#1 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Sitzes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Is Street Racing something that could be posted here? Don't want to water down this thread. Opinions welcome.

#2 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

I say post them considering I see people posting drag cars in the on the workbench section.

#3 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Since no one seems to have any objections, I'm going to try and post my first work in progress here, and if you allow me a little back story, hopefully you will understand why I wanted to Post this here. I was around when street racing was still popular. Back in 1975, I was 17 years old and hung out at the White Castle on South Kingshighway, in St. Louis Mo. There were nights when there was a line waiting to cruise the parking lot. The big nights were Saturday and Sunday, Saturday would consist of new plugs, check the timing and running the valves, checking the tire pressure in the slicks you just mounted for the nights activities, finished by a car wash and polish if your car was'nt primered.There was 7 of us that took the racing serious, though we normally did'nt race for money, bragging rights were king, Money led to fights and or possibly damaged cars and we all worked too hard to have our stuff tore up needlessly. My plan is to recreate most, or all of my friends cars, starting with the simpler ones.  My car is the 65 Chevelle with flames, also is a pic of my motor. These are the only photos of my car taken in 1975 with a 110 instamatic LOL... My Chevelle will have to wait for now as the paint will be hard to duplicate. The other cars I dont have any photos of so I will be working from memory. Two of the cars were Camaros so I decided to build these together as they are so similar.

First up is Pats 68 Camaro.... this car was Butternut yellow with a black interior, Pat built a 302 small block Chevy backed by a turbo 350 trans and 12 bolt rear axle. I started with AMT 68 Camaro kit The SBC came from the AMT Corvrtte LT1 kit as it was more detailed than the original kits motor. I also used this kits Rally Wheels, the Automatic trans came from the Vega Twister kit which I scratch built a more accurate transmission pan for using sheet plastic and hex rod. I have the body and interior and chassis painted but not detailed.

Second is Eddies 67 Camaro, Eddie painted his car Ermine White, It was a Big Block, though the actual cubic inches were never really known, It was a single Holley carb, 4 speed Muncie and 12 bolt rear axle. Eddie ran slicks on open ralley wheels that I took from the same AMT Corvette LT1 kit listed above. The AMTs rear axle lacked detail so I added rear cover  detail and 12 hex bolts. I then scratct built the lakewood traction bars by glueing .100 Evergreen Channel cut to length,squared up and then used the kits rear shocks with the shock removed for the U bolts to connect to the rear end. I started the Big Block using the Revell 396 from the 65 Chevelle kit. I have the body painted as well as the base coat on the chassie and interior, I hope to post an update soon.  OPINIONS COMMENTS SUGGESTIONS ALL WELCOME.

Attached Files

#4 JasonC

JasonC

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Carns

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sweet! My kind of builds. Will be checking on this for updates.

#5 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Got some work  done on the rear axle today still need to add U-bolts. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.JPG   145.61KB   25 downloads
  • Attached File  003.JPG   107.43KB   32 downloads
  • Attached File  002.JPG   119.1KB   41 downloads
  • Attached File  001.JPG   102.2KB   39 downloads

#6 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Roger. Those are "Streetable Racers". Kind of like my car. Over in the avatar.
A 12 second street car.

Edited by Green Duster, 11 April 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#7 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I don't remember any of us ever racing at the drag strip, you didn't want anyone knowing how quick your car was. But some of these cars were brutally fast. Back then the interstate speed limit was 55 MPH, and I received more than one citation for doubling that . They were street driven race cars.

#8 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Full Name:D Ryberg

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Excellent work Roger. Looking forward to more.

#9 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

I got some work done on Eddies Interior today, First time I've ever flocked carpet, not sure I like the results, Need pratice Im sure.

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.JPG   114.08KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  006.JPG   138.61KB   35 downloads
  • Attached File  005.JPG   119.81KB   31 downloads

#10 Dragfreak

Dragfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brunelle

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

great job!! interior looks sweet too!

#11 krazyglu

krazyglu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Witte

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Those are looking good, I really didn't get into street racing( way to much stupidity)..of coarse I am 28 and the world is much different now.  I like the story and the fact that you get to remember the "glory day's" as you recreate your friend's car's. 

#12 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Rear axle installed. not real sure about the axle shackels, may redo. BMF on bodies.Front suspension installed on white Camaro.posed the wheels. Im happy with stance Eddies camaro didnt use air shocks and didnt have the 70s jacked up stance. Slow progress is better than no progress.

Attached Files

#13 dragzz

dragzz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Full Name:thomas crawford

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

vary nice work u have got going on there

#14 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Very cool.  We did quite a bit of street racing back in the mid 60s.  The races were held on Saturday nights out on Ogden Ave. and Kostner, Chicago.  The organizer; s had the full sanction of the Chicago Police Department who posted 1 squad car at the start and the other at the finish line.  Most of the races were challenges matches with no money involved.  However, sometime we had a grudge match for car titles.  After the finish line the road started an incline to the Cicero Ave interchange.  

There were very few accidents, anf if/when they happened, a safety crew was always on scene.

We had a great time; didn't hurt anybody or their property; booze was not allowed at any time; and it beat going all the way out to the track in Oswego.

By the way, I used to run a '56 Chevy 2 door post with a 325hp 327 out of a '64 Chevy Impala.  Too much money in a couple of years spent trying to be competitive forced me to sell it and I bought a '58 VW bug.  No speed parts for that puppy and I saved some money.

#15 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Police in St. Louis, not so friendly, 21 tickets in one year, 17 of which were moving violations, others were for improper equipment and loud exhaust......had a good, well connected attorney. Yes I was stupid! Much wiser today.

#16 am73grand

am73grand

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Lambert

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

These are very cool!!

One of my favorite things to do is build models of my cars and my friends cars.

Keep with the updates!!! I'm enjoying this project!!!

#17 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

I was heavily involved in the local street racing scene back in the day with my 70 Monte Carlo, 454, TH400 3000 conv. 12 bolt 4:88's.   I did pretty well ................. I have a few of these types of builds in the works as well. I am diggin all of these Roger !

Here is a 72 I am working on now, 550HP 454 LS-6 TH400 3000 conv. 12 bolt 4:11

Attached Files

Edited by Alan, 06 May 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#18 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Alan very nice Monte Carlo, most over looked GM product for performance in my opinion. STAY OUT OF TROUBLE! Post some of your builds and works in progress, maybe well start a street race thread.

#19 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Finally finished one. Got laid off again, decided to finish a couple old builds. This one fought me on the final assembly, the windshield is too long and kept the interior from sitting flush so all my hard work to raise the rear end went away, as the car now sits level....oh well it's done. This is Eddies Camaro as I remember it , and overall I'm pleased with the final result. It's no show winner and Pats butternut Camaro should come out better as I learned a lot on this one. Comments welcome ,good or bad ,as is suggestions.

Attached Files

#20 Rusty Sierra

Rusty Sierra

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Rusty S.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

phenomenal work! I gotta ask... what kit is this Camaro from?