#1 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

a question for picky to extremely picky builders ,,, on the transmission linkage ( I don't know the name of this part ) the I guess a clevis end that screws onto the rod , if I don't have that and just do a 90 bend in the rod is that frowned upon or is it ok , and also I think the rod I am using is to fat , yes , no ? 009-2_zps1a97cf8e.jpg

#2 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

I like seeing your attention to detail. In the photo below, you can see the forward end of the shift rods are bent exactly as you want to do. In 1:1, only one end of each shifter rod needs to have a threaded portion and a clevis for adjustment.

1965_Mopar_4speed_Linkage_A833.jpg

This box, on the other hand, appears to not have any rod-adjustment provisions. The ends of the rods are just slotted on the shifter end...sloppy but effective. There's no hard and fast rule, so you have a little artistic freedom. There are a bajillion different shifter designs, both OEM and aftermarket. Also, cars that will be abused and speed-shifted, like in drag-racing, and especially if the rods have kinks in them, will have fatter rods for strength. Yours look fine.

0577j6d_27.jpeg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 10 April 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#3 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hey Thanks Bill !!!! ,,,, where oh where do you find these pics , i have searched for 2 hours for a pic like that !! , Thanks :rolleyes:

#4 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hey Thanks Bill !!!! ,,,, where oh where do you find these pics , i have searched for 2 hours for a pic like that !! , Thanks :rolleyes:

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=746

#5 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Is that the '62 'Vette you've been working on? If so, here's one showing the '57 'Vette 4 speed linkage from the shop manual, which is similar to the '62.

http://chevy.oldcarm...c/57csoc34.html

Note that it's very similar to the first one Bill posted, with the exeption on the reverse rod.