#1 TheRX7Project

TheRX7Project

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Full Name:James Arens

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

So you swapped that big block into your '37 Ford, got the radiator in place, and then you came across a little problem: what are you going to do for radiator hoses? The stock ones obviously aren't going to fit, I suppose maybe you could try bending them out of sprue but what about when you have a bunch of tight bends to make?

The soloution: solder wrapped in black (or, any color if you're into that) heat shrink tubing.

Simply cut a piece of solder a little longer than you think you need- you can even mock up the new hose before hand then straighten it back out. Put the heat shrink tubing around it, shrink it, then bend it back to the shape you need.

Not only does it let you make hoses in whatever shape you need, it looks good too!

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,825 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

And if you don't have any heat shrink tubing, just paint the "hose" flat black!

#3 clovis

clovis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

This is a great thread.

I am just getting ready for a build, and wanted to make realistic looking hoses. Thank you!!!!!

#4 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Another trick for hoses is solid(not stranded)-core wire with black jacketing, about the size of the kit hoses; cut the wire to length and strip about 1/16" of the coating on the ends....voila! locating pins.

#5 tabsscale1

tabsscale1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Full Name:Todd Buckles

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

There is also another way. At Hobby Lobby in the jewelry making Department there is a product called Pony Bead lacing. It is a hollow black rubber about the size of most radiator hoses. I just use some plastic rod as pins to hold it in place. I used it on my 49 Merc that I did last year and one i just Finished last week. Here is the pic of the engine with it being used.

IMG_4028.jpg

#6 pandamonium2112

pandamonium2112

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Toone

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Another twist on this tip is. Strip the insulation (Appropriate diameter and Color) off of some wire and slide the solder into it, then bend and cut it to length. I've even used solder in the center of braided fuel line. Possibilities are endless..

#7 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

What Steve said, but use wire from large paper clips.

I find it easiest to shape the wire first then slide the insulation over the top.

And don't stop at black - colour code your hoses to match the paint...