#1 madisonwoodsmith

madisonwoodsmith

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:John Shaffner

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Been lookin for one of these for some time. Lots of them out there, but who makes the best one? By best, I mean the one with the fewest problems in fit/finish/assembly. I'm not as young as I used to be and haven't built a kit in 40 years or so, but got the itch.

Thanks, John

#2 Furiousgeorge

Furiousgeorge

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Trent Lawrence

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

The Revell Daytona is by far the better of the two available (the other being an AMT), they also recently reissued the Superbird, which is an older Monogram kit (same as the '70 Roadrunner/GTX). Johan made a Superbird, but I've never built one. The Revellogram kit is simple, 1/24th I believe, but builds into a nice car. Hope that helps!

#3 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,333 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

The Revell Daytona is by far the better of the two available (the other being an AMT), they also recently reissued the Superbird, which is an older Monogram kit (same as the '70 Roadrunner/GTX). Johan made a Superbird, but I've never built one. The Revellogram kit is simple, 1/24th I believe, but builds into a nice car. Hope that helps!

I agree. The Revell 1/25 '69 Daytona is the best by far. The Revell (Monogram) 1/24 kit is much simpler and not as nicely detailed, but does go together easily.

Avoid the AMT kit at all costs.

#4 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

As been mentioned, avoid the AMT Daytona Charger like the plague! The Revell Daytona hands down is a much, much better kit! Not hard to build, and lends itself to some very nice detailing. As far as the Superbird, Johan made the better of the two as far as body accuracy is concerned, but falls short in chassis details.

Also the Johan kit is 1/25 if that's important to you. Be prepared to do some searching for the Johan Superbird however! They do turn up on eBay from time to time, but unbuilt examples can go for big bucks. Easier (and cheaper) to find a rebuilder that hasn't been glued to death.

Here's my Revell Daytona I did a bunch of years ago. I have two more of these kits to one day kitbash with my rebuilder Johan Superbird. ;)

P5050282-vi.jpg

P5050288-vi.jpg

#5 madisonwoodsmith

madisonwoodsmith

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:John Shaffner

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. I kinda figured the AMT wasn't worth much and the Revell kit would offer more detail and whatnot. @Bill..Nice build! Does this not have mirrors? or did you delete them?

Thanks again, John

#6 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

John, look again, it has a mirror on the left door, just as most of the 1:1's did.

Also for the Superbird I like the idea of a kitbash, use the old Jo-Han body on an AMT 69 GTX chassis.

Edited by Craig Irwin, 08 April 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#7 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,660 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

What is the problem with AMT kit? I have it (Got it cheap, had to buy :lol: ), and the parts look pretty good to my eye. I'm just asking, so I can be careful if there are some "Trouble Spots" on the kit.

#8 The Creative Explorer

The Creative Explorer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Erik

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

a lot, try for fun the nosecone to the body. That alone should be enough. I need to dig for a little bit, but I made a comparo once on the body's.

#9 The Creative Explorer

The Creative Explorer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Erik

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

http://www.modelbrou...hilit=superbird it is all in Dutch, but just look at the pictures.