Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Far Would You Travel To A Show?

Utah from central NJ is the farthest I"ve gone. Since I travel a lot for work I check for shows and fellow modellers near my destination. Sometimes I even buy them dinner....... :D

Also..................I run the club table(T-shirts, buttons are back!!) at NNL East every year, so here's an open invite to all board members to stop by & say "Hi".

Funny thing, the furthest I've traveled for a show is from NJ to Salt Lake city, ironically, with Al Raab! I've also been to Toledo and as far north as Masscar. I would like to get out to NNL West and I have a standing invite to the South Africa NNL from my friends there. I'd really like to do that one!

For those headed long distances to NNL East, we truly appreciate you're coming! The restaurant at the host hotel is closed this year, so we will be hosting a free barbecue at the hotel for our traveling friends! This will be a first class event with a good caterer.

Also, for those who haven't made hotel reservations yet, we are near full up! So call the hotel NOW. Info is on the site at www.nnleast.com

And make sure you say hello! It drives me crazy when I get emails the week after the show saying, "I saw you there but you looked busy". Never too busy to say hello.

I've gone from the west coast to Lawrence, Mass. for a show, but my main purpose for flying east was to visit my son at B.U. It sure was a hi-light to see some of the top builders of the east coast, though! I managed to snag a 69 Shirley Shahan AMX (a holy grail?) that I have never seen in my area. I have driven about a 150 mi so far and hope to do a 6-7 hr drive to a show next year with the wifey. (could be expensive...she loves to shop!) I also hope to plan a vacation around an NNL show (which one would people suggest?) perhaps next year or this fall/winter.

I used to make the 5+ hour drive every year, up to a few years ago. Won't make it this year either. :huh: A five hour drive, alone, plus so-so health make it difficult. I hope you all have fun, spend a lot, and as I used to say to my folks in my youth when they went shopping "Buy me something!" :D

Edited by Jon Cole

Old age pains prevent me form driving more than 2 or 3 hours. That's enough time to get me up to Jacksonville for the IPMS show and down to Tampa for the MAGS show. I prefer to fly. Marcia has been talking about taking a train to the IPMS nationals in Colorado this year.

Lately I can't even seem to find the time to get to the ACME monthly meetings 10 miles away.

I can certainly understand this situation there Bill. Since I'm the one who has to be with my son who is somewhat of a Special Needs child and a ex who has a couple of real serious health issues , it's hard to go anywhere . Generally, I can do a day trip as within my state . I'm trying to at least go to Maryland this year ...........

Work seems to be more of a hurdle to me attending shows than distance. I have wanted to attend the ACME show in Atlanta for the last 7 years and something always comes up that makes it impossible to be there. My oldest brother lives 10 miles away from their venue so lodging is not an issue. I had thought about going to the NNL East this year but then they scheduled our national meeting in Seattle and I will be flying about 5,300 miles roundtrip (cross country) next week and have another flight the week after so it is out of the question.

I have attended shows in North and South Carolina and wish I could hit more of them. I joined the SCMA last year and did not make it to a meeting but joined again this year because I want to support the hobby AND make it to a meeting!