#1 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

AMT 63 Corvette Prestige ,,good kit , bad kit , an ok kit ??  or what is the best kit for a 63 - 67,,, Thanks

#2 Jim Whalen

Jim Whalen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Full Name:Dr James Whalen

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hi,

The AMT corvettes are very basic - but the overall proportions of the bodies are very good.  I'm currently working on putting an AMT '63 body onto a Revell '67 chassis as all the C2 vettes had the same chassis (its an easy upgrade and gives way more detail).

The Revell '67 Corvette kit is nice and there are both convertible and coupe versions available (although it seems easier to find the convertible at the moment).

The Model Car Garage does photo-etch sets for Corvettes as well.

Cheers,

Jim

#3 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'm certainly not a Corvette expert but I would also suggest the Revell 67. These are state-of-the-art 90's tooling and better in many ways than the AMT 63.

BTW Revell made subtle corrections to the coupe which make it more accurate than the convertible.

(AMT's Prestige series are actually just re-issues of mid 60's kits with a lot of extra junk thrown in - eg, a large display base with pen-holder, some chrome foil etc. Not bad kits but but don't be mislead by the "prestige" moniker.)

$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8GrUBRLTSGVm3!~~60_12.J

#4 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Revell's '63 Vette snap kits aren't bad at all for what they are - a modern interpretation of a promo. If you just want a 63 to sit on the shelf I'd go for the Revell snapper all day, but the AMT 63 looks very good when built as a shelf model.

If you just want the best C2, regardless of year, it's the Revell 67, hands down.  If it's gotta be a 63, you could go either way IMO, Revell snap or AMT, or kitbash the AMT with Revell's 67 for a full-detail model. 

Note that there are ex-Monogram 1/24 66 and 65 Vettes out there, too, also in Revell boxes, but they don't share anything with the 1/25 67 and are nowhere near as good. 

#5 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

MVC002F-vi.jpgMVC003F-vi.jpgMVC006F-vi.jpgMVC007F1-vi.jpg

This is the '63 snap kit with a bit of customizing.  I like the kit a whole lot. The interior is stock and just detail painted.

#6 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Tom, that's the most "Nostalgic looking " build I've seen in a Long time !

#7 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

The old AMT 63 Corvette was updated each year to the next model. When the split window madness started back in the 70's AMT backdated it (sort of ) to a 63. It still had a 67 roof (althoe with the split window) and center back up light of the 67 for a few issues before it was finaly corrected. I don't know where the Prestage kit fits into that.

I'm building a 63 Corvette coupe at the moment, I'm using a Revell snap kit 63 with a Revell 67 chassis and a small block yet to be determined.

Edited by Craig Irwin, 05 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#8 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

well I bought the Revell 427 coupe , and I think I'll get the AMT 67 for the body