#61 ScaleDale

ScaleDale

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Full Name:Dale Shearon

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I get sucked into building off the wall projects like a '56 Thunderbird with a 815 Mountain Motor and get paranoid that I will mess something up and hunt the 'net for a spare kit or two. I just ordered two 64 Fairlanes so I can build a Super Stock Thunderbolt. The kit bash for the T-bird has consumed around 10 kits (and don't ask about my aftermarket bill...).

That's my story, at least.

Dale

#62 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:Marcus E. Tucker

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

It doesn't pay for me to have a stash my grandkids are always finding them even when they aren't in the house. They have a nose for plastic.lol

#63 Bill Eh?

Bill Eh?

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allen

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

It doesn't pay for me to have a stash my grandkids are always finding them even when they aren't in the house. They have a nose for plastic.lol

Marcus, if they have a nose for plastic, then you have taught them well.

#64 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm gathering for the afterlife. The way I figure it, if I finish one every other month, I'm still good for about 20 years "up yonder"

#65 Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Lacy

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

I build hot rods and most of them are as far from "out of the box" as it gets.

I stash kits that are proven to be good parts donors. I try to keep the quantity within reason because I honestly don't want hundreds of kit boxes stacked all over. Typically, as I use up the parts I wanted the kit for I will turn around and sell what is left of the kit for a few bucks.

I don't buy kits for collector value. I'm just as happy to pull parts out of a 60's vintage mint kit as one I bought from the hobby shop today. It's only plastic.

#66 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

You can't build it if you don't have it. Simple, really. B)

#67 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,846 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

I spent last evening down in the model vault doing some sorting. Since I moved, I've had all my kits in kit cases. When I did the move the cases were filled kinda random since I thought they'd be unpacked quickly.  Recently I sorted them into cases by car make.  Last evening I sorted the Chevy and Ford boxes down to eras.  That's when I found that I had 6 or more of many kits.  I took several of each kit and put them aside to sell. I took the sealed kits first since they'd sell better and I plan on building what I have.  I wound up with a huge pile of kits to sell.

Then I went upstairs to watch a bit of TV. That's when my mind started to wander as to what I would do with those kits. By evenings end I came up with enough ideas to justify keeping them all!   

#68 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

I "get it" Tom. In my stash there are probably 50 I wont ever build. Using ebay prices, thats at least a cool $500 in my pocket. Then like you, I start to think. my "ebay pile" gets reduced to less that a half dozen. 

#69 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

While I cannot speak for others, in my instance it is partially due to trying to fill a category. An an example, it has been a goal for me to obtain every kit or decal variant for IMSA GTP, and GTO class race cars. I also have done a similar thing with SCCA club racing subjects, collecting models that could be used in 1:1 builds, as well as generic builds. And while I've been at it, Trans Am subjects, both vintage and more recent. 

Also, the IMSA cars, many were only done in resin, thus making them relatively rare. Consequently, when I see one come up on evilbay, it gets followed and bid on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

#70 Gramps2u

Gramps2u

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Hitchcock

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Its my personal time capsule... I figure its going to take a LOT of time ( Millennium) to get all of those kits built. Either that or leave my 3 Grandsons one heck of a collection to have a blast with! Which ever  demise comes first.

#71 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Part sickness sometimes, part thrill of the chase for the collection. 90% of the time only buy what I would like to build , the other 10% is for trade bait if the price is good.  

Now that the kit prices have doubled in the last 15 years or so, it has become an investment. LOL  

#72 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

While I cannot speak for others, in my instance it is partially due to trying to fill a category. An an example, it has been a goal for me to obtain every kit or decal variant for IMSA GTP, and GTO class race cars. I also have done a similar thing with SCCA club racing subjects, collecting models that could be used in 1:1 builds, as well as generic builds. And while I've been at it, Trans Am subjects, both vintage and more recent. 

Also, the IMSA cars, many were only done in resin, thus making them relatively rare. Consequently, when I see one come up on evilbay, it gets followed and bid on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm doing something similar. I'm working on getting all of AMT's trophy Series kits, the old Monogram rods like the blue beetle and red chariot, and the "early iron" series. 

Edited by Draggon, 01 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#73 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

For me my stash has grown based on two things:

Kits I want to build:
When i run across something I`d like to build in the near or far future I snap it up while it`s still "readily" available. If I don`t a year or so later, after the the kit is out of production, "supply and demand" kicks in. In other words, the limited number of unbuilt kits that remain in the market place escalate in cost because they are getting harder to find. Cannot tell you how many times I kicked myself for not acting when I had a chance to acquire a kit at a reasonable price and did`nt do  it. So, in the end, I had to pay a marked up price for a kit on the on-line auction boards due to "supply and demand."

Kit bashing:
When i find a kit that has really cools parts that lend themselves to other builds  I grab mulitples of it for future kit bashing sessions.

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 02 May 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#74 wgflatliner

wgflatliner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Thompson

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

now, the real issue isn't stashing kits - it's finding room to display the kits after they're built.  i find that i'm rapidly approaching the point of giving away built models just to make room for newly completed builds.  or buy more shelves and move them out to the garage.

#75 knarf

knarf

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Full Name:frank russell matrau jr

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

give away models???  shall i supply my address :)

#76 Mr Dedo

Mr Dedo

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Petty

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Have combined boxes of the same kits to free up shelf space for more.

I swore after the first of the year I would stop purchasing kits but

keep adding to the parts box for projects down the road. Every

car or truck on the work bench has some kit bashing. I'll keep

buying them for the parts. Headers, valve covers, frames,

wheels, tires, blowers, radiators-you get the idea... 

#77 PARTSMARTY

PARTSMARTY

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Full Name:MARTY TYRKA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

I HAVE ABOUT 900-1,000 KITS LEFT.TONS OF RATTLE CANS-RESIN-AIR BRUSH AND I LOVE IT.THE ONLY PART I HATE IS WHEN WE MOVED FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER-MOVING IT ALL IS A ROYAL PAIN.WE DON'T PLAN ON EVER MOVING AGAIN-LOL.

Edited by PARTSMARTY, 03 May 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#78 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

now, the real issue isn't stashing kits - it's finding room to display the kits after they're built.  i find that i'm rapidly approaching the point of giving away built models just to make room for newly completed builds.  or buy more shelves and move them out to the garage.

I have a disabled builders group here I help that would love any models,parts,etc. that get in your way.

#79 wgflatliner

wgflatliner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Thompson

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

i'm thinking about the completed builds here.  i'm just running out of room!  i'd like to get some decent builds done before i start just giving them away.  i'd hate to send poor builds to anybody with the knowledge that i was the person that sent them.

hope that makes sense

#80 chev12olet

chev12olet

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Full Name:jason M Shipley

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Okay, here lets bring up an old subject. I have close to 200+ kits in my stash. I intend on building them all plus the new ones I will buy on my journey in the years ahead of me. At least that's what I think and I tell my wife, lol. But really the kits and the cars I like are always changing, so I will always be $$$$ buying and increasing my stash. That's just how it is since I can afford to buy my own hobbies like most adults can (or anyone with the means to support their addiction to plastic can ) and I enjoy creating something different and even making it my own at times.I remember when my stash was well over 800 just 6 yrs ago. When I moved I sold all but 100 and now I'm starting over, lol.so why do I stash, well cause I can. He he he