Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rail dragster double

Gldknght7

When I was a kid in the mid 70's, I built a dragster called a Dual Jewel. I don't remember much about it, except that it had two engines and I did a crappy job on it.

When I saw this kit at Hobby Lobby, I knew I had to build a double engine dragster again.

post-11641-0-54484000-1365905699_thumb.j

post-11641-0-32026400-1365905710_thumb.j

I made some progress last night. I decided to paint the frame, valve covers, oil pan, and engine mounts dark red, the engine blocks will be aluminum, and the body will be either gold or bronze. Because I want to paint the valve covers, I had to strip the chrome off them. Took all afternoon and evening to dissolve.

post-11641-0-71350400-1366088893_thumb.j

post-11641-0-32494100-1366088908_thumb.j

post-11641-0-09651300-1366088915_thumb.j

Comments are welcome.

After working hard to get this frame put together straight I came back to it last night only to discover the frame was leaning over to the left rather badly. I think the X-frame at the back was warped. I ended up taking the fram apart, removing the X frame completely and cutting the x out, then regluing everything. I had to cut part way through the left side rail at the back of the flat part, and re glue that to remove a warp there. So far this kit has been more of a challenge than I was expecting. The frame is reglued, and looks a lot better now. Maybe some paint will be added tomorrow.

Comments are welcome.

Edited by Gldknght7

Hey Doug. What did you use to remove the chrome ? Easy off in the yellow can will remove it in a minute or two. Also there are a bunch of other stuff the guys here use and you can see a thread about strippers and chrome removers in the question section. Good luck with your build.

I used Clorox with bleach. It wasn't the ideal thing to use, but we had it on hand. I think just straight bleach would have been better. Do you think Easy Off would dissolve the plastic cup I used as a container? I've used some kinds of oven cleaner for, well, cleaning ovens and was really bothered by the smell. Felt like it was burning my lungs. My model area is not well ventilated when it's cold out, and can't have fumes getting into the rest of the house.

Edited by Gldknght7

I use the Easy Off (don't use an off brand) and put my piece into a plastic shoebox that has a lid. Spray it outside, close the lid, and then you can bring it back in. Works for me!

Happy modeling!

Made some more progress today since we're having a blizzard and I couldn't make it to work. I think my frame is straight enough, so will leave it as it is.

I think I like this color for the frame, oil pans, valve covers and interior.

Need to wire the engine blocks and paint them.

post-11641-0-48438600-1366329799_thumb.j

post-11641-0-44691800-1366329815_thumb.j

post-11641-0-55239400-1366329829_thumb.j

Comments are welcome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, between this site being down, my new job and summer setting in and me not wanting to be inside, it's been a long time since I posted. I have done a little work on the dragster, so here a couple photos. There's lots of chrome on this kit, and all of the tree attachment points are visible, so I'm using a fair bit of bare metal foil to touch up places where chrome has been removed.

post-11641-0-00719300-1376354377_thumb.j

post-11641-0-76165000-1376354386_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Happy New Years every one. I've been working on this dragster today. I had to trim out quite a bit of material from the inside of the tires to make the hubs fit, and had to drill out the holes in the front hubs so the metal axles would fit, but ended up getting all four tires mounted.

Photos to follow.

For both paint and chrome, I keep one of those disposable Glad plastic sealable containers about half full with Castrol Super Clean. I drop painted or chromed pieces in and let them sit. Takes everything right off, and then a water rince (with sometimes a toothrbush scrub for corners and stuff) and they come out perfect. And as a benefit, I don't have to worry about the fumes or any dangerous chemicals getting spilled or worse. You can strain it and keep using it, too. Works very well.

doug

For both paint and chrome, I keep one of those disposable Glad plastic sealable containers about half full with Castrol Super Clean. I drop painted or chromed pieces in and let them sit. Takes everything right off, and then a water rince (with sometimes a toothrbush scrub for corners and stuff) and they come out perfect. And as a benefit, I don't have to worry about the fumes or any dangerous chemicals getting spilled or worse. You can strain it and keep using it, too. Works very well.

doug

Good Grief we're still on the paint and chrome stripping? This thread is actually about my model build, not the techniques for stripping paint or chrome. :rolleyes:

Sorry for offering advice. I won't bother the thread again. Enjoy the build.

Please don't misunderstand, I welcome comments and advise, it's just that the paint stripping was discussed back in April of last year and the build has moved on well past that point.

Edited by Gldknght7