#41 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,701 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

The ultra rare Coupe (less than 1200) is to my eye, what the 'Vette should have become. The bloated corpse Camaro, Vette and Mustang should have taken design cues from these cool and tasteful examples.

If I could build another car, it would be that Coupe with a 700HP LS-7.

Now that I think of it, I didn't even know they MADE a coupe. That's a cool little car. Kinda almost has some Cheetah going on. Hmmmm....700HP, eh ?

2009-Pontiac-Solstice-Coupe-front-top.jp

#42 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Now that I think of it, I didn't even know they MADE a coupe. That's a cool little car. Kinda almost has some Cheetah going on. Hmmmm....700HP, eh ?

Thanks for returning to subject in MY thread. The black Coupe in the link I provided looks even better.

Trying to get the knowledgeable model historians to speculate on why we have no kits of these two lost jems...

#43 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Remember "planned obsolescence?"

It never left...like most everything else these days, it's just not okay to call it what it actually is. The incessant march of marketed-and-perceived-as-necessary technology like XM, Bluetooth, MP-3 docks and GPS are every bit as much intended to make the older car as un-desirable as the yearly model-change of the '50s.

#44 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

My 2001 Nissan Maxima is still going strong at 294,000 on the OD,  engine and tranny never been rebuilt, no rust, everything works like it should , well ok, the truck light works when it wants to, and sometimes the steering wheel radio controls will stop working for a few mins here and there, mostly in cold weather.

Ace, lets add something to what you posted about Japanese cars from the 70's, while that is true, we need to be honest, there were just as many American cars on the road that were junk too,  are we forgetting the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega just to name a few.

This is a decent list of cars, both American and Import

http://chrisoncars.c...from-the-1970s/

#45 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for returning to subject in MY thread. The black Coupe in the link I provided looks even better.

Trying to get the knowledgeable model historians to speculate on why we have no kits of these two lost jems...

Sorry. It just seemed natural to go off in the direction of why it was killed as a symptom of a generally sick American car manufacturing business, and to rail at the perception that fun sports cars can't be built profitably in the States. Frankly, I always enjoyed seeing the Solstice on the street, because it gave me hope that GM might continue making interesting cars for niche markets.

I would think the low sales numbers of the 1:1s would be the answer to why no kit manufacturer invested the bucks to make models of it. If the real one is perceived as having a very small following, there's not really any incentive to make a model if profit and rapid ROI is the goal.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 06 April 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#46 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Ace, lets add something to what you posted about Japanese cars from the 70's, while that is true, we need to be honest, there were just as many American cars on the road that were junk too,  are we forgetting the Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega just to name a few.

I agree in principle, and I think that by the early-mid '70s American cars in general had lost a lot of the quality that had made the companies in the first place. And though I know practically nothing about the Solstice, I'm pretty sure it's at least a competent car, and I really think decent marketing and some well-thought-out development could have made it profitable enough to continue.

I have seen exactly one Solstice ad. Anyone else?

#47 timc

timc

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Cassady

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Buick is still here because when you turn 62 or 65,whatever the retirement age is,they issue you a gold buick four door and the right to drive 25 mph under the posted speed limit.

I might step on some toes here. 90% of the time when there is a line of traffic moving slow there is a gold buick leading the way with an elderly driver at the wheel.

Pay attention the next time you are out and about and you'll see what I'm sayin.

Edited by timc, 06 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#48 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I agree in principle, and I think that by the early-mid '70s American cars in general had lost a lot of the quality that had made the companies in the first place. And though I know practically nothing about the Solstice, I'm pretty sure it's at least a competent car, and I really think decent marketing and some well-thought-out development could have made it profitable enough to continue.

I have seen exactly one Solstice ad. Anyone else?

I think the 70s for the automobile world as whole was just a junk decade :lol:

I think I have seen one , maybe two, does seeing one at a used car lot count as three? :lol:

#49 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Buick is still here because when you turn 62 or 65,whatever the retirement age is,they issue you a gold buick four door and the right to drive 25 mph under the posted speed limit.
I might step on some toes here. 90% of the time when there is a line of traffic moving slow there is a gold buick leading the way with an elderly driver at the wheel.
Pay attention the next time you are out and about and you'll see what I'm sayin.

It's just not Buicks here, seen plenty of Toyota (mainly Camry and Prius owners) as well as Honda Accord and stock Civic owners.

#50 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

I was sincerely hoping for a glue kit of a Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky ever since they came out in '06/'07. Now with both divisions gone it's likely we'll never see one. :(

The Sky could have been the closest thing to an "affordable" 'Vette that we've ever had. It's interesting that GM didn't let Chevrolet use that car as an alternative sports car for Chevy, and let the Corvette have its own standalone dealers.

Not sure how that would have worked, but the Corvette has gotten so danged expensive, it looks out of place with the rest of the Chevrolet lineup price wise.

#51 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

It appears that the discussion on these two cars is done and that's all I'll dig up about them and models of them.

Everyone's take on the history of car manufacturing, it's motives and downfall, can be continued in a different thread.

Thanks to those that shed light on the subject cars and models.