track inside of a car track?  Two separate courses?

#5 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

Pretty complex set-up, it looks like a long term project.  I love the banking on the track.  I started a similar set up back around the same time.  My son, around 4 or  5 at the time, played King Kong and stepped on all my buildings destroying them. I soon gave up on the trains when all the kids wanted to do is race them and moved on to just HO racing.   Really mine was nothing like yours, i just wish it was.  :) 

#6 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Question I've always had about building a track... What do you use for the slot and the rails? is it just a notch in the wood surface that you lay strips of metal (brass or?) in for contact rails and a notch between them for the pin or is there stuff made specifically for that?

#7 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

That's pretty cool. Daytona with the option of running the oval or the road course. Neat idea.

#8 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Nice craftsmanship.  Is that a car track inside of a car track?  Two separate courses?

That's pretty cool. Daytona with the option of running the oval or the road course. Neat idea.

Yep ,  two separate course .  The outer two lanes ran the oval and the two inside lanes ran thru the infield and turns three and four .

This was back before the G-Force cars and such ,  I raced plain old AFX cars and it was a blast on the banking !  They were plenty fast with 20 volts on each car and they spun easily if you weren't careful .

I've got some pics of my cars ,  I'll dig them out and post some .

#9 CadillacPat

CadillacPat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Parker

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Very impressive setup.

I always say enginering the job is half the fiun.

I remember the first HO slot car tracks I saw around 1959 were in Hobby Shops where you could place your hand on the store window and the cars would run around the track.

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

#10 lazlow

lazlow

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Full Name:Lazlow Scarbrow

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

That was cool, lots of options of things to do.

laz

#11 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

So what became of it?

#12 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

So what became of it?

I was a single Dad raising my son and the next summer my girl friend moved in with us .  Nuff said ,

#13 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Sorry to hear about losing the track . My Dad and i tore ours down about 20 yrs ago .

packed all up in plastic totes for the future.

Michael

#14 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:Marcus E. Tucker

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Awesome layout on the set great job

#15 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

I like that layout (even the railroad :) ) and I can appreciate the time it must have taken to construct it.  Too bad you had to give it up :( .

I had an all-plastic Aurora setup in our basement when I was in my teens.  I started out in HO cars with the original, "vibrator" "Model Motoring" cars that were AC powered.  When I got my first DC powered Thunderjets for Christmas, we almost burned them out trying to run them with the AC transformer.  It wasn't too long before I had a couple of hop-up kits and a layout under my bed.  That didn't last too long; I relocated the track to the basement on a table where I had a lot of room; soon after, I moved it to our unused ping pong table.  Nice, long straight with a banked turn.  By then I was into the A-FX cars and heavily modified Thunderjets.  But I digress...

I do have all my original Aurora track and a lot of my old cars.  I hope to have them up and running again one day as long as I can find the room.

#16 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

I like that layout (even the railroad :) ) and I can appreciate the time it must have taken to construct it.  Too bad you had to give it up :( .

I had an all-plastic Aurora setup in our basement when I was in my teens.  I started out in HO cars with the original, "vibrator" "Model Motoring" cars that were AC powered.  When I got my first DC powered Thunderjets for Christmas, we almost burned them out trying to run them with the AC transformer.  It wasn't too long before I had a couple of hop-up kits and a layout under my bed.  That didn't last too long; I relocated the track to the basement on a table where I had a lot of room; soon after, I moved it to our unused ping pong table.  Nice, long straight with a banked turn.  By then I was into the A-FX cars and heavily modified Thunderjets.  But I digress...

I do have all my original Aurora track and a lot of my old cars.  I hope to have them up and running again one day as long as I can find the room.

It sounds like we grew up in  the same time zone and did the same things !   I got started with Thunderjets around '63 and never looked back !  I always had a track somewhere but really got serious when the AFX cars came out .  I always had a track set up in a spare room or in the basement and it always seemed to get bigger every time I redid it .

If you ever dig your stuff out ,  take a few photos .  It would be cool to see what you have .