69 VW Bug ... 66 to 69 Bug 8/30/13 new headlights, again!

• You cannot reply to this topic
49 replies to this topic

#21 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how many differences there are in one model year of Volks to the next.

Charlie Larkin

I know many of the differences from having three of them, but this one is amazing me with those I wasn't aware of until I started. I did my wife's '68 20 years ago but never saw the engine lid difference.  Now she informs me her's had bumperetts ... no way I'm going back to it ... don't think. anyway. :D

Maybe VW Dave will be checking in and let me know what I'm missing. :blink: :o

Edited by Foxer, 19 May 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#22 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

To the engine now ... the plug wires were giving me thoughts on how to do it with the nicely detailed distributor from the kit. I did insert some phone wire insulation into the cylinder cover at the spark plugs .. this will improve the look there hopefully ...

Distributor-PlugWiresDSC_1152_zpseb8ae9a

The distributor has small knobs at the wires and drilling them would be difficult. I decided to use some RB Motion Spark Plug Boots and used a trick I learned here to drill thru the center of the distributor knobs. This will let me use small wires into the distributor to receive the boots and plug wires. We'll see if all this work pays off later ...

Distributor-PlugWiresDSC_1154_zps55ec0b6

An aluminum tube drilled out on one end to slip over the knobs on the distributor and put the drill into the center ...

Distributor-PlugWiresDSC_1151_zpsd622ed2

distributor-plugwiresDSC_1149_zps6977d81

#23 rigbuilder

rigbuilder

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Martin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Who makes that white 66 kit? I'm working on converting a 69 to a much older version and its proving to be a tremendous amount of work. If I can locate and get my hands on one of those 66 kits I might have an easier go of it. Plus that kit has some killer engine detailing compared to the 1985 Revell release of the 69.

#24 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

This is looking good, can't wait to see it finished.

#25 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Who makes that white 66 kit? I'm working on converting a 69 to a much older version and its proving to be a tremendous amount of work. If I can locate and get my hands on one of those 66 kits I might have an easier go of it. Plus that kit has some killer engine detailing compared to the 1985 Revell release of the 69.

This is the Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Beetle I'm using for this build. It's 1'24. The engine is much better than Revells and the '66 body is older. What year are you making?

Edited by Foxer, 25 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#26 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Maybe VW Dave will be checking in and let me know what I'm missing. :blink: :o

My real '68 came to me with early bumpers on it, so I've forgotten about the bumperguards that would have been there. :D

The only difference that is needed, aside from the upright headlights, would be the fuel filler door in the right front quarter panel. The early '68s had a finger notch for opening it, but the later ones didn't because a cable release setup was added(lever was in the glovebox).

Here's a '69 with the later gas door:

1064898.jpg

#27 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

The '66 kit is by Tamiya. I'm very curious about this backdating project of yours....I'm wondering how far back you're going, because the Gunze-Sangyo/Mr. Hobby '56 might be a better starting point, even though it's a curbside

#28 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Nice build going here, very interested.  :rolleyes:

#29 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

My real '68 came to me with early bumpers on it, so I've forgotten about the bumperguards that would have been there. :D

The only difference that is needed, aside from the upright headlights, would be the fuel filler door in the right front quarter panel. The early '68s had a finger notch for opening it, but the later ones didn't because a cable release setup was added(lever was in the glovebox).

Here's a '69 with the later gas door:

Thanks, Dave. I am planning to do the fuel door (closed!) but that's interesting about the release. I can't recollect how either worked ... I had both a '68 and '69, but, unfortunately, my mind is a '46.  :lol:

That's a nice, big photo showing the fuel door .. I saved it and might be useful to trace for the scribing.

Edited by Foxer, 26 May 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#30 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

I've been planning and made a list of the modifications I need to do to convert from a '66 Beetle to a '69 ...

Body

Vertical headlights - Revell VW Street Machine

Larger Tailights - Revell VW Street Machine

Fuel Door - scribe

Rear Engine lid - Revell VW Street Machine

Front Trunk Lid - lower edge squared off slightly

Front and Rear bumpers - Revell VW Street Machine

Interior

Add Dash padding

Seats from Revell VW Street Machine

Suspension

IRS - scratch build diagonal arms

Wheels - resin castings

Engine

Air Cleaner - reverse inlet, add large tube

Vacuum  Line to Distributor

Extractor Exhaust - scratch build

#31 rigbuilder

rigbuilder

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

This is the Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Beetle I'm using for this build. It's 1'24. The engine is much better than Revells and the '66 body is older. What year are you making?

I am going to try to bring it back 6 years to a 63. My original plan was to make it a split but there is WAY to much body work for my skills so ill just bring it back a few years. I came to that conclusion last night while laying in bed trying to figure out how to move the rear fender wells from the chassis to the body and the same with the front just like on a 1:1 body. I'm thread jacking here ill stop now. Sorry. Keep us updates with this build brother. I love old VW's no matter what year.

#32 rigbuilder

rigbuilder

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

null.jpg

Look familiar?

#33 rigbuilder

rigbuilder

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Fixer will you do me a favor?

#34 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Been awhile since my last update but I have been plugging along. The extractor exhaust pipes have been twisting in my brain but I think I have a plan, so they may be next.

I had asked a question here on the IRS suspension and got some suggestions and they are now done. I didn't get too exact and left the shocks mounted as they were. I made a diagonal from strips, rounds and pins and it came out with the look I was after ...

diagarm2DSC_1177_zps4a80362e.jpg

diagarmDSC_1181_zpsc7ce4029.jpg

Also slowly coming along on the bench is the dash padding cutout, the plug wires, read fender seam beading I had sanded off (replaced with .03" triangular strip).

#35 Jeremy Jon

Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Good work, going to be some nice detail there!

#36 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

nice build !!!!!!

#37 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

Thanks, Jeremy and Richard.  :)

#38 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

nice detail. V Dubs are cool !!!!

#39 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Little by little  ... I got the tail lights from the Revell kit mounted with a little putty to square off the bottoms. They aren't a perfect match but will do. I used some .03" triangular strips to replace the rear fender bead. It looks a bit big in it's first primer but a bit more fine sanding will get it closer so it doesn't stand out so much.

taillightsDSC_1183_zps84a113a9.jpg

taillightsDSC_1182_zps41452b8c.jpg

#40 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,607 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

I attacked the head lights over the downtime here. The Revell kit again came through with the correct headlight rings. They sit vertical and set into the body rather than flush with the fender. I shaped some tube to fit the fender and glued them inside. They got a bit of putty while they were open and then sealed with a cut out disk.

HeadlightsDSC_1191_zps351d6de9.jpg

HeadlightsDSC_1195_zps37597f09.jpg

HeadlightsDSC_1201_zpsd4ddcc37.jpg

HeadlightsDSC_1204_zpse5c148d1.jpg