35 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I remember a poll taken back in the early 80's (Motor Trend?)  where owners of US built VW's had far fewer problems than owners of German built ones. But most owners stated that they felt the German built cars were better built.

#22 Eric Macleod

Eric Macleod

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Macleod

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

I built two of these Sciroccos as a middle school student and still have one of them. I painted it a funny light metallic green. I thought it was a good model. In high school I swear half of the kids had cast off VW Rabbits and Dashers but nobody got a Scirocco. I later had a VW Rabbit and then GTI (probably the most enjoyable car I ever owned with a roof) but have never had a chance to drive a Scirocco. I always wondered how it compared to the GTI. 

That is a bit off the topic. I think you will enjoy the kit.

Eric

#23 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've driven a first gen Scirroco, and I owned an 85 GTI. The GTI was faster and perhaps even handled better, but the Scirocco was fun. Other than my 944, the GTI was the most fun I've had in any car.

#24 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I remember a poll taken back in the early 80's (Motor Trend?)  where owners of US built VW's had far fewer problems than owners of German built ones. But most owners stated that they felt the German built cars were better built.

Consumers Union ranked the VWoA Westmoreland vehicles in 1977-79 had "worse than average maintenance record, including an oil burning problem."[An analyst with Drexel Burnham Lambert said in 1987 "the quality of the cars built in Pennsylvania wasn't up to the quality of the cars in Germany."[An analyst for Global Insight, John Wolkonowicz, said the Rabbit was "probably the most troublesome Volkswagen ever built."

#25 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

I built the Brat back in '79 or '80 ; and I built the Rabbit in the early 80's .

I bought the Subaru at Woolworth's in La Mirada . I remember building it wheil watching the Carol Burnette Show !

I bought the Rabbit at JC Penney's in Whittier for $1.00 from their clearance aisle , back around 1983 . I had my older friend spray paint the body with Testors Car Colors (remember those ?) Sky Blue Metallic  , and I ahnd painted the interior in Testors Flat Sea Blue .

I , too , would LOVE to see these kits reissued ! I can see a WRX Boxster engine swap into that Brat ...

#26 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

OK, SO,, how much oil would the kit burn after it's built?

How long before it rusts out?

Honestly people, the original post is about a model.

I, for one don't gave a flying whatever about the reputation or service record of the real cars.

I think it's a neet little model. wish I had one to fo with my 4 Rabbits.

Don't know about the rest of you people but I find it ridiculous when someone posts up a model and the thread de-evolves into a debate about the quality or lack there-of of  the real car it's supposed to represent. :rolleyes:

It's just a model ,, you don't need to rely on it to get to work in. :mellow:

Well then you should look into any of the countless forums that are so much better than this one that rigidly moderate the content to adhere 100% to the original poster's thoughts.  When you find that place, let us all know so we can bask in it's non-devolving thread excellence.

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

If this, the Rabbit and the Subaru Brat tooling still exist in a dark corner if the tooling vault, they should run some plastic through them this fall...

I read (yes, on the interwebz  :lol:) that tooling created by Matchbox is still owned by Matchbox, but it wasn't clear which kits/tooling were/was Matchbox's and which were AMT's created while under the control of Lesney Corp. Maybe an e-mail to Round2 is in order for those of you wanting to see this kit again.

#28 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Sir people were discussing models, which led a few of us who owned (or in my parent's case subjected to) VW Rabbits. The idea of having the kit back means I could make a model of the biggest most fetid pile of junk I've ever been exposed to...perhaps the New Stanton plant was good, maybe it was (and it was) awful. Does the fact the car I'd be replicating ought to be attached to a tow truck to truly replicate it have bearing on the kit itself. Probably not, but you don't need to come crashing into the thread like Debbie Downer because...ya know God FORBID people just have a natural conversation around here. You'd act like we're debating the pros & cons of Tatra importation after WWII. Lighten up Francis, if you can't handle that EVERY thread here meanders along, by all means start your own forum and I'm sure people will flock to it and it's heavily regimented conversation standards.

Edited by niteowl7710, 17 April 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#29 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

The yellow and green builtups are sweet. 

#30 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

My goodness.

Talk about a walk back in time.

I built this model sometime in the early 80's, back when I was a kid. I found it on the shelf of a locally owned discount store, a junky type of mom and pop pre-Walmart place, if you will. It was the only place in town that carried models, and while I really wanted the International Harvester tractor model, the VW was priced at about the exact amount of money I had in my pocket.  

Truthfully, it was probably the last car that I ever built. I remember thinking 'what a piece of junk', and "here I sit building a car that isn't cool or fun". I switched to War Birds after that, and never really looked back. 

#31 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I really need to wrap up my curbside 'Rocco someday...and those Fujimi A2 'bottle cap' wheels will probably stay

mockup1-vi.jpg

#32 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I always liked that Scriocco , I had a white one with the black or was it red accents

#33 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,407 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Maybe there's not that much demand for a Scirocco kit after all?

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Yep, it went for $20(6 bids) and there is no demand  :huh:

But going by the completed listing's and the high prices they are bringing in, yep, again, no demand what so ever

http://www.ebay.com/...cirocco&_sop=16

Edited by martinfan5, 24 April 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#34 Zarana-X

Zarana-X

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Smith

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd like to get this and the old Rabbit kits, as well.

My friend had a Scirocco we called "The Trash Compactor", but that was more about him than the car. He would never clean it, and trash, mostly food wrappers and cans woud pile up in the back. Moving the seats, and then sliding them back, to let somone in the back seat would crush the trash :lol:

#35 WizPorsche944

WizPorsche944

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Stetler

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I hope to see these kits get reissued.

#36 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'd like to get the Scirocco and Brat kits.  They both look pretty nifty.  :)