Model Cars Magazine Forum

my first set of tires

Those look great! I'm not much of a resin caster myself. I ocassionally do a few small parts that I need for a particular project. That's enough experience with resin to know that casting something like those tires is WAY harder than it looks!

Edited by mr moto

Hello. I like using the Alumilite high strength 3 rubber. I use it both for the 2 part molds and the tires(well, still working on the tires.LOL.) Also use the black dye for the tires. Seems as though I am currently out of the mold release though and waiting to get some. Did you do both the tire and wheel combo? Looks great.Fine job ya did!

Nice work there. The Micro Mark Tire Casting Rubber I use has a 24 hour cure time. I use a traditional two part mold to cast tires. I'd like to see a pic of your mold.

yeah i was trying to avoid that 16 hours was too long as it was the stuff im actually using is Smooth On/smooth cast 45D demolds in about 2 hours and is very paintable even though im using dye. i got run of the mill molds ill post a pic manana

yeah i was trying to avoid that 16 hours was too long as it was the stuff im actually using is Smooth On/smooth cast 45D demolds in about 2 hours and is very paintable even though im using dye. i got run of the mill molds ill post a pic manana

Is the smooth on version flexible and stretchy? My master is slightly smaller than the wheel itself so the tire can have a good solid fit. If worse comes to worse, I'll get the Micro Mark stuff and make two or three molds.

Nic

Is the smooth on version flexible and stretchy? My master is slightly smaller than the wheel itself so the tire can have a good solid fit. If worse comes to worse, I'll get the Micro Mark stuff and make two or three molds.

Nic

its semi rigid i wouldnt try stretching the tire over anything bigger than a 16 inch in scale those are 15s in the pic